The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
threlly

'Fraid not. It's the real thing. And just to let you know, I had my first session with a behavioural therapist yesterday to help me cope with them. I am utterly terrified (as a lot on here are). I trapped a spider for the first time yesterday (which is a big deal for me). It was only a small one, but it's a start. Only problem is that the beaker I used on it wouldn't come close to covering a huntsman - perhaps a bucket would be better - but I really doubt whether I could get that close to it!!!! (You cant squish them coz they make such a mess!).

D D

oh God - i cant cope with that, i really cant. we have 2 daughters - they will be traumatised!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Must admit I am not a spider fan, and I will ALWAYS be checking my sun visor before I get in the car!

You must get used to them after a while though surely?
I think you do. I've seen 5 or 6, they make me say "OMG" and stop short, but the last one - in the bathroom - didn't make me shriek, and I just left it there. The thing to do is remember they are harmless, just big, and they eat things that are nasty - like roaches.
Check the sunvisor cos the shock of it landing on you will make you jump, but thats all it is, the shock value. Whenever I think of them now, I think "Bye bye nasty germridden flying roaches" - they are worse, believe me. Throw one of those at your daughter, Rooksie, she'll go to bed cuddling a Huntsman.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you do. I've seen 5 or 6, they make me say "OMG" and stop short, but the last one - in the bathroom - didn't make me shriek, and I just left it there. The thing to do is remember they are harmless, just big, and they eat things that are nasty - like roaches.
Check the sunvisor cos the shock of it landing on you will make you jump, but thats all it is, the shock value. Whenever I think of them now, I think "Bye bye nasty germridden flying roaches" - they are worse, believe me. Throw one of those at your daughter, Rooksie, she'll go to bed cuddling a Huntsman.

im on the verge of tears - i cant believe you are so calm. im shi**ing bricks already.

i cant believe you left the one in your bathroom - that would beg the question "where the hell is he now?" oh my god oh my god oh my god.

and if one fell on my lap id be on the next plane back to UK i just know it.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

You mean ten times smaller.....

Gekhos are small (most of the time) wall climbing lizards that make a strange clicking sound.....

Please tell me toilet rolls in Oz are 10 times the size of the ones we get in the UK!!!!

Regards

Nikki

P.S. What are Gekhos (will I be sorry I asked....??)[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:36 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I heard that too, and yep we definately get them here in WA.

The thing that stops you from being scared is that they are sooo big they look more like mammals then insects, I really wouldnt be able to kill one even if I was still scared.

Kala
I've never seen or heard of a huntsman in perth. Only those pesky little redbacks. Its the funnel webs in sydney and blue mountains etc u got to watch. those suckers can kill u. they creep into ur home and love to snooze in ur shoes overnight. so check ya footwear before u put them on.!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
D

P.S. What are Gekhos (will I be sorry I asked....??)
Geckos are really cute little lizards - we get loads on the outsides of the windows at night when the lights are on, they chase the moths.

And OK, I have counted - 3 Huntsman in Tas, 3 in Brisbane - thats during 6 holidays backpacking in Tas, and 17 months living here. And 2 of the 3 times we have had them in the house here, we had a big roach problem - they were looking for food. No roaches now = no spiders.

Don't panic.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
........ I was always taught to kill anything that didn't belong in the house, so that meant spiders, insects, anything..........
Cheers,
JTL
I have same approach as that here in the UK.....hence why our cat never comes in !...........

Can some cat lover tell me why it is "clean and ok" to have a cats nose that has been out smelling ours and our neighbours rubbish, wheelie bins, other cats "spray", other cats arses, dog poo, cat poo, you name it......walking around my kitchen and lounge ?.........without first cleaning it ?.......

I'd sooner have a house of Huntsmans than a cat !!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

thanks so much everyone - im so glad i started this thread. i seem to have lost the power of speech and my mouth feels dry. :scared: just looked in the mirror and ive gone very white all of a sudden.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Definately huntsman in Perth, seen a few so far but mostly in out of the way places...seen a number of red backs and loads of Black Window spiders.

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I've never seen or heard of a huntsman in perth. Only those pesky little redbacks. Its the funnel webs in sydney and blue mountains etc u got to watch. those suckers can kill u. they creep into ur home and love to snooze in ur shoes overnight. so check ya footwear before u put them on.!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:43 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, if its all the same to you, I'll still kill the redbacks, I don't care how 'dopey' or attractive you think they are

Redbacks

No thanks, if wasps deserve to die, then redbacks deserves to die 10 times over.

Cheers,
JTL
Never knew a redback could kill ya. Never heard of anyone dying from a redback bite here. The one place they love to nest in and will bite u if u rnt careful, is in ur letterbox. spray the insides of it regularly during warmer months.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. My heart is still racing from that photo of D D house visitor. I cannot wait to show it my husband when he gets home.

Just recalled once running a bath and then returning sometime later (wanted a really deep one!) was faced with a large spider between me and the taps, the bath was nearing the top........had to get my now 10 year old son (was only 5 then) to come and turn off the taps, cruel mother or what!

My Husband will not kill spiders, his trick is an empty video cover which he traps the spider in and releases outside, don't know what he will do if we get to OZ!!!! Use a suitcase????

Off on the school run now, hopefully the fresh air will ease the sickness, cannot believe the size of that spider, tell me that is an exception???

Nikki
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
P.S. What are Gekhos (will I be sorry I asked....??)

No you wont. Geckos are cute little lizardy things with buggy eyeballs that eat moths and stuff. They are good! Trust me. My M&D were over visiting and freaked out cos there was a gecko (or 'chit-chat' as they called it) in the bedroom.

Our response was, so what, it'll keep any bugs away. Our tea-time entertainment is watching the geckos on the window chasing and catching the moths. That might say something about Oz tv

Cheers,
JTL

Oh one poster did mention that they shit all over the house, but we never did figure out whether they meant the geckos or themselves

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 21st 2005 at 1:52 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Definately huntsman in Perth, seen a few so far but mostly in out of the way places...seen a number of red backs and loads of Black Window spiders.
The big worry in perth is snakes not spiders though. King Browns and that other one (I forget it's name). There's some number you can call to get them removed if you find them, they like to hide under beds too in summer.

Worst thing you can do is try to bash them or that: it just pisses them off and then they r likey to attack. Thats how heaps of people get bitten.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nikki
Thanks for the replies. My heart is still racing from that photo of D D house visitor. I cannot wait to show it my husband when he gets home.

Just recalled once running a bath and then returning sometime later (wanted a really deep one!) was faced with a large spider between me and the taps, the bath was nearing the top........had to get my now 10 year old son (was only 5 then) to come and turn off the taps, cruel mother or what!

My Husband will not kill spiders, his trick is an empty video cover which he traps the spider in and releases outside, don't know what he will do if we get to OZ!!!! Use a suitcase????

Off on the school run now, hopefully the fresh air will ease the sickness, cannot believe the size of that spider, tell me that is an exception???

Nikki

we need to make sure we live close to each other - that way we can share a litre of whiskey a day!!! im almost rigid with fear already and dont feel very well!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwichild
The big worry in perth is snakes not spiders though. King Browns and that other one (I forget it's name). There's some number you can call to get them removed if you find them, they like to hide under beds too in summer.

Worst thing you can do is try to bash them or that: it just pisses them off and then they r likey to attack. Thats how heaps of people get bitten.

oh super!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.