Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

j0n4g4ts1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

Me, my wife and 2 kids have been thinking of migrating Down Under. We reasearched and there is a high chance we can get Permanent Residence. We have decent jobs and a live a decent life here in UK. Wife is a Nurse and I am an IT Engineer. I have been hearing people on this forum saying the Cost of Living in now High and that jobs are no longer available as they used to be etc, My question is, IS IT NOW THAT BAD, that it's no longer worth the Risk of loosing a comfortable life, house, jobs, friends, family etc.

We were hoping to get visa sorted and try to see if we can get jobs from here (UK) at least one of us, but I am left thinking that the outlook doesn't seem good at the moment with people saying the Australian economy is showing signs of slowing down. I am left thinking it might not be a good time to make the move. What's your opinion ....

Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Australia - Is it still Worth the Risk

Originally Posted by j0n4g4ts1
Me, my wife and 2 kids have been thinking of migrating Down Under. We reasearched and there is a high chance we can get Permanent Residence. We have decent jobs and a live a decent life here in UK. Wife is a Nurse and I am an IT Engineer. I have been hearing people on this forum saying the Cost of Living in now High and that jobs are no longer available as they used to be etc, My question is, IS IT NOW THAT BAD, that it's no longer worth the Risk of loosing a comfortable life, house, jobs, friends, family etc.

We were hoping to get visa sorted and try to see if we can get jobs from here (UK) at least one of us, but I am left thinking that the outlook doesn't seem good at the moment with people saying the Australian economy is showing signs of slowing down. I am left thinking it might not be a good time to make the move. What's your opinion ....

Thanks
Here's a great tip: don't make major decisions based on what you read on here. Opinions are like assholes etc. Only you can decide on what to do.

Our economy is slowing in parts but is still doing okay and I think that it will bumble along like this for a few more years yet. Recession, somewhere along the line, is inevitable.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Certainly anyone moving now won't be able to trade in the 2 bed terraced for a 4 bed with pool anymore. And people that have been here longer than I talk about the increase in cost of living in recent years.

I moved over two years ago though and this increase in cost of living doesn't bother me at all as I never saw it, never experienced the lower costs in first place so I don't worry about it.

We didn't move to be financially better off though, we moved for an adventure. Motivation for moving is important, can you pinpoint you motivation? Recession will happen everywhere, it is part of a cycle.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Thanks
it is what it is in aus, ups and downs, if your happy in the uk why head down here, if it were me id try a holiday and see about jobs ect while your here, its all relevant to what you earn here and also where you live, we manage on around 70 k a year, i know folks who struggle on 160 k , we cant eat out every week , they can, were happy , there not, its all about what you want out of life ect, dont know about work for it ect, i know nurses have been getting the boot in qld thanks to good ol cambell (im a smug git) newman. ive always had work so it hasnt affected me, do loads of research and try and decide for yourselves, you will get loads of opinions on here as the other poster said, probably not as balanced as you need. goodl uck with it all, we never regretted it.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
The media in Australia portrays Europe as a place that is currently in dire economical doom and those who paint that picture of Europe include the UK in that. As you know the UK is bumbling along and there isn't mass unemployment and so forth. So don't believe everything you read.

Why would you risk losing house, jobs, friends, family etc? You can keep your house, friends and family in the UK when living in Oz. Sure you give up a job but you can certainly get another.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Certainly anyone moving now won't be able to trade in the 2 bed terraced for a 4 bed with pool anymore. And people that have been here longer than I talk about the increase in cost of living in recent years.

I moved over two years ago though and this increase in cost of living doesn't bother me at all as I never saw it, never experienced the lower costs in first place so I don't worry about it.

We didn't move to be financially better off though, we moved for an adventure. Motivation for moving is important, can you pinpoint you motivation? Recession will happen everywhere, it is part of a cycle.
The motivation is to give kids a better life coz we believe OZ is a better place to bring up kids but food on the table is just as important for them.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnknight001
it is what it is in aus, ups and downs, if your happy in the uk why head down here, if it were me id try a holiday and see about jobs ect while your here, its all relevant to what you earn here and also where you live, we manage on around 70 k a year, i know folks who struggle on 160 k , we cant eat out every week , they can, were happy , there not, its all about what you want out of life ect, dont know about work for it ect, i know nurses have been getting the boot in qld thanks to good ol cambell (im a smug git) newman. ive always had work so it hasnt affected me, do loads of research and try and decide for yourselves, you will get loads of opinions on here as the other poster said, probably not as balanced as you need. goodl uck with it all, we never regretted it.
Hi

Where are you based at the moment because I understand some states/cities are more expensive to live than others even though it depends on lifestyle like you said. As for the move, we believe OZ provides a better environment for the kids.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Where are you based at the moment because I understand some states/cities are more expensive to live than others even though it depends on lifestyle like you said. As for the move, we believe OZ provides a better environment for the kids.
Expensive is relative to what you earn. You can burn your brain trying to figure it all out. As has been suggested on here before, take your current salary in pounds and multiply that by 2.2-2.5. That's what you want to receive in $A dollars to be better than OK. Sydney is expensive but I suspect salaries are better in Sydney than other places that aren't so expensive.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:37 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We recently came back to the UK after 12 years in Brisbane so our viewpoint is of course slightly different. We are living in an area with virtually no crime, loads of beautiful countryside, kids are loving being in a small rural school. I have seen absolutely nothing to make me think that kids have a 'better' life in Australia. All our kids friends here are wonderfully polite, well adjusted bright kids. Of course I could go to any inner city and the picture could/would be totally different but that would be true in either country.
Australia is not what it used to be, still a nice place to live but for us definitely no nicer than here. Several State Governments are slashing jobs to try and balance their books, mining is slowing and most other sectors of the economy are finding things tough.
If you have a good comfortable life where you are why risk it ? As they say if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:41 am
Banned

Location: Portsmouth, well I went there once, I think, and Australia
Wendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
We recently came back to the UK after 12 years in Brisbane so our viewpoint is of course slightly different. We are living in an area with virtually no crime, loads of beautiful countryside, kids are loving being in a small rural school. I have seen absolutely nothing to make me think that kids have a 'better' life in Australia. All our kids friends here are wonderfully polite, well adjusted bright kids. Of course I could go to any inner city and the picture could/would be totally different but that would be true in either country.
Australia is not what it used to be, still a nice place to live but for us definitely no nicer than here. Several State Governments are slashing jobs to try and balance their books, mining is slowing and most other sectors of the economy are finding things tough.
If you have a good comfortable life where you are why risk it ? As they say if it aint broke dont fix it.
Yeah, but the U.K is broken beyond repair!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendee
Yeah, but the U.K is broken beyond repair!
What a stupid post
Old Sep 16th 2012, 10:47 am
Banned

Not her first and wont be her last
Old Sep 16th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Have you checked your eligibility for a visa? It's all hypothetical until you have. And things will have changed by the time you get a visa.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice

From someone who has had a failed emigration from UK to Oz with two children, my advice would be that do it, but don't burn all your bridges behind you. Don't sell up, rent your home, take career breaks rather than resigning. Things can go wrong and the whole adventure can become a nightmare with major losses. That said, "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

Last edited by Neil51; Sep 16th 2012 at 12:41 pm. Reason: spelling mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.