British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Migration agents performance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/migration-agents-performance-105856/)

Dominic Nov 30th 2001 8:44 pm

Having read through some of your Australian Skilled Migration waiting horror stories, we are thoroughly depressed as we lodged application June 2001 (London), and were given an approx waiting time (from instruction to the migration agent to recieving a reply)of 6-12 mnths. It took the agents 12 months to lodge the application!! Now I believe the wait is up to 15mnths or more. We are in limbo land.

Has anyone had any similar experiences-good or bad, and any positive news?

Pete Nov 30th 2001 10:47 pm

I spent about £2500 with the migration bureau over 12 months and never even got to
the medical or TRA assesment. Making money is their only objective. Nothing else. I
did it myself in the end.

Pete... Spetember 2000

Claire Dec 1st 2001 12:58 pm

We used the Manchester office of Concept Australia and have had no problems at all. They were very quick at lodging our application and we are now just waiting (like everyone else!) to hear something from London.

Dominic Dec 1st 2001 8:22 pm

We started with Concept Australia, who after 3 weeks of telephone conversations appeared to have lost all information about us- we then moved to migration bureau which was an expensive and lengthy move. We feel that we have been through a battle before even reaching the war!
and broke with it!

Hope your application keeps going well

Regards Dominic

Originally posted by Claire
We used the Manchester office of Concept Australia and have had no problems at all. They were very quick at lodging our application and we are now just waiting (like everyone else!) to hear something from London.

Dominic Dec 1st 2001 8:25 pm

Sounds about the same figure of fleecing-

How did you go it alone, and have you received your visa yet?

Regards
Dominic

QUOTE]Originally posted by Pete
I spent about £2500 with the migration bureau over 12 months and never even got to
the medical or TRA assesment. Making money is their only objective. Nothing else. I
did it myself in the end.

Pete... Spetember 2000
[/QUOTE]

John Lamont Dec 2nd 2001 3:47 am

Hi all.......

Don't use a migration agent unless you have a really strange problem with your
application which might have hidden pitfalls.

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that all the info' you need for a
skilled application, is info' that only you can acquire. IE, references etc.

The rest is just common sense, and the ability to read the instructions that
DIMA give you.

If you are not entirely sure about something, and need a second opinion, then that is
what this NG is for.

In short, if you have a fairly straightforward application, then do it yourself.
Employing the services of a Migration Agent is a waste of money.

Cheers..... Johnno.......

John Lamont
[email protected]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Roger Timmins Dec 2nd 2001 9:36 am

Isn't it strange that a lot of the advice comes from those "dastardly" migration
agents for the assistance of others using this group

Roger Timmins

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
need
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Having read through some of your Australian Skilled Migration waiting horror[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > stories, we are thoroughly depressed as we lodged application June 2001[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (London), and were given an approx waiting time (from instruction to the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > migration agent to recieving a reply)of 6-12 mnths. It took the agents 12 months[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to lodge the application!! Now I believe the wait is up to 15mnths or more. We[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > are in limbo land.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Has anyone had any similar experiences-good or bad, and any positive news?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

John Lamont Dec 2nd 2001 12:06 pm

Alan.....

Mabie I was a bit strong in my comments. That's what happens when you check the NG
after a Saturday night out drinking beer!

You guys do a great job, and have given invaluable advice to myself and others on
this NG. I am also a regular visitor to the Gomatilda website, and indeed subscribe
to your e-mail updates service.

All I was trying to say was, that people starting out on the migration process should
see if their application is straightforward enough to do themselves, rather than
assuming that you need an agent. If it is not straightforward, then you guys are the
next move. (As I have advised a mate of mine who is applying for PR and has a
disabled child)

Again, sorry for my drunken ramblings!! I hope I didn't offend anyone too much.

Cheers...... Johnno.......

--
John Lamont
[email protected]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
tax,
    >
not
    >
(and
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
England,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
need
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Having read through some of your Australian Skilled Migration waiting horror[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > stories, we are thoroughly depressed as we lodged application June 2001[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (London), and were given an approx waiting time (from instruction to the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > migration agent to recieving a reply)of 6-12 mnths. It took the agents 12 months[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to lodge the application!! Now I believe the wait is up to 15mnths or more. We[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > are in limbo land.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Has anyone had any similar experiences-good or bad, and any positive news?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

>
    >

ndaltonb Dec 2nd 2001 2:40 pm

Has anyone had any similar experiences-good or bad, and any positive news? [/B][/QUOTE]

Just to add my two cents worth. We are using Zeno of Ian Harrop and Associates and the best thing he does is calm me down if I've seen an horrific posting. The news isn't always good but he is very capable of giving a lot more background to some of the topics posted.

I find Zeno is generally in touch with Aus Comm in London on a daily basis and he has already saved me money but holding back on my medical. I've heard of people having to do it twice.

You have to make up your own mind about agents however, as has been said, a number are providing very good advice for free on this ng and personally, I've found Zeno to be very knowledgable and bang up to date on what's happening.

That said, if your case is bog standard, you are aware of "the long wait" and funds are limited, you can make a go of it yourself if you like forms.

Good luck.

nigel db

heading downunder 2002 Dec 3rd 2001 7:53 am

Totally agree with you Nigel, Zeno is great and so far has been worth every penny.

Just a point to note, some friends of ours did their own trade Recognition for a motor mechanic (straight forward you would think) and they didn't pass the it!!! They are now employing an agent.

Susan