British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mining/drilling work with HNC but no experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mining-drilling-work-hnc-but-no-experience-754678/)

jps89 Apr 12th 2012 5:11 pm

Mining/drilling work with HNC but no experience

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on a forum so apologies in advance if I make any typical noob mistakes.

I'm currently studying towards a HNC in mechanical engineering (I think it's equivilent to an AQF Diploma?) and will be finishing withing a couple of months. I've been looking into working on the rigs or in mining as a driller for quite a while. Because of this and the severe lack of entry level jobs in general in the UK, I am now starting to look further afield with Australia seeming to be the best option.

I have no experience in engineering but have no problem whatsoever with starting at the very bottom in a labouring role and working my way up. I have experience as a ceiling fitter and have done this since I was about 15/16 as well as other part time jobs. I know I would probably have to work on a WHV due to my lack of experience, but I would like to know if there are any alternatives to this?

Also, if I were to go over on a WHV what are the chances of getting a job with my qualifications, either as a trainee or an entry level job at the very bottom? Or would I even be eligible or have a realistic chance of gaining sponsorship?

As much as i can look up information online, i don't really know how things work once you are there. I'd really appreciate some help or advice from anyone who's a bit more clued up on this subject.

Thanks very much in advance
Jordan

jps89 Apr 13th 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Mining/drilling work with HNC but no experience

I think I might have posted this in the wrong section! :/

Bermudashorts Apr 13th 2012 9:27 pm

You might be better asking a mod to move this to the main Australia forum with respect to getting jobs without experience in your field. My understanding, purely from reading BE, is that it can be quite hard to reak into mining however I have no real knowledge of the sector.

Visa wise, well the WHV is not an ideal visa to find a trainee position on because you can only stay with one company for 6 months and most companies would prefer to invest the time training someone that can stay for a little longer than that.

I would recommend you keep plugging away at finding an opening in UK and get some experience first. I don't say that lightly, I also graduated in an economic downturn in1992, and it was not easy but required a great deal of persistence.

jps89 Apr 13th 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks very much for the advice, I don't really know how this works so would you be able to telle how to ask a mod to move this? Cheers.

Bermudashorts Apr 13th 2012 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by jps89 (Post 10004580)
Thanks very much for the advice, I don't really know how this works so would you be able to telle how to ask a mod to move this? Cheers.

I think you need to PM one of them, try Pollyana. Or maye just ask about the getting work bit in the main forum on a new thread, there are a few people around who would know.

Pollyana Apr 13th 2012 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10004657)
I think you need to PM one of them, try Pollyana. Or maye just ask about the getting work bit in the main forum on a new thread, there are a few people around who would know.

Sorry, on holiday so only just seen this, I'll move it :)

jps89 Apr 14th 2012 3:30 am

I don't need to do anything to move it then? Thank your very much.

Micro30 Apr 14th 2012 3:43 am

PM sent jps89 :)

renth Apr 14th 2012 6:37 am

Hi on a WHV you should be able to get a driller's offsider job. It's very hard work and you'll be spending long stints in the bush with alcoholic psychos.

jps89 Apr 14th 2012 3:07 pm

Haha I think that'll suit me just fine! Just hope I can get my foot in the door. Do you work in the industry? I'd appreciate any tips on where to go or who to ask when I get there, or even before I get there?

Tockalosh Apr 14th 2012 5:02 pm

You'd leave Blackpool and all the girls in the Herons view for oz ?

jps89 Apr 14th 2012 5:36 pm

Haha good old glamorous blackpool eh? The whole place is on its arse over here, and I might get a decent game or rugby league over there too!

renth Apr 14th 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jps89 (Post 10005483)
Haha I think that'll suit me just fine! Just hope I can get my foot in the door. Do you work in the industry? I'd appreciate any tips on where to go or who to ask when I get there, or even before I get there?

I used to be involved in the mining industry, many years ago. Driller's offsiders jobs are relatively easy to get because the work is incredibly hard. You can see them regularly advertised in the West Australian and online on seek.com

jps89 Apr 15th 2012 9:59 am

That site's brilliant thanks, there's loads of offsider openings on there and a few taking on without any experience. Do you know if my HNC would help getting that level of job or would they just not take notice of it?

Toe Dipper Apr 15th 2012 10:27 am

The bad news is most mines operate a zero level for alcohol and you are tested randomly, but it is a daily process. Get caught and you have to pay for air trip back! So most guys have a sesh before 8 or 9pm then stop to let the bod recover in time!

Best of luck

TD