Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migration to Australia

Migration to Australia

Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

ben8118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migration to Australia

Hi there.. I have a few questions to ask regarding migration to Australia.

I'm from Malaysia and currently in my early 20's and I'm intrested in migrating to Australia. I have a bachelor degree with Hons in Electronics and Computer Engineering and have been working as an Engineer in a semiconductor firm for almost 6 months.

What are the chances of me getting the PR since I have only work for 6 months. Besides that, what other criteria should I look through? What are the types of PR that I should go for? Independent Skilled Migration?

Hope to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:19 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Migration to Australia

Ben
my advice in the first instance would be to contact a migration consultant in your home country and get the first line of advice which is always free, about would you have enough points to be eligable and then start the process with or without them if you decide to proceed...the reason in the begining to contact the migration consultant is that everyones circumstances are different and therefore they can help and its always free in the first instance.
Hope this helps
Gary /Terri
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:22 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ben8118
Hi there.. I have a few questions to ask regarding migration to Australia.

I'm from Malaysia and currently in my early 20's and I'm intrested in migrating to Australia. I have a bachelor degree with Hons in Electronics and Computer Engineering and have been working as an Engineer in a semiconductor firm for almost 6 months.

What are the chances of me getting the PR since I have only work for 6 months. Besides that, what other criteria should I look through? What are the types of PR that I should go for? Independent Skilled Migration?

Hope to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks!
Hi ben8118,

I'm in a similiar situation to you, except that I will have accumulated 3 years work expeirence in I.T. this coming June. If you are intending to migrate to Aus with a partner it may be worth seeing if she can contribute towards your points score. Alternatively do you have any qualifications or family in Aus? Qualifications from Aus will give you extra points. Family in Aus may enable you to apply for a different type of Visa, such as, sponsorship.

If none of the above is the case it might be a lot more difficult. I am having to wait until June to apply for my Visa because I need the 3 years work experience points to get in. My partner has nothing to contribute, and I don't have any Australian qualifications or relatives. On the plus side your qualifications should pass the skills assesment if you can just get enough points to pass the points test.

It might be worth speaking to a migration agent. Most agents will provide a preliminary assesment for little or no charge. They'll also be able to give you more detailled advice, I can only speak from my own experiences.

Best of luck and keep us informed Ben8118. It might be a long trip with many highs and lows but remember what's meant to be is meant to be.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

ben8118 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply elksa..Well..I have a few questions to ask. How come you need to wait until 3 years before applying.
Have you gone through the 1119 document package on independent skilled migration?

If i'm not mistaken, it says that :
------
If your nominated occupation is worth 60 points, you must provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation for at least 12 of the 18 months immediately before applying.

If your nominated occupation is worth 40 or 50 points, you must provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation for at least 2 of the 3 years immediately before you apply.
-----

So, for your current IT job, I'm sure its worth 60 points.
I wonder why you need to wait for 3 years.

Next, can anyone explain to me the first sentence? From what I understand, it says that a person needs to work for at least 12 months (1 year) before applying if that person job is worth 60 points?

As for family or relative, yup...I do have an uncle in Australia. But the point he can contribute is not as much. If i'm not mistaken, sponsorship from relative only contributes 15 points. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, the main part will comes from the work. My current designated work is worth 60 points. But I have only been working for 6 months (1/2 year). How long do I need to work until I'm able to apply? after 1 year or 3 years? That's what I'm confused of.

Hope to hear some feedback from all of you. Thanks.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Here is a link to a calculator to let you work it out yourself.

Self assessment calc

Good luck
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:01 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget to check out the amount of work experience you will need for whichever skills assessing agency you use for your particular occupation - for example, ACS (which assesses IT applicants' skills) usually requires 4-6 years work experience in order for an applicant to have their skills assessed as suitable for migration to Australia.