Reload this Page >

Mining jobs in Australia

Mining jobs in Australia

Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

melanied1711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mining jobs in Australia

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I've been lucky enough to get a job on the mines, they've sorted my visa, relocation, flights and everything. I fly out next week. I'm so excited!! I'm a Quantity Surveyor btw.
That's fantastic! Well done you must be over the moon.
You don't know us and you will probably be very busy getting sorted when you get there.But if you hear anything that any be of interest to us and you happen to have the time then please get in touch.
Good luck and enjoy
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I've been lucky enough to get a job on the mines, they've sorted my visa, relocation, flights and everything. I fly out next week. I'm so excited!! I'm a Quantity Surveyor btw.
Nice one! Where are you gonna be working/living??
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

Seems like the mines are a bit like gettingbon the north sea oil rigs and aberdeen is always booming....anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing Aberdeen will maybe confirm that it's still the early 90's up there !!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Nice one! Where are you gonna be working/living??
Working in Hazelmere for approx 6 weeks training, living 15 mins in East Perth for a little while then we need to find somewhere more permanent, We're thinking Secret Harbour cause my Mrs has a friend there, and near a rugby team I want to go play with. But we'll go check it out before we decide.
After the 6 weeks training I'll be working FIFO throughout WA. Not sure if one particular site or various yet.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:09 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melanied1711
Hi there.
Just looking for some advice really.
We are hoping to move to Australia within the next 18months. My Husband is looking for work in the mining industry. He holds an HGV class1 licence and ADR licence (dangerous goods).
Trawled the internet which is full of companies asking for money to find us a job. Is this the only way to go or can we apply to mines direct in some way? If so how?
Don't know where to start

Many thanks
Why doesn't he get into what he does now? Lots of jobs going and I know of several people who got poached while delivering DGs to the mines.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Why doesn't he get into what he does now? Lots of jobs going and I know of several people who got poached while delivering DGs to the mines.
Problem is that there isnt really any shortage of truck drivers in mining. Most companies are inundated with applicants. The skills shortage does exist, but for particular skills. Truckies are considered entry level for the industry. Skills that are in demand include heavy diesal fitters, rig fitters, expereinced drillers, jumbo ops and then the proffessional roles such as engineers and geologists
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Hi Evantell, do you have any names of the Tranport companies who we can contact, im trying to find out who delivers fuel for Exon/Mobil, i guess they use a contractor, a few years ago a Brit consultant got me into the Giacchi Brothers truck company, in Burnaby, sadly it fell through, it still cost me though. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Regards Phil.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks EvanTel
Any ideas of companies or where to start getting into what he does now?
Thankyou xx
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Problem is that there isnt really any shortage of truck drivers in mining. Most companies are inundated with applicants. The skills shortage does exist, but for particular skills. Truckies are considered entry level for the industry. Skills that are in demand include heavy diesal fitters, rig fitters, expereinced drillers, jumbo ops and then the proffessional roles such as engineers and geologists
The other issue is truck driver isn't on the skills list & even if it were, hand in your HGV and get a basic C class car license in Australia.
Anyone who's a truck driver is dreaming if they think they're going to get a visa for Aus.
Are plenty of truck drivers jobs in Karratha. Getting into mining is a whole other issue.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Sorry simply not true. I work for one of the largest DG hauliers in WA and we are actively advertising and are struggling to get suitable candidates. SOme of our best have been picked up by miners offering big $$$.
Sure we get applicants but you wouldn't trust many of then with cyanide and ammonium nitrate loads.

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
The other issue is truck driver isn't on the skills list & even if it were, hand in your HGV and get a basic C class car license in Australia.
Anyone who's a truck driver is dreaming if they think they're going to get a visa for Aus.
Are plenty of truck drivers jobs in Karratha. Getting into mining is a whole other issue.
Thats is the other issue.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by 2royalgreenjackets
Hi Evantell, do you have any names of the Tranport companies who we can contact, im trying to find out who delivers fuel for Exon/Mobil, i guess they use a contractor, a few years ago a Brit consultant got me into the Giacchi Brothers truck company, in Burnaby, sadly it fell through, it still cost me though. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Regards Phil.
Sorry not sure who hauls for these guys.

Thanks EvanTel
Any ideas of companies or where to start getting into what he does now?
Thankyou xx
Search for chemical companies in WA, you'll find us!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Sorry simply not true. I work for one of the largest DG hauliers in WA and we are actively advertising and are struggling to get suitable candidates. SOme of our best have been picked up by miners offering big $$$.
Sure we get applicants but you wouldn't trust many of then with cyanide and ammonium nitrate loads.

Thats is the other issue.
EvannTel,
Is it worth then applying to who you work for? My Husband will have excellent references from his current employer in fact he is hoping to get a job through them at one of their Aus based companies. But they do not carry DG and that is the field he is looking to get into.
If you want to mail me privately the details are on here.
Many thanks for all your advice it is very much appreciated when there is so much negativity surrounding the situation that matters so much to us.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

EvannTel,
Is it worth then applying to who you work for? My Husband will have excellent references from his current employer in fact he is hoping to get a job through them at one of their Aus based companies. But they do not carry DG and that is the field he is looking to get into.
If you want to mail me privately the details are on here.
Many thanks for all your advice it is very much appreciated when there is so much negativity surrounding the situation that matters so much to us.
You can call it negativity, but it is probably just realism. I have just checked all the occupations lists, even the 457 (temporary visa) list and truck driver is not there. So even if he can get a job offer, getting a visa is another matter. Job offer is not enough in itself to get a visa.

If truck driver is not on the ENS or 457 lists (and by all means check them, I could have missed it) then the only visa option is the RSMS visa which does not have an occupation list.

Your OH would need a diploma to qualify for the RSMS visa (non-negotiable) and it has to go through some kind of regional board approval, the regional board will amongst other things need to verify that there are no local candidates that can fill the role. One of our long standing member on BE has just been turned down for this visa because a couple of local recruitment agents said they could get candidates in.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You can call it negativity, but it is probably just realism. I have just checked all the occupations lists, even the 457 (temporary visa) list and truck driver is not there. So even if he can get a job offer, getting a visa is another matter. Job offer is not enough in itself to get a visa.

If truck driver is not on the ENS or 457 lists (and by all means check them, I could have missed it) then the only visa option is the RSMS visa which does not have an occupation list.

Your OH would need a diploma to qualify for the RSMS visa (non-negotiable) and it has to go through some kind of regional board approval, the regional board will amongst other things need to verify that there are no local candidates that can fill the role. One of our long standing member on BE has just been turned down for this visa because a couple of local recruitment agents said they could get candidates in.
Thankyou,
You misunderstood my negativity comment though, I wasn't referring to the very helpful comments I receive on this site good or bad. As you will probably know being an expat. it is tough going finding how to get into Australia but hopefully we will be as lucky as you.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou,
You misunderstood my negativity comment though, I wasn't referring to the very helpful comments I receive on this site good or bad. As you will probably know being an expat. it is tough going finding how to get into Australia but hopefully we will be as lucky as you.
Well hopefully I have assisted iby narrowing it down to the RSMS visa which looks to be your only option. So does your OH have a diploma? That is next question, if he does not then RSMS is out.

If he does, then you should follow up some of these leads as finding the employer is next step.

If he does not have a diploma then I would suggest you recheck the "ENSOL" and the "457 occupations" list to see if his occupation is on there. I think it is not, but they are long lists and I could have skipped it. If the occupation should only be on the 457 list, then you need to understand that this is a temporary visa and always will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.