Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

migration queries - beginning....

migration queries - beginning....

Old Oct 1st 2002, 10:09 am
Just Joined

dark86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default migration queries - beginning....

why use a migration agency? is it worth it? why not do it all myself?

Is it better to seek employment now or during or after a skilled visa is awarded?

How long - approx - will it take from square 1 to get the full nod (if all is ok).

having a skilled Visa – does this ever expire? Is it citizenship?

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old Oct 1st 2002, 10:32 am
shellypuss

Default Re: migration queries - beginning....

Dark86,

Howdy,

We are using an agent purely because everything we read said that the slighest mistake on forms would mean rejection, which would mean re-applying and paying again oouch.

It has been groovy cause our bloke just tells us what to get, sends us the forms to sign and he does the rest. Not cheap though roughly £950

I think skilled stream is about 50 weeks - please correct me anyone!!!

Don't know about jobs, we found that any suitable positions said you had to have your visa before applying, but different industries may not be the same.

Hope this helps.

Shelly

Originally posted by dark86:
why use a migration agency? is it worth it? why not do it all myself?

Is it better to seek employment now or during or after a skilled visa is awarded?

How long - approx - will it take from square 1 to get the full nod (if all is ok).

having a skilled Visa – does this ever expire? Is it citizenship?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Old Oct 1st 2002, 10:33 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> Originally posted by dark86:
> why use a migration agency?

So that you can ask questions that are basic and are asked without any initial research, like yours.

> is it worth it?

If you do not intend to do any legwork yourself, it's definitely worth it.

> why not do it all myself?

Because you'll have to do research on your own, and find answers on your own.

> Is it better to seek employment now or during or after a skilled visa is awarded?

If you get lucky and get a job offer now, you'll still have to get a work visa.

> How long - approx - will it take from square 1 to get the full nod (if all is ok).

Skilled Independent applications are estimated to take about 50 weeks. This does not take into account time spent doing up the application and for the skills assessment process.

> having a skilled Visa – does this ever expire?

The migrant visa is valid for 5 years, multi-entry, from date of grant. Your PR never expires if you enter and remain in Australia and do not intend to leave, ever. At the end of the 5 years, you can preserve your PR status when travelling overseas by getting a Resident Return Visa, or alternatively acquire Australian citizenship.

> Is it citizenship?

No. I don't know who came up with this idea that permanent residence equates to citizenship. Being a permanent resident does not mean you are a citizen. Being a citizen may not mean you are a resident permanently.

Peter
Old Oct 1st 2002, 11:01 am
Just Joined

dark86 is an unknown quantity at this point

thx for your help.

would i get a Resident Return Visa in OZ or apply here in UK.
If i got a skilled visa, I understand that i cannot leave Oz for 5 years if i want stay?

Could i not get a year working visa, and apply for citizenship/skilled visa over there?

what is PR?

Can istay forever on a skilled visa, and go on holiday abroad once a year?

excuse my non-understanding.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 11:48 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Answers to your questions as follows:

1. Res Return visa - you can apply in the UK or in Australia. Depends where you are when you have a need for the visa.

2. You can enter and leave Australia as you please for the duration of the permanent visa.

3. Yes, you can apply for a permanent residency visa while you are working in Australia. You seem to be confusing the PR and citizenship issue again - see ptlabs' earlier response.

4. PR = permanent residence.

You seem to have some fundamental gaps in your knowledge at this stage, and if I may say so you would be well advised to use a migration agent to enhance the likelihood of a successful visa application.

Best regards.

Originally posted by dark86:
thx for your help.

would i get a Resident Return Visa in OZ or apply here in UK.
If i got a skilled visa, I understand that i cannot leave Oz for 5 years if i want stay?

Could i not get a year working visa, and apply for citizenship/skilled visa over there?

what is PR?

Can istay forever on a skilled visa, and go on holiday abroad once a year?

excuse my non-understanding.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 5:24 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
You seem to have some fundamental gaps in your knowledge at this stage, and if I may say so you would be well advised to use a migration agent to enhance the likelihood of a successful visa application.
Indeed, indeed.

Peter