Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mining jobs in Australia

Mining jobs in Australia

Old May 22nd 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

charliebass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mining jobs in Australia

Does anybody here have experience working in the mining industry?

I'm particulary interested in jobs such as TA's (trade assistants) and other entry level positions such as this on a FIFO/camp basis but have found it very difficult to find any openings for this type of work. I've tried contacting the only agency I know of; www.miningemployment.com.au but they don't deal with entry level stuff. I haven't been direct to the big companies such as bhpbilton or rio tinto as I assume they use placement agencies.

I'm planning on heading out towards Perth and WA in general looking for work like this during my holiday breaks at trade school for around 6 weeks. I have experience working on heavy diesel equipment and welding but no trade certs in either area (and i'm studying for auto mechanics at trade school) so I doubt i'd get in as a qualified mechanic or welder but would hope to use these skills in some capacity.

I'd really appreciate anyone to share their experiences working in the mining industry in Australia, where you went and what you did etc even what the wages are like if possible.

Thanks heaps

Charlie
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:21 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mining jobs in Australia

What Visa are you going on?
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi paulf

I'm going on a student visa with work rights. That means I can work up to 20 hours a week when trade school is in term and unrestricted hours when its not. I only have classes for 8 months of the year with a 2 month break over christmas so I have long periods I can work unrestricted and full time. I'm looking to get a FIFO job as something like a trade assistant so I can save a maximum amount of cash to help pay for school fees and living costs. I've heard stories of people making over $1500+ a week (average of) as a TA, does this sound right to you? It would be really good if it was!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my PM by the way.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a mate here in Bendigo who is, if I'm correct, just above a Nipper and earns in excess of $300 per day, 7 on 7 off.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:20 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Labour hire companies are the best bet if you dont have PR visa
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
I have a mate here in Bendigo who is, if I'm correct, just above a Nipper and earns in excess of $300 per day, 7 on 7 off.
That sounds great, just what I would be looking for. But whats a nipper? Something entry-level I assume? Any reccommendations on labour hire companies paulf or anyone?

Thanks for all your help
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Yes, a nipper is a general hand from what I've been led to believe. If I had my heavy license I would be asking for work at my local gold mine.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
Yes, a nipper is a general hand from what I've been led to believe. If I had my heavy license I would be asking for work at my local gold mine.
So what do you do in the mines Dried Graze? Where did you go to look for work and how hard was it to find?

I actually have a mate in the mines in WA (not sure where), FIFO Perth. He started off washing pots for 12 hour shifts taking home $1500 a week and built things up from there. The last job he had was managing the bar until recently but now he has landed himself a supervisory position and is earning over $70k for a 7 on 7 off basis, i think... One thing i do remember him telling me was that where he worked whatever wage they were told they were being paid was after tax

I'm just looking for a way in myself, something that I can do in my time off from trade school. But many if not most of the labour hire companies only deal with skilled trades and technical positions. You always hear there is a large demand for workers in the mines but by the looks of things the work is harder to find than some would have you believe, at least in the un/semi skilled areas.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by charliebass
So what do you do in the mines Dried Graze? Where did you go to look for work and how hard was it to find?
As I mentioned in my last post, I would apply if I had the truck license. My mate said there was work going and I handed my CV. It was hinted that if I had the license they would have snapped me up.

I actually have a mate in the mines in WA (not sure where), FIFO Perth. He started off washing pots for 12 hour shifts taking home $1500 a week and built things up from there. The last job he had was managing the bar until recently but now he has landed himself a supervisory position and is earning over $70k for a 7 on 7 off basis, i think... One thing i do remember him telling me was that where he worked whatever wage they were told they were being paid was after tax
Yes, I'm sure he told me that this was after tax too.

I'm just looking for a way in myself, something that I can do in my time off from trade school. But many if not most of the labour hire companies only deal with skilled trades and technical positions. You always hear there is a large demand for workers in the mines but by the looks of things the work is harder to find than some would have you believe, at least in the un/semi skilled areas.
I gather that they do a lot of internal recruitment and the only jobs I see are the more technical ones, as you say.