British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Military transfer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/military-transfer-104812/)

Mark Apr 16th 2001 5:21 pm

I am exploring the possibility of terminating my military service here in the UK. I have a communications background and im looking for people who may have taken the same route, so if any of you out there have done this can you tell me any contacts you may have and any of the pitfalls so i can avoid them.

Chris000 Apr 16th 2001 8:44 pm

Hi Mark,

Have you listened to the recorded message on the DIMA London phone line? Last time I called that number there was a message on there relating to people who had recently left or were about to leave the Armed Forces (uk).

Chris.

Mark Apr 16th 2001 9:05 pm

Many Thanks

Chris

I cannot seem to find the helpline number that you meantioned. I have sent an email to the embassy because of the unique circumstances involved in a transfer. Could you please tell me the content of the message or the best recollection you have of it. Even better would be the number itself, you dont say in your reply if you have tried this route or like me intend to.

Many thanks

Mark

Chris000 Apr 18th 2001 8:36 pm

Hi Mark,

We left the Forces in '92 so its not really an option for us, plus I'm a bit too old, 34 , well past it !!! Fortunatly my wife has job skills in demand over there so we've applied for an independant skilled visa.
I cant remember the content of the message, it was along the lines that if you have recently left the Navy,Army, Airforce or were about to then there was more info on that, I didnt listen to the next bit, but the message implied that they would be interested in hearing from you.

Hope this is some use, the No is 02073794334, sorry if its not correct (the info that is) but give it a call and find out. Let me know how you get on, e-mail if you prefer.

Website if you havent got it is http://www.australia.org.uk

Good Luck.

Chris.

thebluearmy Feb 21st 2005 10:49 am

Re: Military transfer

Mark,

Just a quickie, my name is craig and have just completed the process u r on about. Send me a pr and i`ll give u all the details

Originally Posted by Mark
I am exploring the possibility of terminating my military service here in the UK. I have a communications background and im looking for people who may have taken the same route, so if any of you out there have done this can you tell me any contacts you may have and any of the pitfalls so i can avoid them.

Craig822 Feb 21st 2005 1:52 pm

So, where has this thread been for 4 years then?!?.mmmmm smell a fish here :D

sonic3829 Feb 21st 2005 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mark

Hi there

I'm going through the process at the moment. I leave the British Army in May and start work at the begining of June having served 15 years in the REME. Your pension doesn't carry over but your time served does so you start on a high % for the aussie pension. Everything is paid for (removals, bussiness class flight, hotels, hire car and all visa and medical costs). High rates of pay for op tours better quarters and can serve until 55 if you want to and only have to serve a minimum of 3 years. Also gain citizenship after 90 days compared to the normal 2 years. Contact address for Aussie Army is Solider Career Management Agenct, VIC www.defencejobs.gov.au . You can go via Australia High Commision London but all they do is charge you money to send your paperwork down under. Hope this helps.

Paul
__________________________________________________ _______________
28/08/04 Received Job offer from Aussie Army
11/10/04 Visa application sent
13/10/04 X-rays carried out
21/10/04 Medicals carried out
22/10/04 Received file number
24/11/04 Visa received
06/06/05 Leave UK for Townsville QLD
14/06/05 Start work :) :) :)

bert-doozer Feb 21st 2005 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by thebluearmy
Mark,

Just a quickie, my name is craig and have just completed the process u r on about. Send me a pr and i`ll give u all the details

I would also be interested as i am looking to go over via this route to the RAAF.

stu

thebluearmy Feb 22nd 2005 4:53 pm

To all those who are mad enought to luv green,

I am flying out to oz with the missus in tow on Apr 20 having just going thru the process u are all asking about. Paul has pretty much explained everything in his reply and is totally spot on with everything he says. My application as took just over two years, this i beleive could of been speeded up but due to some stalling on both sides. I am joining their Commando`s and will be stationed in Sydney. I am currently a SSgt but am dropping down to Sgt. The only reason 4 this i believe is that they have no SSgt. I like Paul have completed 15 years in the Brit mob so had to make the decision of whether 2 stay in till 22 and possilbly loose the chance of oz 4 ever or go 4 it now which obviously we did. Getting the feeling this is gonna take 4 ever so if u send me a PR with a phone number i give u a buzz and talk u thru the process because it can take quite long.

