Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Melbourne on my own!

Migrating to Melbourne on my own!

Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future
Default Migrating to Melbourne on my own!

Hi all
I am a 33 year old woman migrating to Melbourne in a couple of months' time.
Does anyone have any info re: temp accommodation on arrival/dos and don'ts/general hints and tips to start me off with?

Am starting from scratch so if anyone also wants to meet up when I get there it would be good!

Thanks!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:12 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Migrating to Melbourne on my own!

Not sure about temp accommodation, but I'm sure there'll be a few guys on here who can recommend good places for you to stay until you get somewhere more permanent sorted.

What sort of work will you be doing? Have a think about whether you want to live in the suburbs, the centre of the city or the outer country areas on the city fringe. This'll help you work out how long you want your daily commute to be (if any), and what sort of things you want in your life. This'll help us give you some more precise advice. Everyone has different ideas on where to live in Melbourne, and it's all down to personal likes/dislikes, and exactly what you need.

Melbourne's not a bad old place (if you like the chilly weather we're having at the moment), and it's pretty straight-forward. Lots of social things to do here, mostly based on getting outdoors and doing stuff! I'm sure you'll do well in Melbourne!

All the best, J
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There are always meetups happening. Check out the Meet Up forum and make yourself known to everyone
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:15 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310
Hi all
Does anyone have any info re: temp accommodation on arrival/dos and don'ts/general hints and tips to start me off with?

Am starting from scratch so if anyone also wants to meet up when I get there it would be good!

Thanks!
Thought it was brisbane you were headed?

For accomodation have a chat with Kate on movingtomelbourne

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

After much advice and weighing things up I have decided that Melbourne is more suited to me (I hope!) Decision mainly based on work situation and social opportunities.

Have been told that St Kilda and surrounding areas are good, and have also checked out the work situation and that seems to be improving, but don't quote me on that!!!

I will check out initial accommodation with Moving to Melbourne- thanks guys for the tips!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:35 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

After much advice and weighing things up I have decided that Melbourne is more suited to me (I hope!) Decision mainly based on work situation and social opportunities.

Have been told that St Kilda and surrounding areas are good, and have also checked out the work situation and that seems to be improving, but don't quote me on that!!!

I will check out initial accommodation with Moving to Melbourne- thanks guys for the tips!
With accounting jobs being close to the city ie Port Melbourne, Fitzroy or as you have already been directed St Kilda will make you more accessible for city based jobs.

First thing you need to do is choose a AFL team and get your tips in by Friday each week
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:37 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

AFL

pah
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:39 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
AFL

pah

I dont share your dislike of Melbourne but appreciate your state of mind.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:39 pm

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
First thing you need to do is choose a AFL team and get your tips in by Friday each week
Absolutely! You'll be following the Saints then if you're thinking of living in St.K, and it's OK, they're doing pretty good at the moment
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:41 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Absolutely! You'll be following the Saints then if you're thinking of living in St.K, and it's OK, they're doing pretty good at the moment
Yes they are statistically speaking top of the table.

Have to wait until July before they get tested (Grrrrrrr)

GO CATS GO
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:43 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

I dont share your dislike of Melbourne but appreciate your state of mind.
I dont 'dislike' Melbourne GG

( Bombers btw )

Lee
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:46 pm

I still don't understand the rules of AFL (if there are any?). All I see is; someone kick the ball, throw the ball, climb onto someones back to catch it, punch someone in the face and then it declines into a general brawl, followed by the crowd cheering and another player giving the TV cameras the finger....

But anyway, GO SAINTS!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:49 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
I still don't understand the rules of AFL (if there are any?). All I see is; someone kick the ball, throw the ball, climb onto someones back to catch it, punch someone in the face and then it declines into a general brawl, followed by the crowd cheering and another player giving the TV cameras the finger....

But anyway, GO SAINTS!
and at the end of the 'game' the winning team sing some crappy song that sounds like it was written in the 1930's....soooooooo naff
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:23 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Hi all

Thanks!
You could check out stayz.com.au and also easystay - heaps of serviced apartments and short term rentals to choose from. Good choice with St Kilda - lots going on all the time, great bars etc. If you want somewhere still beachy but less 'edgy' then check out Port Melbourne - you can walk to the city and still have the beach on your doorstep. Elwood is also nice but there's no tram or train and less nightlife. If the beach isn't that important to you definitely check out Prahran, Brunswick and Fitzroy - all have a great vibe.

My top tip to you for when you arrive would be to never turn down a social invitation - even if it's from someone you don't think you like/have much in common with, or if you're tired/can't be bothered - always make the effort as it will pay dividends sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Collingwood is the team to go for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.