Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migraine Treatment in OZ

Migraine Treatment in OZ

Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Migraine Treatment in OZ

A few weeks ago had the mother of all Migraines used to get them years ago but stopped however the have started again. Been to GP who prescribed paracetamol and codeine still hadn't gone 2 days later so she gave me Maxalon! I know both can be useful in there own way but anyone been given any more MODERN medication. I get an unusual type which means not only do I get the awful headache, no visual disturbances but get slight altered sensation down right side and my speech is a little laboured. Had CT scan about 7 years ago when they started and all ok just this type of migraine. But think due to the stress of moving over and finding it difficult to settle they have staarted again:curse: so any advice most welcome
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migraine Treatment in OZ

Originally Posted by tillysmum
A few weeks ago had the mother of all Migraines used to get them years ago but stopped however the have started again. Been to GP who prescribed paracetamol and codeine still hadn't gone 2 days later so she gave me Maxalon! I know both can be useful in there own way but anyone been given any more MODERN medication. I get an unusual type which means not only do I get the awful headache, no visual disturbances but get slight altered sensation down right side and my speech is a little laboured. Had CT scan about 7 years ago when they started and all ok just this type of migraine. But think due to the stress of moving over and finding it difficult to settle they have staarted again:curse: so any advice most welcome
This is Qld remember, Maxalon probably is modern for here. I get migraine occasionally, but not for long enough to make it worth seeing a doctor. Couple of women at work have mentioned to me Maxlon is the latest thing......!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The best meds I've found is Pink Migraleve. I tried everything but nothing helped...then my doctor in the UK prescribed Migraleve. It is now available over the counter in the UK. I have since tried the more modern treatments but they've not helped me.

Strangely enough I can't get Migraleve in the US but it is made just a few miles from where I live.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

yep not seen migraleve here, though went to pharmacy yesterday and asked for migraine stuff and she recommended Ibruprofen, not a migraleve in sight might search the internet for them.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:53 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

I used to get really bad migraines and consistently too, at least one or two a week. I would go through a pack of 24 headache tablets a week easily. I tried lots of various tablets including the pink ones and nothing seemed to work.

The doctor after several attempts suggested sandomigran which I have been taking for about four years and take this every night before bed, as they can make you drowsy.

Now I get the odd migraine attack, about two or three times a year, so I think the key is to keep trying with your doctor until you find something that suits you.

Migraines are the worst and I'm glad I am now only an occasional sufferer.

I hope it works out for you but keep trying.

Debbie
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My migraines have near as damn it gone since I've lived here. I'm under less stress although I wasn't aware I got stressed in the UK but I was tested for everything under the sun and it's the only thing that made sense. Anyway I tried every drug known to man and a couple would work for a period of time but then I would get the worse reactions so would have to change.

The only thing that has worked for the past 5 or 6 years is a low dose of Amitriptyline (10-20mg) a night. Downside? they are an antidepressant and therefore have side effects. However I've not suffered the side effects at all and I've not had one of 'my' migraines in most of that time. I used to lose 4 days every couple of months, now I still get headaches but not had a 4 day one or even a 2 day one in years.

I was also on a med in the UK that you can't get here (Rizatriptan) which was a tablet that melted on the tongue - can't take tablets or suppositories when I have a migraine as I just spend hours vomiting whilst sitting on the loo. They are brilliant. I am visiting my old GP when I go visit in July to get some more to be on the safe side.

Only thing I can suggest is going to the doctor and asking about Amitriptyline. Whilst taking an antidepressant is not ideal, a very low dose every night could just solve the problem for you.

Not aware of anything modern and brilliant and I do try and keep up with medical info on migraines.

Good luck.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:05 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

All the triptans are available on prescription here in Oz. I take Zomig (zolmitriptan).

The generic name of a particular triptan will be the same. But the name on the box may be different to the one you are used to from the UK/US.

For example, Rizatriptan is called "Maxalt" in Oz.

Maxolon on the other hand is an anti-nausea medication. It is not specifically for migraines. A common side effect of migraine is gastric stasis. This means anything who take orally -whether food or tablets - will just sit in your stomach and not be digested. Your GP may have prescribed Maxolon to stop the nausea and allow the other medication to work.

