Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migration Agents (Accountant)

Migration Agents (Accountant)

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about
Default Migration Agents (Accountant)

Hi all,

We are just 3 weeks away from my wifes CIPFA results, if we have passed then we will be looking to start to talk to migration agents in February. Can anyone recommend a good agent who they used to migrate as an accountant?

It looks like it won't be straight forward so going with an agent will probably be the best option.

Cheers
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:12 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Migration Agents (Accountant)

Originally Posted by Gethy
Hi all,

We are just 3 weeks away from my wifes CIPFA results, if we have passed then we will be looking to start to talk to migration agents in February. Can anyone recommend a good agent who they used to migrate as an accountant?

It looks like it won't be straight forward so going with an agent will probably be the best option.

Cheers
I'm an Accountant too and can thoroughly recommend Go Matilda.

Try:

http://www.gomatilda.com
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:27 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gethy

If you've not already tried it, you might also want to look in the immigration forum here?

GG

Hi all,

Cheers
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:36 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Gethy,
I'm a big believer in DIY.

The forms arn't that complex and it could save you a packet.

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Cheers
Go with Go-Matilda, they are all acountants too and know the ropes !!!
[email protected]
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 12:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers
Why do you think it won't be straightforward, out of interest?

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Gethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura aboutGethy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do you think it won't be straightforward, out of interest?

Jeremy
CIPFA is only partly recognised in Australia plus Lou's work experience is as an accounting technician within the local authority.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

CIPFA is only partly recognised in Australia plus Lou's work experience is as an accounting technician within the local authority.
The point about CIPFA recognition is not really an issue as far as migration is concerned - ICAA recognise it for migration purposes (as far as I know) and should issue a skill assessment on that basis.

The work experience point is more difficult. There's a good chance that accounting technician work experience could be deemed to be that of a book-keeper which is an advanced clerical occupation that's *not* on the Skilled Occupations List. Even with a positive skill assessment, DIMIA can refuse an application if they don't think the work experience meets their criteria.

So you do need professional advice but also you may need to accept she needs to clock up some professional work experience post CIPFA qualification before applying to migrate.

The ICAA skill assessment is valid for 5 years, so that could probably be done sooner rather than later.

The CIPFA qualification itself is not well known in Australia. One option she could take to improve her CV is to obtain the Scottish chartered accountant qualification through the fast-track route available to CIPFA members.
http://www.icas.org.uk/site/cms/cont...p?article=1034

There's no guarantee that if she became a Scottish CA on this basis that she could become an Australian CA later on (ICAA would have to look at it on an individual basis) but the Scottish CA qualification should be better recognised by employers in Australia than CIPFA.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
The point about CIPFA recognition is not really an issue as far as migration is concerned - ICAA recognise it for migration purposes (as far as I know) and should issue a skill assessment on that basis.

The work experience point is more difficult. There's a good chance that accounting technician work experience could be deemed to be that of a book-keeper which is an advanced clerical occupation that's *not* on the Skilled Occupations List. Even with a positive skill assessment, DIMIA can refuse an application if they don't think the work experience meets their criteria.

So you do need professional advice but also you may need to accept she needs to clock up some professional work experience post CIPFA qualification before applying to migrate.

The ICAA skill assessment is valid for 5 years, so that could probably be done sooner rather than later.

The CIPFA qualification itself is not well known in Australia. One option she could take to improve her CV is to obtain the Scottish chartered accountant qualification through the fast-track route available to CIPFA members.
http://www.icas.org.uk/site/cms/cont...p?article=1034

There's no guarantee that if she became a Scottish CA on this basis that she could become an Australian CA later on (ICAA would have to look at it on an individual basis) but the Scottish CA qualification should be better recognised by employers in Australia than CIPFA.

Jeremy

Just to give a bit more info about our situation.............

Lou has been working as an Accounting Technician for the past 4 and a half years but has been classed as a 'Trainee Accountant' as well because of Initial Professional Development requirements of the CIPFA qualification. Her job description could not really be classed as book-keeper; it's definitely more of an Accountant's role!

She has carried out specific work experience at work to gain the practical Accountancy experience required (including a placement in Internal Audit). She has been logging this as well as obtaining Continued Professional Development AAT Compliance Certificates for the past 3 years. Her place of work have been highly supportive in providing specific work based projects and tasks to ensure full coverage of the CIPFA syllabus.

Lou will hopefully become a Core Accountant from January/February due to restructuring at her place of work which will also broaden her C.V. further.

We would prefer to avoid further study if possible but cheers for the tip about fast-tracking.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

Lou has been working as an Accounting Technician for the past 4 and a half years but has been classed as a 'Trainee Accountant' as well because of Initial Professional Development requirements of the CIPFA qualification. Her job description could not really be classed as book-keeper; it's definitely more of an Accountant's role!

She has carried out specific work experience at work to gain the practical Accountancy experience required (including a placement in Internal Audit). She has been logging this as well as obtaining Continued Professional Development AAT Compliance Certificates for the past 3 years. Her place of work have been highly supportive in providing specific work based projects and tasks to ensure full coverage of the CIPFA syllabus.

Lou will hopefully become a Core Accountant from January/February due to restructuring at her place of work which will also broaden her C.V. further.

We would prefer to avoid further study if possible but cheers for the tip about fast-tracking.
There are three issues that must be addressed:

- work must be paid and over 20 hours per week
- the duties must match with the Australian definition of what a professional accountant does
- the applicant's skill level at the time must match the Australian standard.

If she doesn't already have a university degree (AAT won't count) then there may be a problem with the third requirement even if the second one is met for any work experience obtained prior to CIPFA qualification.

There's not much more that anyone can say on an online forum other than to be careful and use professional assistance.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

We tried to claim additional 5 points when points went up in April for wifes AAT, but couldn't as DIMIA dont recognise Accounting technicians.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:07 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I am a chartered accountant (FCA) and have just had a positive skills assessment. But I am a bit edgy about my work experience. If you ask an accountant what accountants do you will get a very wide range of possible answers like corporate finance, IT, tax..... and I was expecting to walk the experience bit. But advice on this forum and from agents is that the rest of the world (Including DIMIA) have a very narrow view of what an accountant does (IE someone who prepares accounts). Despite intending to go without an agent and being well prepared, because I have been leaning towards systems work in recent years I will now spend some money on an agent to ensure job titles / job descriptions are presented in the most favourable light possible. It sounds like you 2 may have similar issues so I would recommend you invest in an agent.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Migration Agents (Accountant)

Originally Posted by worzel
I am a chartered accountant (FCA) and have just had a positive skills assessment. But I am a bit edgy about my work experience. If you ask an accountant what accountants do you will get a very wide range of possible answers like corporate finance, IT, tax..... and I was expecting to walk the experience bit. But advice on this forum and from agents is that the rest of the world (Including DIMIA) have a very narrow view of what an accountant does (IE someone who prepares accounts). Despite intending to go without an agent and being well prepared, because I have been leaning towards systems work in recent years I will now spend some money on an agent to ensure job titles / job descriptions are presented in the most favourable light possible. It sounds like you 2 may have similar issues so I would recommend you invest in an agent.
Thanks for that, good luck and let us know how u get on!!