Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrant At Risk Of Unemployment Because Of Government Scheme??

View Poll Results: How have you chosen the area to which you are migrating?
Based on housing prices?
0%
Based on rental market?
0%
Based on transport links?
0%
Based on local services/ schools for you children? i.e libraries, parks, health centres
0%
Based around family already established?
0%
Based on potential employment within a region/ suburb?
0%
Based on employment potential within a state?
0%
You have been sponsored/ posted by a company/ job offer in the area?
0%
Based on the Labour Market/ Local Economics outlook for the area?
0%
Based on the climate?
0%
Based on the businesses/ culture available within the community? ie. retail, food and drink, leisure
0%
Based on business opportunities for you?
0%
Based on the eco-friendly, substainable living in the area?
0%
You discover land & no-one knows about it! U plan to make/build EVERYTHING from ceramic tiles?
0%
The kids buried you in sand and u have been there ever since- luckily you like it?
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Migrant At Risk Of Unemployment Because Of Government Scheme??

Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

stengee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrant At Risk Of Unemployment Because Of Government Scheme??

Is there anyone who is looking out for overseas skilled trades???
I am a wall and floor tiler...

I am not sure that I know exactly how each and every one of the government sites/ dept fits into the "Helping to meet Australia skill needs" - but I know that if you really want your country to benefit you would treat "skills in demand" trades from the UK with respect.

I have just had acceptance on my Skilled Migration Visa after applying for 3 years (!) - I am disappointed with the methods and regulations that are currently being operated. It is clear from external websites/ forums/ HIA/Master Builders/ Workplace.gov.au etc. etc. etc. the Government are carrying out research and outlooks within the Construction industry mainly ly with regard to Apprenticeships/ Qualifications and skilled occupations. They are not in the slightest bit in our favour.
It seems they are accepting more and more skilled migrant VISAs and letting people come to Oz to fill the shortage gap and then doing nothing but hinder them when they get there by basically making sure that YOUR people are being looked after first. People are giving up EVERYTHING to come! Australia is a long way from home and you are simply causing worry - that is unfair. THey do not seem to have any intention of putting any of us first and it is wrong - there is no help or guidance to assist in looking for jobs and not only do we have to pass the TRA, we then have to pass a similar thing AGAIN only months down the line! Plus, more references/ pictures etc.
SO when people are accepted from the UK, that means that they are in or they work a trial period. I have spent years running my own business and have to go back to scratch - for what?? To let an Australian get the better options? This is creating almost a divide with this and what happens when they qualify? In 1- 4 years, we could be gone!. The British Expat site is full of listings from people who are depressed and are worried they are never going to find work.

Someone, please explain this to me as I am concerned that I am too going to end up in the same situation.
I have planned on going to Queensland, yet there seems to be no need for Construction skill anymore (?), and would like a recommendation of what particular areas or suburbs I could most probably find something.I have also looked on job sites/ in papers and there are jobs there, but MANY many appreticeships. Is this where I will have to go in, as an apprentice?
Is there any way I can look in to setting up as a sole trader? Hopefully, an established trade will be reading this and perhaps you could advise of the best options?
I have researched into the Housing Industry/ Construction but to be honest they are all linked up with the Government and the new scheme. and that seems to make matters worse becasue when I look for up and coming projects or employment. I find requests for millions of apprentices and nothing to apply for.

Does anyone know the lowest areas for unemployment - i was sure it was Perth.
Could you let me knwo of any up and coming projects with any state or suburb?
DO the government propose to keep the UK residents or is there going to be some kind of "Regulation" that will change that too? What are they doing for use - maybe I have missed something?!

Thank you
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrant At Risk Of Unemployment Because Of Government Scheme??

Originally Posted by stengee

I am not sure that I know exactly how each and every one of the government sites/ dept fits into the "Helping to meet Australia skill needs" - but I know that if you really want your country to benefit you would treat "skills in demand" trades from the UK with respect.

I have just had acceptance on my Skilled Migration Visa after applying for 3 years (!) - I am disappointed with the methods and regulations that are currently being operated. It is clear from external websites/ forums/ HIA/Master Builders/ Workplace.gov.au etc. etc. etc. the Government are carrying out research and outlooks within the Construction industry mainly ly with regard to Apprenticeships/ Qualifications and skilled occupations. They are not in the slightest bit in our favour.
It seems they are accepting more and more skilled migrant VISAs and letting people come to Oz to fill the shortage gap and then doing nothing but hinder them when they get there by basically making sure that YOUR people are being looked after first. People are giving up EVERYTHING to come! Australia is a long way from home and you are simply causing worry - that is unfair. THey do not seem to have any intention of putting any of us first and it is wrong - there is no help or guidance to assist in looking for jobs and not only do we have to pass the TRA, we then have to pass a similar thing AGAIN only months down the line! Plus, more references/ pictures etc.
SO when people are accepted from the UK, that means that they are in or they work a trial period. I have spent years running my own business and have to go back to scratch - for what?? To let an Australian get the better options? This is creating almost a divide with this and what happens when they qualify? In 1- 4 years, we could be gone!. The British Expat site is full of listings from people who are depressed and are worried they are never going to find work.

