Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migration, ACS Assessment & British Qualifications

Migration, ACS Assessment & British Qualifications

Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:05 pm

arridia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migration, ACS Assessment & British Qualifications

How do folks, hope you are all well.
I have a question for those with any knowledge on UK qualifications and their a.

I am currently finishing off a B-TEC Higher National Certificate in computing. The plan was then to do one more year on top to give me a Higher National Diploma. I have a feeling this is equivilent to an 'Australian AQF Advanced Diploma' but not sure.

Now, the UK education system seems to be going through a phase of reform and the B-TEC HND (Higher National Diploma) is being replaced by Foundation Degree's (FdA & FDSc). The idea being they are just below normal Degree's but and more industry/vocationally focused. They should also in theory permit me access to the third/final year of study on a full Degree. I'm going through this because I'm in full time employment and full time stufy isn't particularly handy.

The little knowledge gained recently suggests Foundation Degree's are already used successfully in other countries.

What I need help with is understanding Australia's view on this type of qualification in relation to migration under the Skilled Independant migration stream as an experienced IT professional? Are Foundation Degree's recognised and at what level? Can anyone shed any light on this or provide any more info. I don't want to undertake a higher education qualification that may not be recognised by the ACS or DIMIA.

All help and advice very much appreciated. Take care.

Phil.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:10 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migration, ACS Assessment & British Qualifications

Originally posted by arridia
How do folks, hope you are all well.
I have a question for those with any knowledge on UK qualifications and their a.

I am currently finishing off a B-TEC Higher National Certificate in computing. The plan was then to do one more year on top to give me a Higher National Diploma. I have a feeling this is equivilent to an 'Australian AQF Advanced Diploma' but not sure.

Now, the UK education system seems to be going through a phase of reform and the B-TEC HND (Higher National Diploma) is being replaced by Foundation Degree's (FdA & FDSc). The idea being they are just below normal Degree's but and more industry/vocationally focused. They should also in theory permit me access to the third/final year of study on a full Degree. I'm going through this because I'm in full time employment and full time stufy isn't particularly handy.

The little knowledge gained recently suggests Foundation Degree's are already used successfully in other countries.

What I need help with is understanding Australia's view on this type of qualification in relation to migration under the Skilled Independant migration stream as an experienced IT professional? Are Foundation Degree's recognised and at what level? Can anyone shed any light on this or provide any more info. I don't want to undertake a higher education qualification that may not be recognised by the ACS or DIMIA.

All help and advice very much appreciated. Take care.

Phil.
An HND could be enough, if you have enough work experience. Have a look at the ACS web site. It's pretty good.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:21 pm

arridia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migration, ACS Assessment & British Qualifications

Thanks for your answer, very much appreciated as always.

Do you reckon it's likely then that a Foundation Degree's as the replacement for HND's in a related field (Computing in my case) would be recognised by DIMIA/ACS as suitable and/or comparable to their Australian counterpart qualifications when it comes to ACS assessment? My own feeling is that it is comparable to the AQF Advanced Diploma. Any more views/info would be welcome indeed.

Regards,

Phil.