British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Military Pensions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/military-pensions-339756/)

nickyjohnt Nov 27th 2005 3:09 pm

Military Pensions

Hi just after a bit if advice, I have just left the Royal Navy after 22 yrs and now receive my military pension. I have been told that this will only taxed in the UK is this correct? or is this classed as earnings and will be added to my earnings in Australia and will be taxed again, or are there ways around this. Any one else in the same situation. We hope to be in Perth early 2006 now awaiting visas.
Cheers

John

FRAYNE Nov 27th 2005 3:16 pm

Re: Military Pensions

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi just after a bit if advice, I have just left the Royal Navy after 22 yrs and now receive my military pension. I have been told that this will only taxed in the UK is this correct? or is this classed as earnings and will be added to my earnings in Australia and will be taxed again, or are there ways around this. Any one else in the same situation. We hope to be in Perth early 2006 now awaiting visas.
Cheers

John

Hi sorry haven't got any advice just wanted to see what replies you got hubby gets a army pension he was in for 22 years and we were told it would be taxed only in the UK,Janet

Nicstids Nov 27th 2005 3:22 pm

Cheers

John

Hi,

We're in the same position as my hubby has just left the RN too! You need to apply for a NT (No Tax) PAYE coding from the Inland Revenue by completing Inland Revenue Form FD2.This has to be stamped by the ATO and returned to the UK. The advice we have received is that under the UK-Australia tax treaty, pension income that is paid to a tax resident of Aus is wholly taxable in Aus and not in the UK.

We have been advised that, in the light of the above it would be worth getting a professional to help us with our Aussie tax return....

Hope that helps

nickyjohnt Nov 27th 2005 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
Hi sorry haven't got any advice just wanted to see what replies you got hubby gets a army pension he was in for 22 years and we were told it would be taxed only in the UK,Janet

Thanks for that Janet. Where abouts in Poole are you? We are in Creekmoor, still trying to sell our house. Where abouts do you hope to go?

John

nickyjohnt Nov 27th 2005 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi,

We're in the same position as my hubby has just left the RN too! You need to apply for a NT (No Tax) PAYE coding from the Inland Revenue by completing Inland Revenue Form FD2.This has to be stamped by the ATO and returned to the UK. The advice we have received is that under the UK-Australia tax treaty, pension income that is paid to a tax resident of Aus is wholly taxable in Aus and not in the UK.

We have been advised that, in the light of the above it would be worth getting a professional to help us with our Aussie tax return....

Hope that helps

Thankyou will look into that tomorrow.

John

FRAYNE Nov 27th 2005 4:21 pm

Thanks for that Janet. Where abouts in Poole are you? We are in Creekmoor, still trying to sell our house. Where abouts do you hope to go?

John

HI John were in canford heath we are going on a parent contribution visa we have only just started the process should take 6to 9 months we hope to go august time we will stay with my son in Sydney till we decide were we want to settle,Janet