Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to the Gold Coast

Migrating to the Gold Coast

Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Surfie Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Migrating to the Gold Coast

3 years ago, I relocated to the Gold Coast, expecting to be able to transfer my career across the pond, find a new home, sit back and enjoy the sun. The reality has been a little different (except for the sun), as Queensland can be really parochial and the housing market quite complex.

There's a saying here that is certainly true; "Beware: there are more sharks out of the water than in". They certainly know how to recognise new arrivals and - with 17,500 new residents on the Coast each year - all those sharks continue to do a thriving business.

My mistakes cost me dearly but I quickly learnt the ropes (as well as the funky accent) and I'm pleased to say that I'm finally making headway in this city that really IS a paradise (when you avoid the inevitable badies).

Those lessons I published into a book that the local City Council endorsed and has turned into a series of guides to living in Australia's 6 largest cities.

I'm happy to help anyone who sincerely wants to relocate to the Gold Coast, with whatever advice of introductions I can.

If you have a question, feel free to drop me an email and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I'm able (ie. When I'm off the beach/ out of the surf/ not snowed under with work).

Best of luck! The ifficulties of migrating really ARE worth it!

Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to the Gold Coast

Originally posted by Surfie Chick
3 years ago, I relocated to the Gold Coast, expecting to be able to transfer my career across the pond, find a new home, sit back and enjoy the sun. The reality has been a little different (except for the sun), as Queensland can be really parochial and the housing market quite complex.

There's a saying here that is certainly true; "Beware: there are more sharks out of the water than in". They certainly know how to recognise new arrivals and - with 17,500 new residents on the Coast each year - all those sharks continue to do a thriving business.

My mistakes cost me dearly but I quickly learnt the ropes (as well as the funky accent) and I'm pleased to say that I'm finally making headway in this city that really IS a paradise (when you avoid the inevitable badies).

Those lessons I published into a book that the local City Council endorsed and has turned into a series of guides to living in Australia's 6 largest cities.

I'm happy to help anyone who sincerely wants to relocate to the Gold Coast, with whatever advice of introductions I can.

If you have a question, feel free to drop me an email and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I'm able (ie. When I'm off the beach/ out of the surf/ not snowed under with work).

Thanks for that. We are definitely 95% sure we are coming to the gold coast. Will be coming out to validate next summer. We might well take you up on your offer of help.

Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Migrating to the Gold Coast

Originally posted by moneypen20
Thanks for that. We are definitely 95% sure we are coming to the gold coast. Will be coming out to validate next summer. We might well take you up on your offer of help.

If you have to choose between cities; Sydney is great if you want good money and enjoy living in big cities & partying hard.

Melbourne has coffee, fashion, bars & culture but is not that attractive when it's grey, wet and COLD (I was there on Thursday and it only got to 11 degrees max all day. When I arrived home at 10pm, the Gold Coast was 24 degrees!!!).

Brisbane has a muddy river and is starting to be a better place to live than it was.

Perth is beautiful, yet isolated.

Darwin has crocs (need I say more?)

Canberra is TOTALLY land-locked and I'm still waiting to hear enthusiasm from residents.

Adelaid is often referred to as a "dying city".

Hobart is cold, beautiful and breeds future Queens.

The Gold Coast has palm trees, warm waters/ weather, a holiday feel and fab rainforests. What's more - if you're into the great outdoors - you CAN'T do better (boating, 4WDing, surfing etc) BUT.... DON"T expect to earn great money here!!! The economy is narrow (although growing) and wages are significantly less than Sydney or Melbourne.

That said & done; Australia has GOT TO BE on of the best places in the world to live if you're serious about getting the most out of life.

Let me know when you make it Down Under and if you enjoy your beers, ensure you head up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays as they sure now how to party!!!

Regards ([email protected])
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

pb_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Migrating to Gold Coast

You wouldn't be the author of a book I recently purchased called 'Where to live on the Gold Coast' would you?

Either way a copy of the GC guide would be gr8

PB
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:46 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

If you have to choose between cities; Sydney is great if you want good money and enjoy living in big cities & partying hard.

Melbourne has coffee, fashion, bars & culture but is not that attractive when it's grey, wet and COLD (I was there on Thursday and it only got to 11 degrees max all day. When I arrived home at 10pm, the Gold Coast was 24 degrees!!!).

Brisbane has a muddy river and is starting to be a better place to live than it was.

Perth is beautiful, yet isolated.

Darwin has crocs (need I say more?)

Canberra is TOTALLY land-locked and I'm still waiting to hear enthusiasm from residents.

Adelaid is often referred to as a "dying city".

Hobart is cold, beautiful and breeds future Queens.

The Gold Coast has palm trees, warm waters/ weather, a holiday feel and fab rainforests. What's more - if you're into the great outdoors - you CAN'T do better (boating, 4WDing, surfing etc) BUT.... DON"T expect to earn great money here!!! The economy is narrow (although growing) and wages are significantly less than Sydney or Melbourne.

That said & done; Australia has GOT TO BE on of the best places in the world to live if you're serious about getting the most out of life.