Someone, please explain this to me as I am concerned that I am too going to end up in the same situation.
I have planned on going to Queensland, yet there seems to be no need for Construction skill anymore (?), and would like a recommendation of what particular areas or suburbs I could most probably find something.I have also looked on job sites/ in papers and there are jobs there, but MANY many appreticeships. Is this where I will have to go in, as an apprentice?
Is there any way I can look in to setting up as a sole trader? Hopefully, an established trade will be reading this and perhaps you could advise of the best options?
I have researched into the Housing Industry/ Construction but to be honest they are all linked up with the Government and the new scheme. and that seems to make matters worse becasue when I look for up and coming projects or employment. I find requests for millions of apprentices and nothing to apply for.

DO the government propose to keep the UK residents or is there going to be some kind of "Regulation" that will change that too? What are they doing for use - maybe I have missed something?!

Thank you
So from what you are saying here, I gather you think immigrants should get better jobs and services than the Australians just because they gave up everything to come here? Does the same hold true then for the immigrants who flock to UK? Should they get better jobs, housing, benefits because they gave up everything to go live there?
Get a grip on reality here. Nobody invited you to come to Australia. If you don't like how the regulations work here, then don't come.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:01 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We need migrants here. But I wouldnt have a British builder build my home, I wouldnt have a British sparky deal with my electrics etc. Why ? Because they wont know anything about the regulations, building for the climate etc.

I dont doubt the skills possessed but this is not the UK and things are different here. People who have skills which are relevent in the UK should be expected to retrain in local regs etc.

As to a system which fosters employment and career opportunity for its own citizens as opposed to migrants - well I hate to say it, sounds about right to me.

Nobody said migration is easy. For some trades and occupations its easier than others but you seriously cant expect to walk off a plane with no knowledge as to the local industry in a completely different country and just pick up where you left off.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

stengee is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you, I am fully aware that even with my trade wall & floor tiling there may be different methods and techniques used, I welcome it as I like nothing more than to learn new aspects of the job..

I wish this was built into the rules of relocation for skilled workers, I'd happily go to college to learn about the Australian tiling skills and gain an understanding of how your industry works. It would help me loads...

This should be developed, it should be the only way overseas trades are aloud to work in Australia and the only way you can get licenced.
Would be quicker and more efficient than current method..

steve
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

But you as a migrant can apply to TAFE for a recognised course for example. Then you would get recognition of prior learning and not be expected to pay for the units that you dont need to do and wouldnt actually learn anything by and also wouldnt have to pay for them either just the 1 off RPL fee. Also the time scale would be drastically shortened.

Alternatively you could speak to any professional body that you are a member of already and ask about equivilency in Australia and transfer of membership, again to get ahead of the same when here.

Then you would have a recognised Australian qualification or membership.

In a near infinate combinations of occupations and trades with a persons own business or careers plans, the government cant be expected, neither should they, hold everyones hand through each step. The burden of responsibility must lie with the individual surely.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:35 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stengee

Thank you
No need for construction in Queensland? In SE Queensland it seems to me that there is something being constructed every 20 feet. How did you come to that conclusion?

People on the ground here reckon that Brisbane will ultimately merge (roughly speaking) with both the Sunshine coast and Gold Coast. This is perhaps one of the slightly more exaggerated things I've been told but it is an indicator (to a lesser extent) of what is going on.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:45 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So from what you are saying here, I gather you think immigrants should get better jobs and services than the Australians just because they gave up everything to come here? Does the same hold true then for the immigrants who flock to UK? Should they get better jobs, housing, benefits because they gave up everything to go live there?
Get a grip on reality here. Nobody invited you to come to Australia. If you don't like how the regulations work here, then don't come.
Actually yes they did Dorothy!!

There are countless Aussie agencies, Government sponsored and otherwise, running seminars and exhibitions throughout the UK on a regular basis.......all extolling the virtues of working 'down-under' and inviting applications. Your dismissive, and ill informed, comments typify the kind of attitude that inexperienced migrants are often faced with. If you suffered that kind of treatment when you first moved over, then you should understand how unnecessarily hard it can be, not perpetuate it !! If you didn't, then lucky you. Give the guy a break, and credit, for taking notice of the countless posts describing the bad experiences and ruined futures of more than a few disillusioned souls. At least he's asking the questions before potentially risking his livelihood, and that of his family.

