Wikiposts

millicent

Old Jul 12th 2004, 5:12 am
Just Joined

COLIN AND LYN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default millicent

Hi,
Been ofered a job in Millicent 4hrs south of Adelaide. Has anybody been before if so what do you recon,we've got 3 kids and wondered if there was enough to do
col
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:56 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: millicent

Originally posted by COLIN AND LYN
Hi,
Been ofered a job in Millicent 4hrs south of Adelaide. Has anybody been before if so what do you recon,we've got 3 kids and wondered if there was enough to do
col
Can your kids develop a range of hobbies and interests or are they marketeer's fodder?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:02 am
Thinking of returning

mattyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Colin and Lyn

Me and the wife lived in a small town called Lucindale which is near to Millicent (check out a map) - it's about 30mins drive away ish.
We was there for a year and boy, thank god we had a car, not to sure about Millicent (population 5000ish), its a lot larger than Lucindale (population 400ish).

There won't be a lot for the kids to do, although i will say that you will be welcomed in to the community with open arms. Some of our best friends are from Lucindale now!!!

It takes 4hours drive to Adelaide and you do get used to the journey. The Coonawarra is about 30mins away, a fab winery area!!
What job have you been offered??? You will have to let us know the outcome of your decision!!

Matty D
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for information. Job offer is for precision engineer.Are you going back or did you have enough of that area.
Col
Originally posted by mattyd
Hi Colin and Lyn

Me and the wife lived in a small town called Lucindale which is near to Millicent (check out a map) - it's about 30mins drive away ish.
We was there for a year and boy, thank god we had a car, not to sure about Millicent (population 5000ish), its a lot larger than Lucindale (population 400ish).

There won't be a lot for the kids to do, although i will say that you will be welcomed in to the community with open arms. Some of our best friends are from Lucindale now!!!

It takes 4hours drive to Adelaide and you do get used to the journey. The Coonawarra is about 30mins away, a fab winery area!!
What job have you been offered??? You will have to let us know the outcome of your decision!!

Matty D
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:23 am
Thinking of returning

Hi
We will not be returning to the area. My wife is a teacher and we participated in a teacher exchange program in 2001. It was really good, basically my wife swapped jobs with a teacher in Lucindale, and also we swapped houses and cars for the year. It was a great way to see Oz as we didn't lose any security. I am an electrician and i just went back to my old firm after the year was up.

We ended up in a farm house about 10km from the town on about 4 acres of land and they got our 3bed semi with a postage stamp garden. We made lots of great friends and have been back to visit since just a few months ago. We was thinking about going to Adelaide as we loved the city, but decided the Sunshine coast could offer us more of what we are after.

I am not saying that the area isn't nice, it just isn't for us, and i suppose the question about things to do can be what you make of the situation. We found that a lot of travelling was needed to do anything. ie nearest supermarket 44km away, nearest cinema 130km away, Adelaide 350km away. If you do go make sure you get a decent set of wheels.

Just let me know and i will ramble on a bit more about the area

Cheers for now

MattyD
Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Your right it does sound as though everything is spread out a bit. When I was talking to the guy who offered me a job he said that Millicent had everything you would need in a town, maybe he was going slightly over the top or that he is just used to living in a massive country where everything is spreadout I don't know.If we get the go ahead I will be going on a trip over to see the guy and take a good look round and will take on board what youv'e told me. The visa we have gone for is State Nominated so we could always go further north around Adelaide. Thanks again for the info and as long as you don't mind you can tell us a bit more about the area.
Cheers
Col

Hi
We will not be returning to the area. My wife is a teacher and we participated in a teacher exchange program in 2001. It was really good, basically my wife swapped jobs with a teacher in Lucindale, and also we swapped houses and cars for the year. It was a great way to see Oz as we didn't lose any security. I am an electrician and i just went back to my old firm after the year was up.

We ended up in a farm house about 10km from the town on about 4 acres of land and they got our 3bed semi with a postage stamp garden. We made lots of great friends and have been back to visit since just a few months ago. We was thinking about going to Adelaide as we loved the city, but decided the Sunshine coast could offer us more of what we are after.

I am not saying that the area isn't nice, it just isn't for us, and i suppose the question about things to do can be what you make of the situation. We found that a lot of travelling was needed to do anything. ie nearest supermarket 44km away, nearest cinema 130km away, Adelaide 350km away. If you do go make sure you get a decent set of wheels.

