Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

That may be the case for you but our kids miss their grandparents enormously, I guess it depends on what the g/ps were like.

Originally Posted by northernbird
A huge regret for you yes but your children will not be disadvantaged IMO by not having them close.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
That may be the case for you but our kids miss their grandparents enormously, I guess it depends on what the g/ps were like.
My children's grandparents are lovely but I don't think they are disadvantaged compared to a child who see theirs.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:42 am
Just Joined

j0n4g4ts1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe if we have parents who moved from UK to OZ, they can share with us if they feel there kids are better off in OZ compared to the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Kids don't need Grandparents. They are lovely to have and I'm sure the kids miss them when they move but I don't think they need them.
I've got to say I totally agree - I moved back from Perth because I thought my kids needed family - grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc but having been back 6 years I now know otherwise. Yes it's nice to see them but my kids couldnt really give a hoot about the whole family thing - so long as they have mum, dad, brother, sister around them they are happy, secure and feel loved (oh and get to play with friends
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
I've got to say I totally agree - I moved back from Perth because I thought my kids needed family - grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc but having been back 6 years I now know otherwise. Yes it's nice to see them but my kids couldnt really give a hoot about the whole family thing - so long as they have mum, dad, brother, sister around them they are happy, secure and feel loved (oh and get to play with friends
Agree Agree Agree
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

And how old the kids are Whatever their age now it won't be that long before they want to be off on their own - uni, gap year, just going.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

My children's grandparents are lovely but I don't think they are disadvantaged compared to a child who see theirs.
I don't comment much about kids stuff, because I'm just not interested generally. But I have kids from a previous marriage and it always strikes me that when a lot of parents say that kids 'need' their grandparents, it's the parents that need the grandparents more, mostly for babysitting and as a drop in centre.

Over the years I've read countless comments from parents who 'couldn't possibly cope' without their own parents to help out with kids. Guess what, you can, thousands and thousands of migrants do it all the time and just get on with it.

I think there is a difference between raising kids with little grandparent input and taking them away from a situation where the grandparents were very involved. I cannot for the life of me see where this 'better for the kids' sentiment comes from with regards to Oz, but everyone has their own reasons for moving, in either direction.

I think if you scratch beneath the surface of a lot of the 'doing it for the kids' or 'what kids need' there's a whole lot more going on than the simplicity of those statements. Do what you want to do first as parents, kids will fall in with it and forge their own way in life later on (and IMO be better off for not having an over reliance on people that won't be around forever, but that's an individual thing).
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I don't comment much about kids stuff, because I'm just not interested generally. But I have kids from a previous marriage and it always strikes me that when a lot of parents say that kids 'need' their grandparents, it's the parents that need the grandparents more, mostly for babysitting and as a drop in centre.

Over the years I've read countless comments from parents who 'couldn't possibly cope' without their own parents to help out with kids. Guess what, you can, thousands and thousands of migrants do it all the time and just get on with it.

I think there is a difference between raising kids with little grandparent input and taking them away from a situation where the grandparents were very involved. I cannot for the life of me see where this 'better for the kids' sentiment comes from with regards to Oz, but everyone has their own reasons for moving, in either direction.

I think if you scratch beneath the surface of a lot of the 'doing it for the kids' or 'what kids need' there's a whole lot more going on than the simplicity of those statements. Do what you want to do first as parents, kids will fall in with it and forge their own way in life later on (and IMO be better off for not having an over reliance on people that won't be around forever, but that's an individual thing).
I agree with every word. I see posts on here and other expat websites asking 'what will I do with my children while I work when I move to Australia'. Well you will do what thousands of other parents do all over the world and put them in daycare.

We came here for work. On the whole I think my children have a better life here and my life recently with my eldest daughter hasn't been without serious issues. I still believe they are better off here and it isn't just because of the weather and the beaches.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, I know others have said more but all I am saying is that it is great for kids to have their grandparents around, I didnt expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:35 am
Banned

The problem is for everyone who tells you that kids are better off in Oz there will be just as many who say it doesnt make any difference which country you are in. To me what seems to make the difference is your location within either country. I know what you are saying, you really want to believe that this move will somehow make your kids healthier or happier or whatever but it just really isnt the case.

Originally Posted by j0n4g4ts1
Maybe if we have parents who moved from UK to OZ, they can share with us if they feel there kids are better off in OZ compared to the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmm.....why go? where to go? what about the kids?
Questions, questions, questions and so many variances in the responses and opinions.
Do NOT move for the kids......you will break your hearts, your bank balance and your current lifestyle and then arrive and they may HATE it...no friends to make, just don't feel like fitting in.
Kids are fickle and yes resilient but if you want to move, then you should really feel like you ALL want to move. Work can be good if you get the right role and the right employer but like any job it can all go belly up....then what? What support will you have? What will you do to maintain your mortgage/rent/child care etc? Who do you speak to? What benefits can you get? Australia is not 'Britain with sunshine and great beaches', it is different, it has some issues with cultural integration, it does things which will infuriate you, each State has its own rules and laws and taxes which will baffle your common sense.
Everyones circumstances are personal to them, our reason for coming here was to experience something different and for me it was a promotion, pay rise and a step up the company ladder and it was all derisked by keeping the house in UK and letting it out, plus my job in UK being held for me. We came over on a 3 yr Temp Visa so it was a sort of 'try before you buy' move, it has all worked out and we are now Permanent Residents...but....it could all have gone wrong and that safety net back in UK was very important to us.
Have a look at the jobs you can get, have a look at the salaries being offered, have a look at the different states and areas to live. Think about what will be important for the FAMILY in terms of leisure, schools, work commute etc. Think about who and what you are leaving behind and are there any strong emotional ties, will THEY accept you leaving and will it cause any anguish.
Once you have resolved all that and think you have found all your answers and analysed it all, then do it again just to make sure. Then, if you can afford it, if the whole family wants to do it, if you find the right roles for you both then go for it......rent your UK house out initially, rent here initially (which is far more common than the UK) and then try it for AT LEAST a year, probably two. Then do all your analysis again!! Good luck!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendee
Yeah, but the U.K is broken beyond repair!
lol.....well thats Pompey for you!!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:51 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, I know others have said more but all I am saying is that it is great for kids to have their grandparents around, I didnt expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition
It's the only thing that acts as a pull factor to Britain for us.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0n4g4ts1
Well I think you are just trying to word the question to get the answer you want. Who is going to come on and say their kids are much worse off but too bad!

Come to Australia if you want to, you dont need to justify it by saying it is for the kids, they will be fine wherever they are. At least the thread has maybe clarified what you really want; I think you want to move but are looking for endorsement of the decision.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zen10
One thing that irks me about England is the class system. The barriers this puts up will only have been noticed by people who attempted to cross them or who lived with a foot either side of the barriers, etc. I know in the average day to day existence it's practically invisible but it lurks nonetheless if you know where to look for it! And there's none of that in Australia so for me a major plus for Aussie although I love both countries dearly. It's just a sad failing that the English haven't squashed this problem years ago, that's all.

I mean in terms of your kids having access to all of society instead of finding certain parts are off limits.
Are you serious ? There may not be a class system as such here but snobbery is alive and well. Australians are obsessed about what suburbs to live in, what schools their children attend, the size of their houses, the size of their swimming pools, the type of cars they drive and eating in "posh" restaurants.

We attended a 60th birthday party in Perth yesterday and yet again we had new people we met asking us why we lived in Baldivis of all places and not Perth. Shock horror we would choose to live anywhere near Rockingham.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.