Craig

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
I would also be interested as i am looking to go over via this route to the RAAF.

stu

glm36 Feb 23rd 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by thebluearmy
To all those who are mad enought to luv green,

I am flying out to oz with the missus in tow on Apr 20 having just going thru the process u are all asking about. Paul has pretty much explained everything in his reply and is totally spot on with everything he says. My application as took just over two years, this i beleive could of been speeded up but due to some stalling on both sides. I am joining their Commando`s and will be stationed in Sydney. I am currently a SSgt but am dropping down to Sgt. The only reason 4 this i believe is that they have no SSgt. I like Paul have completed 15 years in the Brit mob so had to make the decision of whether 2 stay in till 22 and possilbly loose the chance of oz 4 ever or go 4 it now which obviously we did. Getting the feeling this is gonna take 4 ever so if u send me a PR with a phone number i give u a buzz and talk u thru the process because it can take quite long.

Craig

Hello,

I've applied in Mar 04, I received a reply from a Sue from the SCMA via email in Jul 04 telling me my application was with the trade assesors but, as of now nothing else has been heard. I have been in BATUS for the past 6 months so snail mail may have been lost in the BFPO system!

I'm trying to transfer to the RAAOC/RAAPC as I'm currently in the AGC(SPS). I've just sent another email to the SCMA hoping that they may be able to give me an answer, I know it could take a while, but, its always good to now?

is there a limit on the removals that they will take (container space) I'm married with 3 young kids so as you can imagine have loads of kit!

Cheers

Gary

biscuit63 Feb 23rd 2005 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by glm36
Hello,

I've applied in Mar 04, I received a reply from a Sue from the SCMA via email in Jul 04 telling me my application was with the trade assesors but, as of now nothing else has been heard. I have been in BATUS for the past 6 months so snail mail may have been lost in the BFPO system!

I'm trying to transfer to the RAAOC/RAAPC as I'm currently in the AGC(SPS). I've just sent another email to the SCMA hoping that they may be able to give me an answer, I know it could take a while, but, its always good to now?

is there a limit on the removals that they will take (container space) I'm married with 3 young kids so as you can imagine have loads of kit!

Cheers

Gary

Sue (a Cpl) has now left and has been replaced by Robert (a Pte) who is struggling to cope with his new job - they could do with a good clerk, you must have been a staff clerk RAOC?

Anyway, I have got my job offer and am in the process of arranging my visa. From what little I know they (SCMA) are both overloaded with requests to transfer and have 'run out' of Labour Agreement numbers for the next recruiting year (Jun 05 - May 06) and are now looking to fill the 06/07 quota. There may be a possibility of still getting in early as people can fall at one of the many hurdles along the way which means the next one on the list can move up. They are looking for specific trades at the moment and for the RAAOC it is Operator Supply ECN 294, others include REME Armourers and Mechanics.

Rank wise, most people I know are being offered Sgt's posts (from WO1/WO2) as they are sort of Cpl's and Sgt's but that is not to say that you will drop too far, however, they will only take you as a WO2 maximum. I do know of a AGC Supt Clerk who is now a Sgt in Sydney.

As for removals, visas, flights etc. they refund all your costs (reasonable) and it really is like being posted from UK to Aus as if it were the British Army doing it. I think the max removal size is a 40ft ISO.

The best advice I can offer is to email your CV and career outline to: [email protected] and be prepared to wait for at least a couple of months!

Regards

Biscuit63

glm36 Feb 24th 2005 6:04 am

Originally Posted by biscuit63
Sue (a Cpl) has now left and has been replaced by Robert (a Pte) who is struggling to cope with his new job - they could do with a good clerk, you must have been a staff clerk RAOC?

Anyway, I have got my job offer and am in the process of arranging my visa. From what little I know they (SCMA) are both overloaded with requests to transfer and have 'run out' of Labour Agreement numbers for the next recruiting year (Jun 05 - May 06) and are now looking to fill the 06/07 quota. There may be a possibility of still getting in early as people can fall at one of the many hurdles along the way which means the next one on the list can move up. They are looking for specific trades at the moment and for the RAAOC it is Operator Supply ECN 294, others include REME Armourers and Mechanics.

Rank wise, most people I know are being offered Sgt's posts (from WO1/WO2) as they are sort of Cpl's and Sgt's but that is not to say that you will drop too far, however, they will only take you as a WO2 maximum. I do know of a AGC Supt Clerk who is now a Sgt in Sydney.

As for removals, visas, flights etc. they refund all your costs (reasonable) and it really is like being posted from UK to Aus as if it were the British Army doing it. I think the max removal size is a 40ft ISO.

The best advice I can offer is to email your CV and career outline to: [email protected] and be prepared to wait for at least a couple of months!

Regards

Biscuit63

Cheers,

I've just sent an email down to the SCMA, hopefully maybe hear something in a coupl of months! I was in the RAOC many moons ago as a staff clerk but, now dule trained as they like to keep reminding me...never wanted to be RAPC!!

