Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mining/drilling work with HNC but no experience

Mining/drilling work with HNC but no experience

Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mining/drilling work with HNC but no experience

Originally Posted by jps89
That site's brilliant thanks, there's loads of offsider openings on there and a few taking on without any experience. Do you know if my HNC would help getting that level of job or would they just not take notice of it?
I think they'll take you whether you have HNC or not. A lot of these jobs are exploration jobs so they don't have the strict rules re: alcohol like on mine sites.

It's bloody hard work though, I did it for 6 months. I remember a couple of lads from Middlesboro coming out to our site. Before the day was out one of them started bleeding from both nostrils, spewed up then passed out.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

jps89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope he got straight back to work when he woke up! I think the idea of so many people saying how hard it is is the reason I want to get into it. There's no better feeling than knowing you've earned your money properly! Do you hear of many people entering on a WHV and gaining sponsorship for a visa after showing their worth?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:41 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Come over on a WHV and get a job as an offsider, work hard and get the boss interested in your capabilities, then with any luck he will sponsor you on a 457 to stay on.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My understanding, purely from reading BE, is that it can be quite hard to reak into mining however I have no real knowledge of the sector.
Mining jobs that entail sitting on your batty in airconditioning all day are hard to get. Mining jobs where you are required to work your ass off in the heat and dirt all day are easy to get!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Hi on a WHV you should be able to get a driller's offsider job. It's very hard work and you'll be spending long stints in the bush with alcoholic psychos.
Psychos maybe but in 2012, alcoholic psychos - no way. With the big mining outfits, HS&E is everywhere today. Some of the guys in our office were doing (very) remote survey work last year. The company's D&A people turned up at their fly camp one day and tested everyone. There is no way to get away from it.

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 16th 2012 at 2:22 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Psychos maybe but in 2012, alcoholic psychos - no way. With the big mining outfits, HS&E is everywhere today. Some of the guys in our office were doing (very) remote survey work last year. The company's D&A people turned up at their fly camp one day and tested everyone. There is no way to get away from it.
Things have certainly changed since I was living on an exploration camp. We had guns, dogs, drugs and free beer!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for everyones feedback so far it's all been really helpful and informative!

Just another couple of questions for now, I've noticed a lot of jobs asking for a HR license, is this a definite requirement I'd need or are there some opportunities where this isn't needed? Also, would WA and Perth be the best place to head for to get these jobs or are there better options? Thanks again for the help guys!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:10 am
(It's not my real name)

Thanks for everyones feedback so far it's all been really helpful and informative!

Just another couple of questions for now, I've noticed a lot of jobs asking for a HR license, is this a definite requirement I'd need or are there some opportunities where this isn't needed? Also, would WA and Perth be the best place to head for to get these jobs or are there better options? Thanks again for the help guys!
WA probably the best place for these jobs. An HR is a definite plus (unrestricted so you can operate a Roadranger crash box).
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Downer EDI have a zero policy in the bloody office never mind out on site, random alchohol/drug tests and all. No such thing as a lunchtime beer there.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by renth
WA probably the best place for these jobs. An HR is a definite plus (unrestricted so you can operate a Roadranger crash box).
Are they difficult/expensive to get? Are there still opportunities if you don't have one?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

Are they difficult/expensive to get? Are there still opportunities if you don't have one?
I wouldn't bother if I were you. As a newbie driller's offsider they probably won't want you driving the truck straight off. Plus if you don't know how to use the gearbox you won't be able to drive it. You could do a course and test and it will probably set you back around $2K, but as I said, I don't think you should bother as in the first instance they probably just want to for your labouring abilities.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Does anybody on here know what the state of the oil and gas industry is like over there? Or if there's a decent chance of getting on the rigs if the mining industry is tough to crack? Also are they as strict on tickets needed to get on and things like that? Cheers
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody on here know what the state of the oil and gas industry is like over there? Or if there's a decent chance of getting on the rigs if the mining industry is tough to crack? Also are they as strict on tickets needed to get on and things like that? Cheers
Offshore work requires the tickets such as offshore survival. They are VERY strict on that.

With regards to the comments about drug and alcohol. Every site I have worked on and still do, allow a person to drink what ever they want on a night but you must blow zero first thing on a morning. Drug tests are randomly carried out, though it is well known that drugs are an issue and a surprisingly large amount of people are caught.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Ok so I've just started applying for my WHV, and I've reached the question 'When do you propose to enter Australia using the visa that you are applying for now?' I'm not sure of the exact date because I'm going to book my flights nearer the time so I have enough money saved up. Because of this I don't know what to put? Should I just guess a date nearest to the time I think I will be travelling? And if I do this, will I be restricted to travel only on this day? I'd really appreciate some help on this thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't have to be the exact date you arrive, but the visa will start running from then even if you haven't arrived and you can not enter until that date.