Just let me know and i will ramble on a bit more about the area

Cheers for now

MattyD
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:34 am
Just Joined

ausbrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband grew up 30 miles away in Mount Gambier. He says you have nothing to fear. Millicent is innocuous enough and is close to several more interesting places...

Its built along the main road between Adelaide and Melbourne (but its not exactly the M1). When he left (10 years ago) he thinks it had a hospital and a high school, and an excellent chicken and chips take away.

Mount Gambier, a town of 25,000 people, is a 30 minute drive away. There's a fair bit for kids in Mt Gambier - playgrounds, lakes, theatre, pubs, 'clubs', and its the regional shopping centre. There's lots of sports facilities, in Millicent too.

Its also not far from the coast and some good beaches (although the water is freezing all year round). Once of the nicest places is Robe (a small seaside resort) - it might even be close enough to live there and commute to Millicent, if you fancied that.

Hope this helps a bit - have you got any specific questions?

ausbrummie
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:57 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A shade off freezing. You can check Sea Surface Temperature any time of the year:

Sea Surface Temperature Browse Service

Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:46 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hi,

I live in Mt Gambier, which is about 50ks from Millicent. I love it here in the mount...its big enough so that we don't get bored, but small enough that there is no rush hour, no congestion and lots of space. Only downer of this area is that the weather in winter is a bit grim.....but in summer its great....generally about 25, rarely less than 20, rarely over 35.

Coastline is fantastic....the mount has good shopping, a cinema and heaps of "clubs" ranging from public speaking to archery.

Millicent is a smaller town, but easily commutable from the mount. You could live here and work in Millicent. Whereabouts is teh job you were offered?

If you have any specific Q's let me know.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South East of South Australia

Hi!
I have holidayed in the "South east" a fair bit, and the town you refer to, Millicent, is about 4,000 in pop'n, with all the trimmings of big country town in South Australia.
As someone has mentioned earlier, South Australia's second city of Mount Gambier, pop'n 20,000, is only about 25 / 30 miles by highway away . . . a half hour's easy drive. You should check out the "Mount" as the locals call the place, as you're in for a culture shock going from a city like Luton, pop'n about 1,000,000 to a place in the bush like Millicent.
My wife's from a country town in South Australia, so I'm pretty familiar with the way folks think and operate.
You'll be able to leave your kids to run around the town in safety, leave your house unlocked and your car unlocked when you park it in the supermarket car park. Life is like Luton in the 1950's in that respect . . . ask your oldies what life was like back then. Everyone in town knows each other, although Millicent would be big enough to maintain some sort of anonymity, so you can still have your privacy and private lives intact.
Life is slower in the bush, and people more trusting of each other. However, when you say something to an Australian from the bush for Pete's sake don't let him down!
If you're going to see the bloke on Tuesday evening, then see him TUESDAY in the EVENING.
If you promise an old lady that you'll fix her car or water heater by Friday, then you'll be expected to have it done by Friday . . . no excuses . . . . unless you're dead.
Basically, living in the bush and relying on someone's word can mean the difference between life and death, and bush Aussies take other people's word very seriously, whereas I've noticed Poms are very glib about what they promise and say, generally.
Your name will soon be shite in the district if you let folks down left, right and centre.
Millicent has an "Area School" meaning an infant's, primary, and high school in the same complex, so your kids can start and finish their schooling there. There is a great swimming pool for summer time swims for the kids and family, too. The town has a main street with all the shops for general shopping, and Mount Gambier is only a short way off with all the gov't departments, etc. that might be needed otherwise.
If you go to South Australia's "South East" and decide you don't like it much, it may pay you to accept the job offer, get permanent residency and stay for the qualifying period of a couple of years or so, then look around for a job in Adelaide, which is about 4 or 5 hours drive north west, or Melbourne, about 6 or 7 hours drive east. Then again, you might fall in love with the country life, its eay going pace and the people there ? ?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:21 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: South East of South Australia

Originally posted by bob and ginnie
You'll be able to leave your kids to run around the town in safety, leave your house unlocked and your car unlocked when you park it in the supermarket car park.
Just wanted to pick you up on this.....I really would'nt recommend trying it!! The Mount, Millicent and Naracoorte all have problems with petty theft, especially from unlocked cars! There are reports in the local paper all the time, literally everyday. We call it "The Crime Watch" instead of the "Border Watch"!!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Thankyou for the info it has been very helpful I may get back to you with a few questions if thats ok
Originally posted by ausbrummie
My husband grew up 30 miles away in Mount Gambier. He says you have nothing to fear. Millicent is innocuous enough and is close to several more interesting places...