I'm in no mad rush to go just yet, still got 7 years to go until my 22 but luckily I can still PVR, how long has it taken you to get an answer from your initial application? What trade are you heading out as?

Cheers

Gary

biscuit63 Feb 24th 2005 4:02 pm

Cheers,

I've just sent an email down to the SCMA, hopefully maybe hear something in a coupl of months! I was in the RAOC many moons ago as a staff clerk but, now dule trained as they like to keep reminding me...never wanted to be RAPC!!

I'm in no mad rush to go just yet, still got 7 years to go until my 22 but luckily I can still PVR, how long has it taken you to get an answer from your initial application? What trade are you heading out as?

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

I used to be a staff clerk many moons ago (1980-83) and am glad I never had to transfer to the RAPC!!

I applied April 04 and have just recieved my job offer this month after a long wait! I suppose it was about 3 months for them to reply to my initial request for the application form and then 3 months for them to acknowledge reciept of that!! However, a mate of mine only took half of that time to get a response but now they are struggling a bit I think the wait will only get longer. In fact I spoke to them last night and Robert said he had 60 new applications on his desk that he has yet to get around to looking at. As I said previously they only get around 30-45 places a year from the Immigration Dept.

I have completed my 24 so am just leaving as normal after some continuance. I leave UK hopefully in August. I am a Sup Con so will be going over as an Op Supply ECN 294.

Feel free to PM me if you need any other info.

Cheers

Biscuit63

glm36 Feb 24th 2005 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by biscuit63
Gary,

I used to be a staff clerk many moons ago (1980-83) and am glad I never had to transfer to the RAPC!!

I applied April 04 and have just recieved my job offer this month after a long wait! I suppose it was about 3 months for them to reply to my initial request for the application form and then 3 months for them to acknowledge reciept of that!! However, a mate of mine only took half of that time to get a response but now they are struggling a bit I think the wait will only get longer. In fact I spoke to them last night and Robert said he had 60 new applications on his desk that he has yet to get around to looking at. As I said previously they only get around 30-45 places a year from the Immigration Dept.

I have completed my 24 so am just leaving as normal after some continuance. I leave UK hopefully in August. I am a Sup Con so will be going over as an Op Supply ECN 294.

Feel free to PM me if you need any other info.

Cheers

Biscuit63

Thanks, When do you think you'll be off down under? Are you taking your family with you?(if your married).

I'm pretty sure Sue replied to me in Apr confirming that she had received my application forms, it was june 04 the last time i heard from her regarding my application being with the trade assessors. The only thing i worry about is if they have some how mislaid my application froms?

I'm actually toying with the idea of sending everything again, but, may just hold back until the summer. I've posted recent course reports that i completed at Xmas.

I'd hate to be in the Pte's shoes dealing with the applications, like you said they sound as if they need an 'old' shiny! to help out.

Cheers

Gary

thebluearmy Feb 24th 2005 8:32 pm

Hi Gary,

I had pretty much the same problem as ureself. During my application I had 3 different Overseas Transfers Clerks which caused bit of a nitmemare. Sue, who as just left actually sorted things out a great deal because her predecessor was useless and out of thier depth and it sounds like this new bloke could be going the same way. My application got 2 the point where I had my job offer on the table only for Sue later to tell me that they couldnt actually find any application form 4 me. I had previously sent two off. A bit of advice i would give is photocopy every little thing u do and dont be afaid 2 keep pestering them. At the end of the day, they can be pickie with who they want so its up to u to let them know ure keen. I actually got my first correspondence back from SCMA saying they had vacancies within 2 weeks of sending off my application.

Once u do get accepted the package to get u 2 OZ is brilliant. Buisness class flts 4 all dependants, with hotels paid 4 in London and stopover destination. 2 nites 4 me in Kuala Lumpar in a 5 star hotel. All removals paid for with Pickfards, this includes both air and sea freight. All monies paid out for visas etc refunded. And lovely big quarters, 4 bedroom house and double garage on the other side.

It really does make u realise that u r on the other side on the world when ure watchin ure letterbox waiting 4 mail from SCMA but i found the best way is probably using email or by phone.

Good luck and if u`ve any more questions, feel three to ask

Craig

Thanks, When do you think you'll be off down under? Are you taking your family with you?(if your married).

I'm pretty sure Sue replied to me in Apr confirming that she had received my application forms, it was june 04 the last time i heard from her regarding my application being with the trade assessors. The only thing i worry about is if they have some how mislaid my application froms?

I'm actually toying with the idea of sending everything again, but, may just hold back until the summer. I've posted recent course reports that i completed at Xmas.

I'd hate to be in the Pte's shoes dealing with the applications, like you said they sound as if they need an 'old' shiny! to help out.

Cheers

Gary