migrating to Oz - tax on offshore investments

Wikiposts

migrating to Oz - tax on offshore investments

Old May 28th 2004, 9:23 pm
Banned

tweed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re Pensions

Originally posted by sjn2003
Sounds to me like you need to find a good accountant not just any old tosh financial adviser you may come across on the internet - then you might get the right answer
Sounds like jumbo hit a nerve with sjn. Maybe he/she is not up to it. I agree with the point of doing your own research and confirming any points of doubt.

I have had to tell some Oz/Uk financial advisers of some facts which they have then checked for themselves and then agreed with me.
Old May 28th 2004, 9:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
WRONG

I think you are confuseing a question on the Supplementary Tax return that asks you if you have assets of MORE than $50,000 abroard.

I've always answed YES to this and they have never yet querried what I have abroard or where it is. I just declare the income and tax paid abroard. You don't even have to provide doc evidence of what tax you've paid or what income you have recieved. yhey just want a total of foreign income and tax.
Thanks Kiwipaul
Thats why I said I was not sure and would be taking advice.

Best wishes

G
Old May 28th 2004, 11:01 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Grayling
Thanks Kiwipaul
Thats why I said I was not sure and would be taking advice.

Best wishes

G
Hiya Grayling,
would you let us know what they advise

I hgave a company final slary pension and would prefer to leave it in the UK if possible.

Bye
Mark
Old May 29th 2004, 12:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya Grayling,
would you let us know what they advise

I hgave a company final slary pension and would prefer to leave it in the UK if possible.

Bye
Mark
Check that out Mark as I believe the OZ pension tax laws were or have just changed meaning it could be an attractive proposition to transfer your pension to OZ.

Believe you have access to the dosh and your partner gets full pension if you pop it - unlike UK.

Anyone remember the thread that covered this ?
Old May 30th 2004, 5:23 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bix
Check that out Mark as I believe the OZ pension tax laws were or have just changed meaning it could be an attractive proposition to transfer your pension to OZ.

Believe you have access to the dosh and your partner gets full pension if you pop it - unlike UK.
Mark, please do pass on what you find out as I too have a final salary scheme in the UK. Slightly different as it's just been frozen (company spin-off) but I don't suppose that affects the transfer rules.

Cheers

MarkMyWords.
Old May 30th 2004, 12:13 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys.

Did a search on "pension transfer" and loadsa info came up - check it out.

In the meantime this is the one I was looking for....

http://finance.news.com.au/common/st...E23649,00.html