Mining

Old Jul 10th 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

ThatSpanishGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mining

Hello, let me introduce myself.

I'm Guy, Ive recently turned 16 and have done my IGCSE's and waiting upon the results, although I'm not expecting anything fantastic I'm relatively bright. I live in Spain And have lived here for 10 years. I've always wanted to move to Australia and also wanted to get into the mining industry, Im pretty sure I won't go to uni but if I do I think I will study engineering on Germany. I'm terrible at English but very good at physics and maths. Are there any ways for me to get a mining job in Oz at 18 or so. Another bonus is I have is my Godparents daughter lives in Oz with her family and look after me if I ever needed a home for a couple of months. So my question is what sort of routes should I go down or is there no chance without a degree.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mining

Hi Guy

Mining today is largely a skilled industry. The people that work in it fall into three catergories. Those with a trade such as a mechanic, those with a mine specific skill such as shot firers who handle the explosives and those with a degree such as engineering or geology.

I am a geologist. You dont need to be great at english to be an engineer or a geologist. Science and maths are more important, so i wouldnt worry too much about not being good at english if your science and math is good.

To work in Australia, if you are not Australian would mean you would need a visa. To get one, you really need to do either an apprentership in a trade that Australia is looking for people in, or to do a degree at university.

I would therefore strongly recomend you study hard and either apply for places as an apprentice or think about going to university.

University is nothing like school and really is good fun!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ThatSpanishGuy
Hello, let me introduce myself.

I'm Guy, Ive recently turned 16 and have done my IGCSE's and waiting upon the results, although I'm not expecting anything fantastic I'm relatively bright. I live in Spain And have lived here for 10 years. I've always wanted to move to Australia and also wanted to get into the mining industry, Im pretty sure I won't go to uni but if I do I think I will study engineering on Germany. I'm terrible at English but very good at physics and maths. Are there any ways for me to get a mining job in Oz at 18 or so. Another bonus is I have is my Godparents daughter lives in Oz with her family and look after me if I ever needed a home for a couple of months. So my question is what sort of routes should I go down or is there no chance without a degree.

If you are good at Science and Maths, go to Uni and get yourself a degree, look at the Uni's in Australia you might be able to get some kind of study visa ( i'm not good on the whole visa thing),

The world would then be your oyster, in Australia without a degree trust me your options would be limited....go to Uni,
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:45 am
Just Joined

ThatSpanishGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the great answers and I will consider going to uni.

Guy