Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Oz - how did you decide where to go?!

View Poll Results: How on (Ozzie) earth do you choose where to migrate to?!
Based on housing prices or rental market availability?
15.91%
Based on transport links or road networks?
2.27%
Based around family already established?
22.73%
Based on employment, & Labour Market outlook within a state?
29.55%
'Cos u had the cash spare to develop a business or idea for an area?
2.27%
Based on the eco-friendly, substainable living complete with smell of fresh air?
0%
Just look at the entertainments on offer! i.e "Rave & Glowsticks" Night?
2.27%
The beaches, sun, sea, surf, sausages, silly long hair for boys?
22.73%
U r the "chosen one" and will be sponsored/ employed/ training?
15.91%
I holidayed there and just had to do it! Came back, not looked back!
9.09%
Caught plane- forgot my Kalms, 20 hrs later, wobbled off - wrong city!
0%
Based on people and cultures within your community?
0%
Based on schooling, services, amenities and health care availability?
4.55%
The kids buried you in sand and u have been there ever since- luckily I like it?
0%
You discover land & no-one knows about it! U plan to build EVERYTHING with ceramic tiles?
2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

stengee is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Migrating to Oz - how did you decide where to go?!

Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Oz - how did you decide where to go?!

We came to Perth because the houses WERE cheap and we knew a couple of folks here.

I wish we hadn't. I wish we'd headed for the East coast, our Australian dream might've had a different ending.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Migrating to Oz - how did you decide where to go?!

Originally Posted by TraceyW View Post
We came to Perth because the houses WERE cheap and we knew a couple of folks here.

I wish we hadn't. I wish we'd headed for the East coast, our Australian dream might've had a different ending.

Oh, is it bad? I am not sure whether I am being nosey?! Tell me, what do you think to Mandurah?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't spent much time there so I can't give you much help there. We've been down for the day and it looks very nice. All very new and a lot of properties are expensive as they're built on the canals.

I have heard it's a bit of a retirement type place, but that could be really duff information so don't take it as gospel!

As for is Perth bad, no it's not at all. It's just not for us.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 2:32 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't have much choice, I was marrying The Bloke and this is where he lives.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 4:10 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above
Old Mar 11th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi we came out for a holiday, really loved what we saw of Brisbane and decided that would be a good place to start. Also research work opportunities whilst we were there. Will be heading off as soon as the house sale is concluded.

Donna
Old Mar 11th 2007, 4:33 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

I met a wonderfull Australian girl!!! So going to live near her mum in Tasmania!!!!! (If we get our Visa!!!)
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 11th 2007, 5:17 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at the employment market (unless we earn some money, can't live ...).

Then we considered the climate.

And finally: what the place had to offer us for when we are not working (things we do now and want to continue doing, things we want to start doing, things we might want to do etc etc - you get the idea). That also included thinking about the kind of people we are, i.e. I can watch "The Good Life" and get all dreamy about living in the country, but I do know that I am not cut out for the rural/outback type of life .

Gina
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Migrating to Oz - how did you decide where to go?!

So then!! So far, we do not seem to have many takers for the "KINGDOM OF TILES" ? ????!

It has to be out there somewhere!!

Any takers?! Don't go worrying about the practicality of the whole tile thing - very durable, versatile and what's more, you will be able to employ one of the very best Wall and Floor (and roof anf ceiling and garage etc etc etc blah blah!!!) that you will ever come across!

Go on! Get your tiling skills flood out - NOW IS THE TIME!

p.s Summarised, this basically means that if anyone possibly knows of any tile related business within the Perth ish area, please let me know or pretty please pass on my details! I have never looked so hard for a job! Will try anything!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:22 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

cos ive never patted a lion
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:29 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Cairns because it has absolutely no bush flies whatsover...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:40 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

OH was one of the 'chosen ones' - but if I remember rightly he was given the choice of working in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. We chose Sydney because we'd both been there, and thought the job opportunities would be better for me