Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrants - What were you thinking when you came here ?

View Poll Results: What were you thinking when you first came here ?
I was moving permanently to Australia
71.79%
I would probably return to the UK after some years in Australia
12.82%
something else
15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Migrants - What were you thinking when you came here ?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Migrants - What were you thinking when you came here ?

Migrants - What were you thinking when you first came here ?

Were you thinking:

or
or
something else ?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:10 am
rudo1ph

Default Re: Migrants - What were you thinking when you came here ?

We came to stay...........one year on and that's still the same.

Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:28 am
mick n cheryl

We were coming to stay permanently!! Arrived full of hope and dreams June 03. Returned Sept 04.

Cheryl just could not settle, and felt too homesick etc, but we tried and I loved it. But it is a big change and anyone with any reservations or worries should seriously think before they move it was a very expensive 'year out' for us

Mick n Cheryl

Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:36 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I'd love to split my time between the UK and Australia but it will depend on funds and my tollerance of the long flight.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:38 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Something else: didn't know, still don't know. We'll see.
At the moment we think we're here permanent, but anything could change that.
We've told Pascal's parents(who are coming on holiday in a month), that we would stay here for 2 years, and then see..... Right now, 2 years sounds way to short(times flying!!), and after being here that long, I can't see myself going back!!
On the other hand, my parents went back after 9 years.... Friends of my parents after about 15....
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Migrants - What were you thinking when you first came here ?

Were you thinking:

or
or
something else ?
I came here for a working holiday with no intention on staying. Meeting an Aussie girl changed all that. May go back to the UK in the future or may stay here. Both countries have plenty to offer.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:34 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I've travelled all over all my life and was really worried hubby wouldn't settle. Truth is....he loves it and I'm the one wanting to go back! Australia is great, the people and great but home is where your heart is.....and where the grandparents are.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:04 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I came because my parents had decided to stay a while, my dad was diagnosed with cancer at around the same time. I guess I wanted to spend a bit of time with them as they are quite old now and after they sailed away nearly 9 yrs ago we'd become somewhat estranged
Deb on the other hand had always wanted to live somewhere nice and sunny it could have been anywhere Australia just suits her perfectly.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Not really sure what we were thinking........ Just that we'd give it a go, and decide when we got here whether to stay or not ?
The jury's still out......... !
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:04 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

We are here to stay!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Came with the outlook of a permanent move and 2 years and motnh on we are still feeling the same. So for us i think this is for life, but hey who knows what will happen in the mean time.
Joanne
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:10 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I came out here expecting it to be permanent - not too surprising as I was coming here to marry the gorgeous MrsDagBoy and she is a local.
3 years and 6 months later, nothing has changed. I absolutely love it here. We just went back to the UK for a holiday (first time back since I moved here) and whilst I loved seeing family and meeting my new nephew and niece etc. I have no great desire to go back anytime soon.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:21 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

we came here thinking this is something we have to do.....probably to stay

been here 14 months now and love it.
who knows whats in store for the future eh?.....
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

We came here to stay with the thought that if we didn't like it we would return (we had never even visited before). However, although we have been here for only 11 weeks we have never given a thought to going back, but we don't have a big family/friends thing going on in the UK (notice I don't call it home anymore) and we've find it easy to get work. Too easy
Karen
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I came alone for a year's working holiday in 1979. Got a 6 months extension as a year clearly wasn't going to be long enough. Then applied for permanent residence as 18 months clearly wasn't going to be long enough. Expected back then that I might go home one day, when the novelty wore off.

Well it never has. Still happy here 25 years later. Found a husband, had two sons who were both born here and I've never, ever been homesick. I still get a thrill whenever I drive over the bridge or see the jacarandas in flower. Will never go back now permanently.