Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating with visa in Old Passport

Migrating with visa in Old Passport

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrating with visa in Old Passport

Hi, just got my passport renewed (expires May and we migrate in April) and would like to know if travelling to Oz with visa in old passport is fine. Checked with the Oz Consulate at our end, and they confirmed it is okay to travel with both passports.

However just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the same, and if they faced any problems on arrival at Oz with the immigration?

Cheers! Sarah
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Re: Migrating with visa in Old Passport

Originally Posted by scitta
Hi, just got my passport renewed (expires May and we migrate in April) and would like to know if travelling to Oz with visa in old passport is fine. Checked with the Oz Consulate at our end, and they confirmed it is okay to travel with both passports.

However just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the same, and if they faced any problems on arrival at Oz with the immigration?

Cheers! Sarah
From reading previous posts and information you need to carry both Passports with you. I believe it is possible to get the visa moved to your new passport if you wish which would save the hassle.

Can't comment personally, as not been in this situation myself, however I renewed my passport just prior to applying for my visa as although it had 2 years to go I didn't want to have the hassle of carrying 2 passports around. I hope to be an Oz citizen before my new passport/visa expires and then it won't be an issue.

hth

alex
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating with visa in Old Passport

I've travelled with PR visas in expired passports, no problem. The label is the "evidence" of the visa, not the visa itself. Obviously you need a valid passport too.

The only potential problem might be an inexperienced airline check in operator who can't match your valid passport with a visa number on the system.

I've heard that this can cause delays because supervisors need to be summoned or even DIMIA phoned up, but we had no problems with Singapore Airlines check in at Changi.