British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Migrating with a dog (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/migrating-dog-486276/)

IanJakeCharlieDaddy Oct 9th 2007 7:50 pm

Migrating with a dog

We are migrating next year with our dog who is nearly nine years old. She is a working cocker spaniel and despite being a pain in the backside, is part of the family and we love her loads. She is in good health but she does get scared of loud noises (fireworks, thunder etc).

We are in two minds about taking her with us due to her age and being scared of noisy situations.

We were wondering if anyone else was the same, having the same thoughts etc but ended up being all okay?

Our other consideration is that we will be migrating to Brisbane and the closest quaranteen kennels is in Sydney which means that we may only be able to go and visit her once or twice in her 30 days stay. Has anyone found that their dog has "changed" after their stay?

Please help us to make the right decision.

Ian.

scrum Oct 9th 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Migrating with a dog

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy (Post 5405846)
We are migrating next year with our dog who is nearly nine years old. She is a working cocker spaniel and despite being a pain in the backside, is part of the family and we love her loads. She is in good health but she does get scared of loud noises (fireworks, thunder etc).

We are in two minds about taking her with us due to her age and being scared of noisy situations.

We were wondering if anyone else was the same, having the same thoughts etc but ended up being all okay?

Our other consideration is that we will be migrating to Brisbane and the closest quaranteen kennels is in Sydney which means that we may only be able to go and visit her once or twice in her 30 days stay. Has anyone found that their dog has "changed" after their stay?

Ian.

Ian

We had a beautiful dog who we decided should stay behind. We couldn't justify the expense to be honest. He was a mongrel but like yours he was also one of the family.

We found a lovely old lady who took him in. She had been widowed 12 months before and 3 months before we gave her scrum her own dog had died.

We insisted on bringing him to her house and I have to say it was the best thing we could have done. She now feels much safer and not so lonely and he has found someone to pamper him and give him undivided attention.

It was quite hard for the first week or so and even now when I have a juicy bone he comes fondly to mind but I know I did the right thing for him.

I also think giving him away well in advance of our move has made the seperation much easier for the kids to deal with.

Trish

Donna&Neil Oct 9th 2007 9:33 pm

Hi Ian, we had the same concerns as you. Our cocker spaniel is real timid, but a gorgeous, lovable dog. We contemplated leaving him behind as did not think he would cope with flight, quarantine etc and yeah had thought it all may change his lovely nature. BUT 5 months on he is just great, no change at all. He is currently struggling with the heat so we have had him shaved and it has made a huge difference. We have no regrets about bringing him. Hope this helps.

Donna & Neil

cartel Oct 9th 2007 9:47 pm

Hi,

We have two staffies and had decided to give them to friends (we did - but they came back 9 hours later!!!). It was a sign that they were meant to come to Oz with us and I am glad they did.

Things to consider. They have to get through the flight. They will be in Eastern Creek (Sydney) for 30 days and although they look after the dogs they don't get the cuddle time that they would be used to. Our dogs both lost 3kg in kennels and their coats looked quite shabby. We didn't go down to see them as we thought it would be hard on both them and us, but we did do the drive down at the end of the month and took a week to do it so we could do a bit of sightseeing while at it.

They were a little 'stressed' when we got them home but I think that was down to their 'recent' experience. They are up and running now and their personalities have not changed a bit.

They are suffering from the heat a bit but I take them out before 9am and then throw them in the swimming pool in the afternoon :rofl:

Money wise - it isn't cheap keeping your dogs here. Registration is approx $90 per year. A 15kg bag of food $90. Advantix (fleas & ticks) $50 every quarter, heart worm annual injection $100, intestinal worms tablets $25 every quarter. So you have to bear this in mind.

Part of me wishes that I had found them a good home in the UK, but then I know our family wouldn't be the same without them. It is great seeing them running on the beach and swimming out to get a ball. They are having a great life here (as are we) and once they get used to the heat their lives will be complete.