No migrant expects better jobs, housing or services than Australians. That's not what Steve even said. However, if he is better qualified and more experienced than than most Aussies, and has been told that his skills are in demand....why shouldn't he also expect to be told that he'll need to re-train and pay even more cash to be eligible to work.

I think Stengee has several valid points.

Migration is a lucrative business, and costs the migrants thousands of pounds. After being 'sold' the idea of a better lifestyle, and jumping through the many hoops to prove qualification, experience and suitability for the occupations that the country is so desperately 'short' of. Is it not then reasonable to expect that one would be able to find work in that profession, having spent years learning it in UK and then being accepted by the Aussie authorities as well?

Of course there would need to be some kind of 'conversion' period to acclimatise and learn the local conditions, but not ALL professions need that. When all said and done, IT (my profession) is IT wherever in the world you practice it, and I should think that floor tiling would be the same. The theory and techniques that you have been assessed on are all fundamentally practiced in the same way, whether you learned them in UK or Oz. I can understand that 'local' industrial regulations etc. will always need to be learned, that is all part of working in a foreign country, as is complying with their laws and customs. But no-one, officially responsible for the migration process, warns you of the additional red-tape, and subsequent expense, of being actually able to work in their relevant profession.... the 'Aussie way'.

To our detriment often, here in UK we work in the opposite way to Oz, in as much as any migrant, with the relevant visa & qualification, can get help to secure a job, regardless of their origin, and get assistance to live if they have problems. In my experience, no British migrant is looking for a hand-out, if they were that type they couldn't have made the criteria. But by the same token, surely having made the grade and been encouraged to re-locate 12000 miles with family in tow, the Government of the day could see their way clear to make the transition a smoother one, by offering some kind of 'official' guidance and support. After all, they were the one's declaring the need that instigated the process in the first place !!

It is a fact, for the majority, that you must prove your commitment to the Country by accepting menial jobs for at least a year, (if you can get one), and struggle to live on that paltry wage while you're doing it. (and before anyone doubts this, ask the chartered civil engineer who loaded my furniture when I moved back the first time !!) No wonder so many return after a short time.......... poverty and starvation tend to have that effect on most sensible people !! Surely after such a long and exhaustive application process, it is reasonable to expect to maintain a similar living standard doing a job that you were assessed for.

No-one takes the life-changing decision to migrate lightly, so why doesn't the Aussie Government wise-up and realise that the key to a successful transition is getting a decent job as quickly as possible. The benefits all-round are obvious:
  • Contribution to the economy in taxes and labour.
  • Faster reduction of the 'advertised' skills shortage.
  • Less feeling of isolation by the migrant, and successful integration.

If the jobs don't really exist, or are reserved for locals only, they shouldn't issue the visas. (No one is looking to take the bread out of the mouth of the Aussies, but it's their Government who is stating that they don't have the skills-base. Who's lying there?)

I honestly intend no offence to anyone in this, somewhat empassioned, post. But it is based on first-hand experience. I really do know how devastating it can be, both financially and emotionally, to make an uninformed decision. If more of the 'realities' were known the first time around then there would be many less casualties. Thankfully forums like this give you a fair reflection, mostly, of what you can expect. (It didn't exist when I first attempted migrating. ) It might have put me off a little, but at least I'd have gone in with my eyes wide open
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kernow1

There are countless Aussie agencies, Government sponsored and otherwise, running seminars and exhibitions throughout the UK on a regular basis.......all extolling the virtues of working 'down-under' and inviting applications. Your dismissive, and ill informed, comments typify the kind of attitude that inexperienced migrants are often faced with. If you suffered that kind of treatment when you first moved over, then you should understand how unnecessarily hard it can be, not perpetuate it !! If you didn't, then lucky you. Give the guy a break, and credit, for taking notice of the countless posts describing the bad experiences and ruined futures of more than a few disillusioned souls. At least he's asking the questions before potentially risking his livelihood, and that of his family.

No migrant expects better jobs, housing or services than Australians. That's not what Steve even said. However, if he is better qualified and more experienced than than most Aussies, and has been told that his skills are in demand....why shouldn't he also expect to be told that he'll need to re-train and pay even more cash to be eligible to work.

I think Stengee has several valid points.