I would suggest to go back to your GB and ask to try one of the triptans: naratriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, rizatriptan. There are two other triptans but I've forgotten their names.

You may find that one triptan doesn't work for you but another one does.

You may also have to argue your case with your GP. Under the official PBS guidelines, triptans are only prescribed in Oz when all else has failed, which is ridiculous.

But of your GP doesn't want to play ball, you can go to another one.

I came with a year's supply of Zomig so thankfully haven't yet had to do battle with an Oz GP.

Good luck!

Gina
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

According to my doctor, you definitely can't get Maxalt Melts here. I don't know if you can get the normal tablets because I can't take them so they are irrelevant to me.

Be careful with Sumatriptan. Hopefully you would be fine but I had appalling side effects with that.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GinaUK
All the triptans are available on prescription here in Oz. I take Zomig (zolmitriptan).

The generic name of a particular triptan will be the same. But the name on the box may be different to the one you are used to from the UK/US.

For example, Rizatriptan is called "Maxalt" in Oz.

Maxolon on the other hand is an anti-nausea medication. It is not specifically for migraines. A common side effect of migraine is gastric stasis. This means anything who take orally -whether food or tablets - will just sit in your stomach and not be digested. Your GP may have prescribed Maxolon to stop the nausea and allow the other medication to work.

I would suggest to go back to your GB and ask to try one of the triptans: naratriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, rizatriptan. There are two other triptans but I've forgotten their names.

You may find that one triptan doesn't work for you but another one does.

You may also have to argue your case with your GP. Under the official PBS guidelines, triptans are only prescribed in Oz when all else has failed, which is ridiculous.

But of your GP doesn't want to play ball, you can go to another one.

I came with a year's supply of Zomig so thankfully haven't yet had to do battle with an Oz GP.

Good luck!

Gina
My GP didn't raise any issues with prescribing me Zomig in NSW - just checked my notes and took my blood pressure. I had my UK medical records that showed I had been prescribed it there. It costs me more though as my UK GP used to prescribe me quite a lot in one go which would last me a couple of years; here I get given a number of separate repeat prescriptions for 4 pills each.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:21 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Can you get Sindol in Oz? Works gr8 on migraines but 2 tabs & your knocked out!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

hi,
although im back in the uk now but waiting to head back to oz i thought id join this thread,moneypen_when i was in banora i was with a gp in banora village and he prescribed me zomig on a private prescription which has similar ingredients to maxalt melt , i have taken both of these at different times and they both work brilliantly,
i cannot digest anything while im having those horrible migraine attacks,so i take the zomig or maxalt melt,hope this helps when you next go and see your gp,x
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

Hi all,
I used to suffer really bad with migraine, at lest 1 a month for years and years. Tried every medication but nothing worked. Id be physically sick from the migraine they where that bad I’d lock myself in a darkened room for one, two, even three days. I went to see a hypnotist about three years ago and I can count on one hand the amount of migraines I’ve had since the visit, even the ones I’ve had since have been very mild. I’m very sceptical of all thing like that but all I can say is it has worked, don’t know how or why but it has. Hope this helps someone
Lee
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get melatonin in Aus? Its had incredible results for a variety of type of migraine, particularly hormone linked migraines. I went from having several a month to pretty much none after a couple of months - I think the last one was 6-8 months ago now. They still threaten, but a basic headache pill does the job now as long as I take it as soon as I feel it coming on. No more blind spots, purple flashy triangles or burying myself in the bedroom for 2 days Mind you, the triangles were pretty
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Can you get Sindol in Oz? Works gr8 on migraines but 2 tabs & your knocked out!
Doesn't knock me out at all! Fantastic for stress headaches that stuff!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by mrs i
hi,
although im back in the uk now but waiting to head back to oz i thought id join this thread,moneypen_when i was in banora i was with a gp in banora village and he prescribed me zomig on a private prescription which has similar ingredients to maxalt melt , i have taken both of these at different times and they both work brilliantly,
i cannot digest anything while im having those horrible migraine attacks,so i take the zomig or maxalt melt,hope this helps when you next go and see your gp,x
Thanks hon. I'll ask next time I go. Hear you're heading back down under again. Hope Perth ticks your boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.