British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   milkman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/milkman-280125/)

midge04 Jan 26th 2005 1:20 pm

milkman

do they have milkmen in Oz, like they do in UK, where they deliver the milk to your door in the mornings or not. Just a thought, was wondering how much difference there is

wattle Jan 26th 2005 1:22 pm

Re: milkman

Originally Posted by midge04
do they have milkmen in Oz, like they do in UK, where they deliver the milk to your door in the mornings or not. Just a thought, was wondering how much difference there is

yes tehy do have milkmen that deliver in teh morning as my friend used to do it... also you might find a little italian man driving round your suburb with fresh fruit veg and bread, milk etc..

Oh milkman hope they still do Mooves - its a milkshake heheheh!

Pollyana Jan 26th 2005 8:36 pm

Not saying they don;t have them at all, but there certainly aren't any in this bbit of Brisbane.
The climate isn't really conducive to it anyway - far too hot to leave milk outside.

wombat42 Jan 26th 2005 8:42 pm

l think they used to have them in Melbourne up untill the 1950' s or 60's.

Merlot Jan 26th 2005 8:48 pm

Funny thing is I haven't seen many since my return to the UK.

Gone are the days of coming home with the Milkman!! :D

MrsDagboy Jan 26th 2005 8:50 pm

YES! We have one, he delivers twice a week and we live on acreage! In fact he delivers to our old house as well (2 suburbs away) & also to friends of ours that live all the way down at Ormiston. His brother (I kid you not :D ) also has a large milk run.

He does his milkrun in the evenings - no off milk! :)

midge04 Jan 26th 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not saying they don;t have them at all, but there certainly aren't any in this bbit of Brisbane.
The climate isn't really conducive to it anyway - far too hot to leave milk outside.

well thats what i thought, which is why i asked, just curious really

mlbonner Jan 26th 2005 9:54 pm

Like Mrs DB has said, we do have them. We have ice-cream men as well (not Mr Whippy, though we do have them) but they just deliver cartons of icecream. You can pre-order or just go upto them in the street.

jayr Jan 26th 2005 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
YES! We have one, he delivers twice a week and we live on acreage! In fact he delivers to our old house as well (2 suburbs away)

I think you want to cancel that milk order at your old house...

MrsDagboy Jan 27th 2005 2:27 am

Polly, call Tom McCormick on 3263 1651, hes your local milkman.

Jayr http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...ghing/lol2.gif , explains why we cant get in the door anymore :D

Banksia Jan 27th 2005 2:55 am

Being a milkman is a dying trade since supermarkets have extended hours and see milk as somewhat of a lossleader. Being a milkman has little future.

Pollyana Jan 27th 2005 4:54 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Polly, call Tom McCormick on 3263 1651, hes your local milkman.

Jayr http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...ghing/lol2.gif , explains why we cant get in the door anymore :D

Don't bother with it myself! The Bloke drinks that stuff which is 99% water and prefers to get it from the supermarket; I hate the taste of it, so just drink milk at work!
Thanks for the number though - might see what else he can deliver :)

mlbonner Jan 27th 2005 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't bother with it myself! The Bloke drinks that stuff which is 99% water and prefers to get it from the supermarket; I hate the taste of it, so just drink milk at work!
Thanks for the number though - might see what else he can deliver :)

You wouldn't want to have breakfast with me then... I use soy ;)

Pollyana Jan 27th 2005 6:19 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner

Why isn't there a vomiting smilie! :p

Kelli28 Jan 27th 2005 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner

im a soya girl too but back when we had a milkman they either came at about 4.30 in the morn in the winter frozen milk and around 10.30 in the summer so no milk for breakfast and it was warm by the time i got home