Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MIL wants to know why!!!

MIL wants to know why!!!

Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:57 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default MIL wants to know why!!!

Picked the kids up from the MIL today after our annual night away (plenty of ankle biting btw POSSOMS ) and faced the old 'I just don't see why you would want to give up everything you've got here' chestnut the moment Australia was mentioned. We told her the STNI route just isn't a goer for us and she was visibly delighted, and obviously gutted at the thought of us going and taking her only grandchildren.

We've tried to explain why we want to go but she just doesn't buy it!! She's a smart cookie and likes facts and figures in black and white so on the way home OH and I got thinking that it would be worth while pulling together everything I have got and everything I can find that shows how central Scotland / UK compares to Adelaide / the aussie way of life and present this to her so she can see for herself that we're doing this for the right reasons.

We've got loads of stuff we can show her already but we thought it might be worth asking if any of you guys have prepared anything similar we might be able to use as well in case we've missed anything. e.g. list of URLS to info on schools, housing, retirement, crime, employment, health - you know all those little things!!!

It's so hard, we know why we want to go it's just so difficult trying to explain it all to someone who is so against it.

cheers guys
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MIL wants to know why!!!

Originally Posted by herrchook
Picked the kids up from the MIL today after our annual night away (plenty of ankle biting btw POSSOMS ) and faced the old 'I just don't see why you would want to give up everything you've got here' chestnut the moment Australia was mentioned. We told her the STNI route just isn't a goer for us and she was visibly delighted, and obviously gutted at the thought of us going and taking her only grandchildren.

We've tried to explain why we want to go but she just doesn't buy it!! She's a smart cookie and likes facts and figures in black and white so on the way home OH and I got thinking that it would be worth while pulling together everything I have got and everything I can find that shows how central Scotland / UK compares to Adelaide / the aussie way of life and present this to her so she can see for herself that we're doing this for the right reasons.

We've got loads of stuff we can show her already but we thought it might be worth asking if any of you guys have prepared anything similar we might be able to use as well in case we've missed anything. e.g. list of URLS to info on schools, housing, retirement, crime, employment, health - you know all those little things!!!

It's so hard, we know why we want to go it's just so difficult trying to explain it all to someone who is so against it.

cheers guys
I get lots of info from www.sacentral.com.au if that's any help.

If I think of any more I'll let you know
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:10 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guys

We were faced with exactly the same issue with Caz's parents, except we wanted them to agree to come with us (they like to pay for things )

Anyway, we put together a folder with shedloads of info on everything they would ever need to know. Did it all properly, bound it etc......you'll be pleased to know it worked a treat!!
Unfortunately, we didnt keep anything on disk. Printed it all out and gave it to them. They loved it......good luck, it really does work!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:36 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guys
Its important not to feel guilty, you can put loads of stuff together to try and win her round but at the end of the day you've got enough stress with the whole process without a massive guilt trip on top of it. Your going because you want to thats it.

Glad there were ankle biters in the hotel
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We were faced with exactly the same issue with Caz's parents, except we wanted them to agree to come with us (they like to pay for things )
I have a MIL like that.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

I know what I would say if I had a MIL like that

Softly softly catchy monkey....and if that doesnt work....tell them that your living your own life not anyone elses.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:21 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Picked the kids up from the MIL today after our annual night away (plenty of ankle biting btw POSSOMS

So the dirty weekend at Crieff Hydro went down well ???
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:41 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I get lots of info from www.sacentral.com.au if that's any help.

If I think of any more I'll let you know
Thanks for that, I've not come across that site before - K to you,

Gill
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:42 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Anyway, we put together a folder with shedloads of info on everything they would ever need to know. Did it all properly, bound it etc......you'll be pleased to know it worked a treat!!
Unfortunately, we didnt keep anything on disk. Printed it all out and gave it to them. They loved it......good luck, it really does work!
cheers, it's nice to know we're on the right tracks.

Gill
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:44 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Bordy
So the dirty weekend at Crieff Hydro went down well ???
Went down a treat mate
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:45 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by possoms
Its important not to feel guilty, you can put loads of stuff together to try and win her round but at the end of the day you've got enough stress with the whole process without a massive guilt trip on top of it. Your going because you want to thats it.

Glad there were ankle biters in the hotel
cheers Possoms, you're right as ever