Hope this helps

Carol:D

Centurion Oct 9th 2007 10:20 pm

Brought our dog with us. Would not consider anything else. Yes its expensive, but frankly we would have paid double to have him with us. Sure the money could be spent elsewhere, however he makes me smile every day and that is beyond mere cash value and is priceless.

Don't worry about the dog adapting. You'll be more stressed than they are and whats 30 days in quarantine to see you when the alternative is not seeing you again!

SarahJane2007 Oct 10th 2007 12:34 am

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy (Post 5405846)

Ian.

We had an 8 year old Bullmastiff...Amber. We decided it would be best for her to stay in the Uk. An old school friend of mine has her and because her children are teenages Amber has 1 to 1 undivided attention and couldnt be happier....she was way do the hiararki (dont no if right spelling) in our house under 4 children. We feel better knowing i can pick up the phone and see how she is. we do miss her being around though.

IanJakeCharlieDaddy Oct 10th 2007 9:44 am

1 Attachment(s)
Thank-you all for your responses.

Picture of Millie if you're interested!

gilly43 Oct 10th 2007 9:50 am

I do a lot of voluntary work for a dog rescue, the rescue itself is based in South Wales, but often I foster dog here with me in my own home if the dog gets on with children and other dogs. As I am more central in Gloucestershire it opens up a lot more homes for the dogs... If you have problems then pm me and I will try my best to help you out... Please make sure you home vet any homes... She looks a lovely dog so hopefully you will have no problems, but if you want her to have rescue back up if things go wrong, people always have to sign an agreement that the dogs must be returned to the rescue if they do not want them anymore...

For my mind, I would take her with you, she will be fine...

IanJakeCharlieDaddy Oct 10th 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by gilly43 (Post 5407675)
I do a lot of voluntary work for a dog rescue, the rescue itself is based in South Wales, but often I foster dog here with me in my own home if the dog gets on with children and other dogs. As I am more central in Gloucestershire it opens up a lot more homes for the dogs... If you have problems then pm me and I will try my best to help you out... Please make sure you home vet any homes... She looks a lovely dog so hopefully you will have no problems, but if you want her to have rescue back up if things go wrong, people always have to sign an agreement that the dogs must be returned to the rescue if they do not want them anymore...

For my mind, I would take her with you, she will be fine...

Thanks Gilly. We rescued her in the first place and my wife is a Vet nurse. I think that the comments on this forum have cemented my thoughts to take her.

gilly43 Oct 10th 2007 10:31 am

Pleased you are taking her.. I hate to think of mine being in kennels for 30 days but its a small price to pay and I love them too much...

Bushpig Oct 10th 2007 10:33 am

I left my 2 cocker spaniels in the UK 10yr old who has a really bad blood condition, red platelett level of 13!! the lowest they had seen, he went to my mother in law so gets spoilt rotten in place of the grand kids. the 7 yr old went to our freinds who love her and have known her all her life, would not of been fair to bring her over here without him. both are doing really well and since being here we have got 2 puppies which are used to the heat and are doing really well.

no one will judge you if you choose to leave the dog in the uk in a good home, and you can still have the enjoyment of the dog as you can hear what they've been up to, we get a letter regulary from Lenny telling us how nanna is treating him and I get to talk to Lara on SKYPE. ( lenny and lara are my cockers names)

to be honest me mother in law gets alot more phone calls as she has Lenny, and she knows it.

pumpkin blossom Oct 10th 2007 6:40 pm

Well we are definatly taking ours.
We are starting a course early Feb and had hoped to be in Oz by early Dec, but house sale is not going fast enough, so it is looking like we will wait until after Xmas. Apparently we won't be able to ship her the couple of weeks over Xmas and new year, so it looks like we will have to send her over early Jan. We had wanted to fly into Melbourne, pick her up, and then drive to Adelaide, but it looks like we will have to get her flown to Adelaide now.
But at least she will be with us.