Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Minister takes baby to work

Minister takes baby to work

Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:50 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Minister takes baby to work

I've just read this article and initially when I saw the headline thought, how dare they, until I got to the middle of the article to read that the Minister has been taking her baby to work.

I would understand if this was someone's business or something like that, but taking your baby to work. Sorry, but it isn't appropriate - end of. I would imagine if it was a small business or your business that one would be able to juggle both but not in the public service.

I bet your bottom dollar if I wanted to take my baby to work I wouldn't be allowed to if I worked in the APS. I wouldn't though in these circumstances as you wouldn't be able to give your all - to this role. Having said that, if I had my own business and did it, I doubt I would have an issue. Public money, public time.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/new...d/1086870.html
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Minister takes baby to work

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I've just read this article and initially when I saw the headline thought, how dare they, until I got to the middle of the article to read that the Minister has been taking her baby to work.

I would understand if this was someone's business or something like that, but taking your baby to work. Sorry, but it isn't appropriate - end of. I would imagine if it was a small business or your business that one would be able to juggle both but not in the public service.

I bet your bottom dollar if I wanted to take my baby to work I wouldn't be allowed to if I worked in the APS. I wouldn't though in these circumstances as you wouldn't be able to give your all - to this role. Having said that, if I had my own business and did it, I doubt I would have an issue. Public money, public time.

Even if I was allowed to take my child/baby to work, I wouldn't - the main reason I go to work is to get away from him!!! Although he is 5 now, so perhaps back when he was a baby & was unable to answer me back I would have felt differently if the chance arose.... although I still doubt it! lol
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:43 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh

So what, this is the 21st century. As long as it didn't interfer with the work, who cares less whether they take the baby or not. In fact, the PS lets staff take kids to work as long as they behave themselves. Most entities like the public service would probably have creches now anyway.A senior Director of the Dept of Emergency Services (Qld) once had no-one to care for his dog for a week, so he took it to work. What would you rather have happen, they take the time off? As long as it didn't interfer with the work, who cares less whether they take the baby or not.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 15th 2007 at 7:58 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

What's wrong with using a kennel?

For the dog, not the baby.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:59 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
What's wrong with using a kennel?

For the dog, not the baby.
1.Very pampered dog apparently.
2. Senior Director, so he can virtually do what he wants.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Thats absolutely ridiculously!! Having a 12 month old I can caticourically state that even if I had a job filling envelopes from 9 - 5 I wouldn't be able to do it with my daughter. Not giving all to the job not giving all to your child!!

Id like to think I'm liberal enough but this takes the biscuit!!!! Ridiculous. And shes the minister of health!! Id take Mary Harney any day (our Irish M of Health).
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mairead
Thats absolutely ridiculously!! Having a 12 month old I can caticourically state that even if I had a job filling envelopes from 9 - 5 I wouldn't be able to do it with my daughter. Not giving all to the job not giving all to your child!!
As Minister, she would probably have the Exeecutive Assistant or on on the Admin Assistants look after it as well, if she couldn't.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Your probably right. So theres two people not able to give 100% to their jobs.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Qld Government staff at all levels frequently bring their children to work whenever they feel like it. The offices have various kids wandering around, some more supervised than others. They are often sat in front of computers by their parents to while away the time with the result that the work queues up on the printer behind pages and pages of brightly coloured print-outs. With a twn minute break to get a sandwich you find yourself queued up behind Ms Thing and her indecisive 8 year old who can't decide whether top have chips with her burger.
Sorry, just one of my pet hates, especially with the Christmas holidays looming. I appreciate the difficulties and costs of school holiday childcare and I would support the introduction of a creche or something similar at work. I don't feel that an office environment is really the right place for kids.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking for quite a few of the Admin/Exec Assistants that I know, there would only be one answer to that one!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:20 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I am a middle mngt civil servant and I wouldn't be able to do my job with my child at work either now at the age of 9 or when he was a baby/toddler. Even if one of my many staff watched over him I wouldn't be able to do my job properly - perhaps it is me but I would want to know that he alright and would be checking on him - something I don't take time out to do at the moment.

Being a minister would be a nightmare with a child - even with many, many,many staff - there is absolutely no way you could do your job properly or be a proper parent at the same time.

Iv'e worked at home a lot, especially when my son was young and it is impossible to dedicate all your time to your papers and laptop. How much more difficult would it be in a office?

Last edited by killamarsh; Nov 15th 2007 at 9:23 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It was fairly unfortunate that the original remarks (perhaps ill judged) actually were supposed to reflect her innate inability to do the job (with which I concur) rather than her inability to do it because she was a new mum. The woman in question is a teflon coated light weight IMHO

I left my kid in child care from a fairly early age - absolutely no way could I have done my job with a baby in tow. I did once (and only once out of desperation) take a sick son to work and he slept in the school sick room all day so wasnt a problem but I would not have done it had I had any sort of support network which could have done it for me!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

She is obviously not doing her job properly if she has to type one handed or is late for meetings because of settling the baby etc. Apart from her constantly having one eye on the baby and she wouldn't be much of a mother if she wasn't doing that, how distracting must it be for others in the meetings?

Taking your kids in on odd days is one thing, a needy baby is totally different.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Given her job I wonder if she's entitled to paid maternity leave. If so then the public would be paying for her anyway. I'm surprised at how many women want her to shove her breast-feeding baby into childcare.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think taking a baby to work on a daily basis should be allowed. There is NO WAY you can give 100% when you are constantly at the beck and call of a little one. I work from home and I've recently had to cut back from five days a week to three because I just couldnt cope with it all, my DD constantly interupts me for nappy changes, feeds or just attention. Plus I was feeling guilty as I was in front of the computer all week long and she was sat in her walker or rocker on on the floor when I felt I should spend time playing with her.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that women can't have it all. If she is so keen to look after the baby herself then she should step aside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.