Its built along the main road between Adelaide and Melbourne (but its not exactly the M1). When he left (10 years ago) he thinks it had a hospital and a high school, and an excellent chicken and chips take away.

Mount Gambier, a town of 25,000 people, is a 30 minute drive away. There's a fair bit for kids in Mt Gambier - playgrounds, lakes, theatre, pubs, 'clubs', and its the regional shopping centre. There's lots of sports facilities, in Millicent too.

Its also not far from the coast and some good beaches (although the water is freezing all year round). Once of the nicest places is Robe (a small seaside resort) - it might even be close enough to live there and commute to Millicent, if you fancied that.

Hope this helps a bit - have you got any specific questions?

ausbrummie
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, I know that Millicent has it's own high school but how do you think it compares to mount gambier high school.
Cheers
Col

Originally posted by PeteY
Hi,

I live in Mt Gambier, which is about 50ks from Millicent. I love it here in the mount...its big enough so that we don't get bored, but small enough that there is no rush hour, no congestion and lots of space. Only downer of this area is that the weather in winter is a bit grim.....but in summer its great....generally about 25, rarely less than 20, rarely over 35.

Coastline is fantastic....the mount has good shopping, a cinema and heaps of "clubs" ranging from public speaking to archery.

Millicent is a smaller town, but easily commutable from the mount. You could live here and work in Millicent. Whereabouts is teh job you were offered?

If you have any specific Q's let me know.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:05 am
Thinking of returning

Just wanted to second what Pete Y said about the petty theft thing, it's not as safe as it used to be (according to the locals). They said that a few years ago you could leave doors unlocked etc but now its a differnet story. Don't worry, it isn't rife with murder or anything.

Also, whilst we was there we come to realize that the Australians have a great way of bigging something up!!(no offense intended) . If anybody else has seen Larry the Lobster at Kingston they will know what i mean!!, this guy is a big thing in tourism apparently!!!!!!

We found that although the towns are nice, clean, safe, spacious and roomy there aint that much to do!!! and as i said there was an awful lot of travelling to do. Over the year we nearly did 40,000Km

Saying that we had decided to emigrate to the area until we realized how brown it gets in the summer (due to lack of rain that is) . I think it was the open space and friendly people that made us miss it so much. I think you would love it and as Bob and Ginnie say, once you get permanant residency you can move on!!!

MattyD
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:36 pm
A Male Member

Also, whilst we was there we come to realize that the Australians have a great way of bigging something up!!(no offense intended) . If anybody else has seen Larry the Lobster at Kingston they will know what i mean!!, this guy is a big thing in tourism apparently!!!!!!
Thought you may be interested to know that Larry is up for sale at the moment! He, and the cafe just behind him are going for between 400 and 600k....

Could be a "red hot" investment!! Haahahaha. I crack myself up

Anyway....

Col,

Millicent high has an ok rep, but i know quite a few kids in Millicent who actually went to one of the Mounts 4 high schools. They reckon that although many Millicent kids when there, Millicent high tended to service the surrounding towns more (like southend, beachport, rendlesham etc.

The Mount has 4 high schools, 2 of which are meant to be ok, and the other 2 are meant to be extremely good (according to the paper, and our teacher friends). Tenison Woods has an excellent reputation, but is a private catholic school. If you have the cash spare its worth looking at. The other school thats doing well at the moment is Grant high. My younger brother in law went there and he reckons it was great.

None of the high schools in this area have a bad reputation, to my knowledge. The Mount, and the lower south east is a very rich area (compared to most rural areas in SA), because of the timber industry, and the high rainfall (cattle + crops love it). The Coonawarra is a big earner too.

All in all i feel its a really nice area. Good community spirit, enough for us to do leisure wise (we like outdoor stuff, fishing, camping, walking etc). It can be a bit cleiky (spelling?), but you get that in any small community.

Pete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.