Reload this Page >

Migrant baggage allowance

Migrant baggage allowance

Old Aug 8th 2003, 9:10 am
Just Joined

HAPPYHANDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrant baggage allowance

Hi

Because of an administrative bungle we have to validate our visas before Jan 24th, yet plan to go out there end of May 04.

After reading the threads here, am I right in thinking that if you validate the visa you lose your entitlement to baggage allowance?

That is so unfair if that's the case!

We don't have much to take over, is it worth using a shipping company or just posting it over ourselves by sea mail?

happyhands
Old Aug 8th 2003, 9:18 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Migrant baggage allowance

Hi

the migrant baggage allowance only applies to certain airlines (Qantas and Malaysian I think) but the migrant one way tickets are more expensive becuase of this extra baggage allowance.

If you fly via the USA (with Air New Zealand, for example) you get 2 x 32kg baggage allowance for each person travelling. This is as standard, not a special offer for migrants, so it doesn't matter if you have already validated your visas. If you don't have much to take this could be a better option for you.

Good luck

Mel
Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:24 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by mika24me

the migrant baggage allowance only applies to certain airlines (Qantas and Malaysian I think) but the migrant one way tickets are more expensive becuase of this extra baggage allowance.

Mel
Malaysia don't do double-try Qantas and Singapore
Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:29 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by baldbutts
Malaysia don't do double-try Qantas and Singapore
oops, sorry. I really should research before I post...

Mel
Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:41 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by mika24me
oops, sorry. I really should research before I post...

Mel
Yes you should-I always do
That's how I've become not just the most respected,knowledgeable person on this forum,but also with the Prime Minister here,Howard Jones

BB-I know everything-me
Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:43 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by HAPPYHANDS
After reading the threads here, am I right in thinking that if you validate the visa you lose your entitlement to baggage allowance?
In theory yes.

Here's my experience...
I showed up at Heathrow with 43kg of baggage (plus carry ons). I put the cases on the scale and handed over my Singapore Airlines ticket and passport. The lady there said (without checking anything), you're only allowed 20kg. I replied "I'm emigrating". She said "Ok that's fine". No checks made, not even a look to see if I had a PR visa.

Now, I'd hate to see you get stung for extra weight, my flight was in mid-May during the SARS outbreak. The plane was perhaps 2/3rds full.

As they say, your mileage may vary. If others can confirm that some airlines are happy to take your word for it, then I'd just give it a try.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

We have booked flights with emirates and if you have a one way ticket and tell them you are immigrating they give you 40kg allowance and free golf club carriage
Old Aug 8th 2003, 12:12 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Singapore give double (thats 40kg), but ONLY on unvalidated visas.

Guess its so people can take double out twice (once on validation run and again when they actually migrate).