Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Migrant expats priced out of property market"

"Migrant expats priced out of property market"

Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Migrant expats priced out of property market"

Originally Posted by king kong
and borrowed another 90000 for furniture and got the deposit off the olds . 90000 for furniture ,jesus
That's f**king nuts! I bought a 2nd hand dining table with 6 chairs for GBP50 for my first home. We still use it to this day although it is due a replacement.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've made this comment before, but surely property prices must have a big effect on the make-up of society.

I mean, for example, you could be a high income earner like a doctor, lawyer etc earning $150K (and no bravado please - this is still a high income) and yet they are only able to afford a home in a shitty area, rather than a leafy suburb of which their predecessors were probably used to.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I think I've made this comment before, but surely property prices must have a big effect on the make-up of society.

I mean, for example, you could be a high income earner like a doctor, lawyer etc earning $150K (and no bravado please - this is still a high income) and yet they are only able to afford a home in a shitty area, rather than a leafy suburb of which their predecessors were probably used to.
You could be correct... Plenty of Doctors residences in Coburg and Preston. I was actually quite surprised at the amount of mail that goes through our hands to their home addresses in these areas.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's f**king nuts! I bought a 2nd hand dining table with 6 chairs for GBP50 for my first home. We still use it to this day although it is due a replacement.

what a waste of $90K - and its only going to lose value as time goes by
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:33 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsridge
Unless it was made out of gold.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:38 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It's might not necessarily be because that's all they can afford.

Our family is in that income bracket you mentioned and yet we still bought in the cheapest subdivision in our area. Could we have afforded to get a house with twice the mortgage in a nicer area closer to the ocean? Yes, we could have easily done that. But we chose to buy in a cheaper area so that we could get the same house for less money and have more disposible income and pay off our house sooner.

So... you can't always judge a family's situation based on where they live. I know families that make half what we do and yet live in a nicer area, have nicer houses (and bigger mortgage) and send kids to private school. Most of them are just barely earning more than their lifestyle requires.

However... I know what you're getting at. In the big cities I'm certain it's common for the typical high income earners to be priced out of the nicer areas and be forced outwards. Not normally what you would expect if it weren't for the high cost of housing.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsridge
So what would be a reasonable amount to furnish a 4 bedroom McMansion with 2-3 lounges, a dining area, an outdoor dining area, a study, 4 bedrooms, home theatre, rumpus, bathrooms etc. And not using Fantastic Furniture, but stuff of a reasonable quality that would last.

And you'd probably have to include appliances like TVs, BBQs, American Fridge/Freezer, Home Theatre etc
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So what would be a reasonable amount to furnish a 4 bedroom McMansion with 2-3 lounges, a dining area, an outdoor dining area, a study, 4 bedrooms, home theatre, rumpus, bathrooms etc. And not using Fantastic Furniture, but stuff of a reasonable quality that would last.

And you'd probably have to include appliances like TVs, BBQs, American Fridge/Freezer, Home Theatre etc
My take on this is that you don't need it all, at the beginning. You accumulate stuff as you go along. Borrowing $90k to furnish a house in one hit is being a f**kwit.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

My take on this is that you don't need it all, at the beginning. You accumulate stuff as you go along. Borrowing $90k to furnish a house in one hit is being a f**kwit.
Surely it's 'living the dream'?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Surely it's 'living the dream'?
But a 'nightmare' to pay back!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We furnished our 4 bed, 2 bath house for about $15-20k. Completley from scratch as we arrived with just our clothes.

I can see how someone could spend that much if they bought all top of the line items. There's just no reason for it though when you could do it for a quarter of that and still have nice stuff.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:54 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

that right a mcmansion would swallow 90000 like a bogan swallows a qtr pounder.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:07 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
that right a mcmansion would swallow 90000 like a bogan swallows a qtr pounder.
Angus now isn't it? Just that little bit fancy. 3 pounder
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:07 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

But a 'nightmare' to pay back!
Isnt that the dream

From Elmstreet
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:30 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Isnt that the dream

From Elmstreet
lol , its the dream everywhere now .Get now at all cost .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.