Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrant fares with Qantas

Migrant fares with Qantas

Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Matlissa has a spectacular aura aboutMatlissa has a spectacular aura aboutMatlissa has a spectacular aura about
Default Migrant fares with Qantas

Hi everyone I thought I would share some information that I received today from Qantas regarding Migrant fares.

I have been informed that special fares can be obtained if you call your nearest Qantas office. They also offer up to 40kilos baggage per person, which is great considering Cathay Pacific only offered me normal 23kilos!

Please see the link below.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/migrant/gb/en

Matlissa
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

zakuro has a brilliant futurezakuro has a brilliant futurezakuro has a brilliant futurezakuro has a brilliant futurezakuro has a brilliant futurezakuro has a brilliant future
Default Re: Migrant fares with Qantas

Originally Posted by Matlissa View Post
Hi everyone I thought I would share some information that I received today from Qantas regarding Migrant fares.

I have been informed that special fares can be obtained if you call your nearest Qantas office. They also offer up to 40kilos baggage per person, which is great considering Cathay Pacific only offered me normal 23kilos!

Please see the link below.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/migrant/gb/en

Matlissa
Thank you so much for the info!!! If going to connect from Sydney to Wagga Wagga and have to stay in Sydney for a few days (to finish registration etc.), would the allowed baggage weight still be the same?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Matlissa has a spectacular aura aboutMatlissa has a spectacular aura aboutMatlissa has a spectacular aura about

Hi Zakuro! Thats alright - happy to help!

I don't know about connecting flights - dont want to give you the wrong info.
It would be best to give Qantas a call I think. The numbers are:

UK (based in London): 0845 7 747 767 or 0208 600 4300
Ireland: 00 353 1 407 3278
The Australian number is: 13 13 13.

Hope this helps!!!!

Matlissa
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

When I have looked at this before - the Qantas migrant fare is basically the same as the same as the cheapest available economy fare + the excess baggage charges you would've paid anyway!

Fairly certain Singapore or Emirates with Moving Planet code or BA paying £32 extra to get 46kg would be cheaper.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of Melbourne, now a much warmer resident of Brisbane
Qantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zakuro View Post
Thank you so much for the info!!! If going to connect from Sydney to Wagga Wagga and have to stay in Sydney for a few days (to finish registration etc.), would the allowed baggage weight still be the same?
You need to check whether this fare allows stopovers. Some do, others don't and the SYD-WGA sector might be constructed using a different fare as an add-on. If all flights are part of the same fare basis, the weight allowance ought to be the same - as presumably you'd paid a premium for that particular fare basis for the extra luggage allowance.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

comet10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Matlissa View Post
Hi Zakuro! Thats alright - happy to help!

I don't know about connecting flights - dont want to give you the wrong info.
It would be best to give Qantas a call I think. The numbers are:

UK (based in London): 0845 7 747 767 or 0208 600 4300
Ireland: 00 353 1 407 3278
The Australian number is: 13 13 13.

Hope this helps!!!!

Matlissa

Thanks so much for the info, ive been hunting on the Qantas webpage for the info! Rang the airline tonight and they said i can carry 40kg and gave me a competitive quote!!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

robjcamb has a spectacular aura aboutrobjcamb has a spectacular aura aboutrobjcamb has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by comet10 View Post
Thanks so much for the info, ive been hunting on the Qantas webpage for the info! Rang the airline tonight and they said i can carry 40kg and gave me a competitive quote!!
I booked my ticket through British Airways (LHR-SYD via SIN) (they give me a 2 bag allowance anyway as I've sold my soul to them over the past 2 years), but on a QF flight. Found out the baggage allowance didn't follow to a codeshare flight.

I called Qantas and asked about adding the baggage allowance for a migrant visa, but they advised they could only do this on a 1 way ticket (I'd bought a return as a return in a years time to visit family seemed better value). She did offer to sell me baggage at AUD$50/kilo , or sell me another ticket with the migrant allowance. What a great offer; sadly I had to reject it.

I swallowed my pride and coughed up the fee to move the flight back to BA with the higher allowance. Note this would have been a better option anyway without the BA freebie as the BA charge for an extra 23kg bag is 40GBP as apposed to $50/kg ($1150 for a 23kg bag!)

Moral of the story, check before you book!
Old May 7th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
When I have looked at this before - the Qantas migrant fare is basically the same as the same as the cheapest available economy fare + the excess baggage charges you would've paid anyway!

Fairly certain Singapore or Emirates with Moving Planet code or BA paying £32 extra to get 46kg would be cheaper.
Do you know the latest moving planet code for Emirates?
Old May 8th 2010, 12:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nbn8 View Post
Do you know the latest moving planet code for Emirates?
As far as I know it's always been 'UKMOVE1'.

Details on how to ensure you get the extra baggage allowance here:

http://www.emirates.com/english/ibe/...allowance.aspx