Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

minimum work experience?

minimum work experience?

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

dodgbowski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default minimum work experience?

I am just about done with my qualifications/certifications for my trade(refrigeration and aircon), and I noticed something on all those online points test places. I noticed that relevant work experience doesnt actually matter? I might be reading it wrong, but since my trade is on the MODL, the points i get by it being there more then make up for the lack of experience. So my question really is: is there a minimum amount of experience needed to get accepted for the skilled trade visa and if so, how much is it?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Re: minimum work experience?

Originally Posted by dodgbowski
I am just about done with my qualifications/certifications for my trade(refrigeration and aircon), and I noticed something on all those online points test places. I noticed that relevant work experience doesnt actually matter? I might be reading it wrong, but since my trade is on the MODL, the points i get by it being there more then make up for the lack of experience. So my question really is: is there a minimum amount of experience needed to get accepted for the skilled trade visa and if so, how much is it?
Not too sure but I think its 18 months in that trade in the last 2 years. No-one else has answered but I think thats what I got told.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Not too sure but I think its 18 months in that trade in the last 2 years. No-one else has answered but I think thats what I got told.

is that pretty much standard for all trades, or for this trade in particular?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodgbowski
There are basic requirements for general skilled migration, as well as a point test. Basic requirements include recent skilled work experience, unless you are an eligible recent Australian graduate.

If you don't meet the basic requirements, DIMA will refuse your application before they even *look* at the points test.

And before you can apply, you need a skill assessment. Tradesmen normally get assessed by TRA, and TRA require more work experience than DIMA do. Rules are different and meeting TRA requirements doesn't mean you meet DIMA requirements. Or vice versa. And you need to meet both sets of requirements.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are basic requirements for general skilled migration, as well as a point test. Basic requirements include recent skilled work experience, unless you are an eligible recent Australian graduate.

If you don't meet the basic requirements, DIMA will refuse your application before they even *look* at the points test.

And before you can apply, you need a skill assessment. Tradesmen normally get assessed by TRA, and TRA require more work experience than DIMA do. Rules are different and meeting TRA requirements doesn't mean you meet DIMA requirements. Or vice versa. And you need to meet both sets of requirements.
Makes sense, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I went to the TRA website, they have an adobe file that gives a lot of info, but its still not clear exactly.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...00527_6_05.pdf

Im going to be certified in a months time(PLEASE!), so how does this play into the experience? From what i can tell, the skill pathways above are all based upon the assumption that you are either learning your trade via an apprenticeship or through on the job work, which takes substantially more time to learn in which the end result is the certification and knowledge of the trade and not from learning the trade and then gaining applicable work experience firsthand.

Many thanks for all the help given!