Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mining job salaries

Mining job salaries

Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:11 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Mining job salaries

Can anyone let me know what salary range to expect for a contract role in a mining company that would require occasional visits (and stays) to the mining site? Just a range would be helpful. PM me if you would rather. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:21 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mining job salaries

Doh - realise that this is too broad a question. What I mean is, if you were to earn say $50K doing your regular job, how much more would you earn by doing the same job but moving into mining? Would it be 1.25 x, 1.5 x, 2 x etc?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

Still too broad - depends on company, role, roster, qualifications, location in some cases.

And if you have to spend time on a minesite and accommodation isn't provided, expect a large portion of your seemingly awesome pay go on ridiculously overpriced accommodation esp. in Karratha etc.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

What kind of job are you taking about? That will make a big difference on what the salary is. How often are you talking about working at the mines? Would you be home all month and then there two days?

Is the job related to mining even when not at the mine site? My husband is a mining engineer but works in the city, so he still makes good money although probably a little less because he's not out on site. But if you're talking an electrician who does occasional small contracts out at the mine then you'd have to find out what the hourly contract rate is for that position.

The question really is too hard to answer the way it stands.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:21 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by comet555
What kind of job are you taking about?
It's an IT job based in the city but with regular travel out to the mines.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Can anyone let me know what salary range to expect for a contract role in a mining company that would require occasional visits (and stays) to the mining site? Just a range would be helpful. PM me if you would rather. Thanks.
I'm working for FMG who are building a new iron-ore mine in the Pilbara. Site based contract salaries for guys who FIFO range from $80k to $500k depending on role and speciality (Cleaner to Mine Manager). Perth based people who may have to fly up there occassionally for a few days at a time (sometimes just for the day) range from $70k to $600k (Document Controller to Project Director).

Hope this helps.

Edit in light of your reply above. I know someone who does this and he is on $75k.

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 11th 2008 at 4:25 am. Reason: Something to add
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:28 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm working for FMG who are building a new iron-ore mine in the Pilbara. Site based contract salaries for guys who FIFO range from $80k to $500k depending on role and speciality (Cleaner to Mine Manager). Perth based people who may have to fly up there occassionally for a few days at a time (sometimes just for the day) range from $70k to $600k (Document Controller to Project Director).

Hope this helps.

Edit in light of your reply above. I know someone who does this and he is on $75k.
Thanks for that - very helpful.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

I'm flying out to Perth in the summer to start a job where I'll be flying in and out of the mines all the time....pay should be around $50k + accom + travel which seeing as I havent even qualified is pretty good money.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It's an IT job based in the city but with regular travel out to the mines.
It also depends on who is reasonsible for paying for the salary. If you're employed directly by a mining company but happen to be in the city then I would expect wages closer to what they would get out at site.

If the employer is just a regular IT employer who is contracting out to the mines on occassion, then your regularly salary would be the same as everyone else. But the contract pay for going up there should be pretty high. So it would depend on how often and for how long the mine work is.

I still can't answer your question though
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

This doesn't answer your mining question, but I thought this might be useful.

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs07...Technology.pdf
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It very much depends on what your actual job is. You say IT, but in mining this can be anything from DBA to some one building block models. The former isnt going to be well paid - about the same as a administrator, the later could be VERY highly paid. It also depends on the company. If they are a small junior out exploring with no operating mine, then the pay will probably not be as good as a major company, as the junior has no real income. If you PM me with more details, then i could give a reasonable assesment
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Doh - realise that this is too broad a question. What I mean is, if you were to earn say $50K doing your regular job, how much more would you earn by doing the same job but moving into mining? Would it be 1.25 x, 1.5 x, 2 x etc?
We pay a 35% premium to live up there permanently.

FIFO roles seem to pay 50%-100% more.

But you seem to be describing a consulting-type role. I am not sure you would expect a premium for days trips, even regular ones, above the good Perth salaries generally. I am likely to go to the Pilbara about once a month for the foreseeable future but don't get paid anymore for it.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
We pay a 35% premium to live up there permanently.

FIFO roles seem to pay 50%-100% more.

But you seem to be describing a consulting-type role. I am not sure you would expect a premium for days trips, even regular ones, above the good Perth salaries generally. I am likely to go to the Pilbara about once a month for the foreseeable future but don't get paid anymore for it.
That's the same at FMG/Worley Parsons. Only the guys who FIFO get a salary uplift.