Migration is a lucrative business, and costs the migrants thousands of pounds. After being 'sold' the idea of a better lifestyle, and jumping through the many hoops to prove qualification, experience and suitability for the occupations that the country is so desperately 'short' of. Is it not then reasonable to expect that one would be able to find work in that profession, having spent years learning it in UK and then being accepted by the Aussie authorities as well?

Of course there would need to be some kind of 'conversion' period to acclimatise and learn the local conditions, but not ALL professions need that. When all said and done, IT (my profession) is IT wherever in the world you practice it, and I should think that floor tiling would be the same. The theory and techniques that you have been assessed on are all fundamentally practiced in the same way, whether you learned them in UK or Oz. I can understand that 'local' industrial regulations etc. will always need to be learned, that is all part of working in a foreign country, as is complying with their laws and customs. But no-one, officially responsible for the migration process, warns you of the additional red-tape, and subsequent expense, of being actually able to work in their relevant profession.... the 'Aussie way'.

To our detriment often, here in UK we work in the opposite way to Oz, in as much as any migrant, with the relevant visa & qualification, can get help to secure a job, regardless of their origin, and get assistance to live if they have problems. In my experience, no British migrant is looking for a hand-out, if they were that type they couldn't have made the criteria. But by the same token, surely having made the grade and been encouraged to re-locate 12000 miles with family in tow, the Government of the day could see their way clear to make the transition a smoother one, by offering some kind of 'official' guidance and support. After all, they were the one's declaring the need that instigated the process in the first place !!

It is a fact, for the majority, that you must prove your commitment to the Country by accepting menial jobs for at least a year, (if you can get one), and struggle to live on that paltry wage while you're doing it. (and before anyone doubts this, ask the chartered civil engineer who loaded my furniture when I moved back the first time !!) No wonder so many return after a short time.......... poverty and starvation tend to have that effect on most sensible people !! Surely after such a long and exhaustive application process, it is reasonable to expect to maintain a similar living standard doing a job that you were assessed for.

No-one takes the life-changing decision to migrate lightly, so why doesn't the Aussie Government wise-up and realise that the key to a successful transition is getting a decent job as quickly as possible. The benefits all-round are obvious:
  • Contribution to the economy in taxes and labour.
  • Faster reduction of the 'advertised' skills shortage.
  • Less feeling of isolation by the migrant, and successful integration.

If the jobs don't really exist, or are reserved for locals only, they shouldn't issue the visas. (No one is looking to take the bread out of the mouth of the Aussies, but it's their Government who is stating that they don't have the skills-base. Who's lying there?)

I honestly intend no offence to anyone in this, somewhat empassioned, post. But it is based on first-hand experience. I really do know how devastating it can be, both financially and emotionally, to make an uninformed decision. If more of the 'realities' were known the first time around then there would be many less casualties. Thankfully forums like this give you a fair reflection, mostly, of what you can expect. (It didn't exist when I first attempted migrating. ) It might have put me off a little, but at least I'd have gone in with my eyes wide open
One of the most informed posts I've seen for long time and so eloquently put. No nastiness or name calling! Just well researched information and seeing the process through "clear coloured glasses" K on its way
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:10 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Actually yes they did Dorothy!!...
This subject has been done to death recently...

I think everyone agrees it's ludicrous to have this situation where you are assessed to see if you match the skill set requirement, only to find when you land that that process effectively counts for nothing and you need to retrain, etc...

I completely agree that it's outrageous that various trade shows, etc encourage people to emigrate without making it extremely clear what lies ahead when they arrive... and pointing out that this is in the small print somewhere is not good enough...

The only way it will change is if enough people make enough noise... Here's the chap to write to... Let's break out the pens and paper...

Kevin Andrews
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by rodders39
This subject has been done to death recently...

I think everyone agrees it's ludicrous to have this situation where you are assessed to see if you match the skill set requirement, only to find when you land that that process effectively counts for nothing and you need to retrain, etc...

I completely agree that it's outrageous that various trade shows, etc encourage people to emigrate without making it extremely clear what lies ahead when they arrive... and pointing out that this is in the small print somewhere is not good enough...

The only way it will change is if enough people make enough noise... Here's the chap to write to... Let's break out the pens and paper...

Kevin Andrews
I understand where you are coming from but I do disagree. You have to take personal responsibility for ensuring that your chosen profession is transportable to australia and take steps to achieve that either before you arrive or at least have an idea what you need to do.

Nobody is selling a lie. The "buyer" however may choose to see what they want to see when caught in the excitement of it all though.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:55 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I understand where you are coming from but I do disagree. You have to take personal responsibility for ensuring that your chosen profession is transportable to australia and take steps to achieve that either before you arrive or at least have an idea what you need to do.