Let me know when you make it Down Under and if you enjoy your beers, ensure you head up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays as they sure now how to party!!!

Regards ([email protected])

Now there is someone who is happy!

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!

Wouldn't YOU be too if you could commute to work (up the hall) in your PJs and work on the laptop at the beach!!!

I LOVE this city!!! It ROCKS!!!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I Picked up a copy of your Book "Where to live on the gold Coast" when I was over there, and I actually gave a glowing reference on here the other day .

But you are right, there are pitfalls and people like yourself who have been through it are really helpful to us people and putting it down on paper can only be a good thing.

Cheers from one of those ready to make those mistakes

Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:33 pm

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there Surfer Chick
Nice to hear from someone who has survived and come out the other side. We moved to Varsity Lakes last July, and althought we love it here, still find it hard sometimes. The kids have settled really well, and if Rob can get his BSA license in plumbing, and me a job, all will be ok. Be good to try and meet up for a coffee, Louisaxx
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Default Feedback re the book

Hey All!

I must say that it's massively encouraging to hear such feedback re the book.

Thanks soooo much for spreading the word as I know it can be challenging to track down when bookstores won't list the ISBN. Dymocks are the best place to try in Ausi, otherwise, my site lists all stockists (www.laughingwaters.com.au).

Am thinking about building out a site that will give weekly news for Qld property as well as some of the text from the books for each suburb in the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

If anyone thinks this would be of interest - pls drop me an email ([email protected]) and I'll let you know as soon as it's live.

BTW. If it makes those in the UK and down south in Oz feel better - it' s drizzling here today and only about 20(ish) degrees. At least the palm trees still look great and we DO need some rain as it hasn't rained in maybe a month.

Have a great day!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feedback re the book

Hey All!

I must say that it's massively encouraging to hear such feedback re the book.

Thanks soooo much for spreading the word as I know it can be challenging to track down when bookstores won't list the ISBN. Dymocks are the best place to try in Ausi, otherwise, my site lists all stockists (www.laughingwaters.com.au).

Am thinking about building out a site that will give weekly news for Qld property as well as some of the text from the books for each suburb in the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

If anyone thinks this would be of interest - pls drop me an email ([email protected]) and I'll let you know as soon as it's live.

BTW. If it makes those in the UK and down south in Oz feel better - it' s drizzling here today and only about 20(ish) degrees. At least the palm trees still look great and we DO need some rain as it hasn't rained in maybe a month.

Have a great day!

Got to disagree Surfie, it lashed it down for 2 hours the other wednesday when we were over there but it soon made up for it, cos it was sunny and about 28 degrees for our last 4 days

Anyway think it would be a good idea about the real estate,

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Default GOLD COAST SCHOOLS

If anyone would like a copy of a PDF document taht lists contact details and websites for all old Coast schools, please sing out and I'll be happy to email it to you.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hiya Surfie Chick
We are also off to the Gold Coast in the next few months. We have visted twice before and intend to buy our own business.
I will try to order a copy of the book.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Default Where to Live in the Gold Coast book

Excellent news! You'll be arriving at a wonderful time of year when it's not too hot (but can get rather windy)!

Drop me a line when you get here and I'll do what I can to help you resettle.

I'm presuming you're in the UK, which means you can't order the book in stores there (at this point). What we're currently doing is building an e-com site that will help you place an order online.

In the meantime, if you'd like to order it direct from me, I can post a copy to you and you'll get it in 5 - 7 days.

It's 272 pages though and weighs almost a kilo, so the postage is more than the book! That said & done, it all comes to UK pounds 16.75 including postage. (Not nearly as much as I lost making wrong dcisions on where to live when I arrived).

My niece lives in London, so I ask people to transfer the money to her and I ship the book from here (Aus).

You can view a few screengrabs (of the Surfers Paradise profile) online at www.laughingwaters.com.au/gallery.htm

All the best with the move. You won't regret it - although the first 2 - 5 years are ALWAYS the most challenging.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Where to Live in the Gold Coast book

Excellent news! You'll be arriving at a wonderful time of year when it's not too hot (but can get rather windy)!

Drop me a line when you get here and I'll do what I can to help you resettle.

I'm presuming you're in the UK, which means you can't order the book in stores there (at this point). What we're currently doing is building an e-com site that will help you place an order online.

In the meantime, if you'd like to order it direct from me, I can post a copy to you and you'll get it in 5 - 7 days.

It's 272 pages though and weighs almost a kilo, so the postage is more than the book! That said & done, it all comes to UK pounds 16.75 including postage. (Not nearly as much as I lost making wrong dcisions on where to live when I arrived).

My niece lives in London, so I ask people to transfer the money to her and I ship the book from here (Aus).

You can view a few screengrabs (of the Surfers Paradise profile) online at www.laughingwaters.com.au/gallery.htm

All the best with the move. You won't regret it - although the first 2 - 5 years are ALWAYS the most challenging.

Thats nothing it cost me £2375 for the flights to get to the bookshop to get it

It's brilliant by the way, really informative

Cheers
Old Jun 11th 2004, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Many thanks!