Nobody is selling a lie. The "buyer" however may choose to see what they want to see when caught in the excitement of it all though.
We're going to have to agree to disagree...

If everything's as above board as you suggest then why isn't there a large disclaimer on all the documents at the roadshows, etc that states that you may very well have to retrain before you're allowed to practice your profession...? And explaining all that that entails... Perhaps no body is selling a lie but duplicitous would seem to fit...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 6:15 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt have a British sparky deal with my electrics etc. Why ? Because they wont know anything about the regulations, building for the climate etc..

first
fact - australia wiring regs are based on bs 7671
whats bs 7671 ?
the british wiring regs

so how come a british sparkie wouldnt know the regs

get your facts right first please

second if its to get you to the standard of an aussie sparkie
why do the standards required change dramatically from state to state??
SA a two week course and your in
QL eight month course
and i belive its harder still in victoria

thirdly the standard of work i have personally seen in the last five months varies from poor to bloody appalling
you need british sparkies to raise the appalling standard of work currently been done

regards steve
british sparkie and qualified electrical inspector studying for aussie wiring regs exam that is only held once a year
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There are countless Aussie agencies, Government sponsored and otherwise, running seminars and exhibitions throughout the UK on a regular basis.......all extolling the virtues of working 'down-under' and inviting applications. Your dismissive, and ill informed, comments typify the kind of attitude that inexperienced migrants are often faced with. If you suffered that kind of treatment when you first moved over, then you should understand how unnecessarily hard it can be, not perpetuate it !!

But did the immigration department personally invite you or any of us to apply? No. The migration fairs are businesses out to make money, just like the credit card companies. They invite you to apply, but if you do and it doesn't work out for you is that the fault of the person inviting or the person filling out the application? You and you alone decide whether or not to move to another country.

My comments are not ill informed. They are the comments of someone who has lived and struggled in Australia for 7 months. I understand that it is difficult, however I don't think it's the fault of anyone other than my spouse and I, who again decided we wanted to move. The government didn't conspire to keep my husband out of work for the past 7 months. It was our fault for choosing to migrate to the wrong state for his line of work. It also was not a government conspiracy to make sure he understood the Australian safety regulations were different than those of where we came from. Again our fault for not training before we got here.

I stand by my original statement. If you don't like how the country is run, then don't move here. It isn't going to change for me or the OP nor should it. This is Australia, not England with a suntan.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by steve`o
first
fact - australia wiring regs are based on bs 7671
whats bs 7671 ?
the british wiring regs
so how come a british sparkie wouldnt know the regs
get your facts right first please
second if its to get you to the standard of an aussie sparkie
why do the standards required change dramatically from state to state??
SA a two week course and your in
QL eight month course
and i belive its harder still in victoria
thirdly the standard of work i have personally seen in the last five months varies from poor to bloody appalling
you need british sparkies to raise the appalling standard of work currently been done
regards steve
british sparkie and qualified electrical inspector studying for aussie wiring regs exam that is only held once a year
Your quite right. I dont know jack about being an electrician. Nor brain surgery actually, nuclear fusion and the meaning of life amongst other things. But thats the point isnt it - i'd employ a sparky who does know.

My point was - given the choice between employing an australian sparky who has been trained and is familiar with the australian wiring codes and Bob the migrant stepped off the boat who has a lifestime of experience in the UK - which one would you honestly choose ?

Take this one step further lets imagine that Bob is a really good tradie, but our friend stepped off the plane with a nice Kazakstanian chap who bought his trade papers for 2 goats and a chicken. He should be allowed to just start trading as well ??
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Your quite right. I dont know jack about being an electrician. Nor brain surgery actually, nuclear fusion and the meaning of life amongst other things. But thats the point isnt it - i'd employ a sparky who does know.

My point was - given the choice between employing an australian sparky who has been trained and is familiar with the australian wiring codes and Bob the migrant stepped off the boat who has a lifestime of experience in the UK - which one would you honestly choose ?

Take this one step further lets imagine that Bob is a really good tradie, but our friend stepped off the plane with a nice Kazakstanian chap who bought his trade papers for 2 goats and a chicken. He should be allowed to just start trading as well ??
Sorry ,you got it wrong but the paperwork for a tradeperson to even come to australia and take up his/her trade is amazing, it's not like being an office worker or whatever.
Electricity is electrcity where ever you are,the only changes are the minor things that different places do as standard.The rule and regs will be about the same, only be called by other names.
All the state are using there own systems of licencing,what you can do in one place to get aa licence you can't in another,WA you get a licence by doing 2 exams no course ,QLD it takes a year to get to the same place.No wonder people give up or change their career!
John
PS walk a mile in someone elses shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.