Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might as well string me up now...

Might as well string me up now...

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Might as well string me up now...

I occasionally visit this site in the hope that I will get some useful information. Sometimes I do, but the majority of the time I simply log off because this has to be one of the most depressing and whingey discussion forums I have ever been on.

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging Poms!!!

Don't get me wrong I am no "Australia is Eutopia where I am guarenteed happiness" believer. I have realistic views on the benefits and negatives (and there are many) of Australia. However I also have realistic views on the benefits and negative of the UK and I have therefore made a reasoned judgement that I would prefer to live in Australia and raise my family there.

I am not going to go down the route of praising OZ or slagging of the UK, because there is good and bad in both. Each one of us should make our own decision based on our on indivdual situations. For people to say that OZ is horrible and that you must be mad to go is ludicrous. Yes, you may not have got on in OZ, but that certainly does not mean that others who make the move wont either! I think that when making a move of this sort it is essential to stay positive about the benefits of Australia, whilst recognising the weaknesses, but if you logged onto this forum everyday and listened to all the negativity it is likely you would be stringing yourself up by a length of rope before even boarding the plane.

It would interest me to see a reverse instance of the website, whereby most people were going through the process of emigrating the UK (or getting on the channel tunnel as it is otherwise known). I think the number of people who had tried it and realised just what a poor state the UK is in would far outweigh the number who have returned from OZ.

These are just some of my thoughts

Dave
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might as well string me up now...

Originally posted by darkless
For people to say that OZ is horrible and that you must be mad to go is ludicrous. Yes, you may not have got on in OZ, but that certainly does not mean that others who make the move wont either!

Dave
So, where are ALL these people whinging about Oz????
Yes, there's Mike Stanton, and kong who posts occasionally.... who else???

Most people on here aren't even there yet.
Then there's a small % who are happy there, and post occasionally.
And few who post more often.

Yes, there's some 'whinging', but not many.
And if they are, I think it's logical. There's always something that's 'different', and you can't talk about it with Aussie friends, and not with family/friends back home(cos they wouldn't understand), so this is a good place for it, I reckon!

Nobody NEEDS to talk about the stuff they are happy with, they can talk about that with other people, so what's left is other stuff, which is why it stands out more on here.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I occasionally visit this site in the hope that I will get some useful information. Sometimes I do, but the majority of the time I simply log off because this has to be one of the most depressing and whingey discussion forums I have ever been on.

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging Poms!!!......
Whinging about the whingers eh?

(...and no, I'm not a whinger whinging about the fella who thinks there's too much whinging - I'm just 'observing')
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by young_lad

(...and no, I'm not a whinger whinging about the fella who thinks there's too much whinging - I'm just 'observing')

haha - ok, ok, yeah I guess i was whinging about whingers!!! See look what this forum has done to me
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

haha - ok, ok, yeah I guess i was whinging about whingers!!! See look what this forum has done to me
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Now and again I'll use the dictionary.com website to check on a few spellings; more often than not, the word I looked up turns out to be derived from a foreign language.

I put in 'whinger' and apparently it's 'Dialectal alteration of Middle English'.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Dave, I took the thread off on a tangent somewhat there.

But yes, of course you're right, one size doesn't fit all.

The important thing though is being able to recognise that there are downsides, as this will make expectations more realistic.

Having realistic expectations is important if living the reality is to match up to the dream.

And for some the downsides will be different.

Cut through the crap, and the warts-n-all view helps.

(I was lucky, I was going through the application process when PommieBastard was at the peak of his powers...... rose-tinted specs well and truly off thanks to him.)

Last edited by young_lad; Jun 3rd 2004 at 10:19 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,

The only conclusion I could come to after reading your post is that you obviously have not 'visited' the forum enough!

As was just said, most people on here are still in process of trying to get to OZ, which, of course creates some 'down' posts because of the frustrating long wait for visas to be granted, but generally this forum is a brilliant place for any type of information you are looking for regarding emigrating to OZ, hubby and me have learnt so much since being part of it.

Any question we have asked has been answered giving us some really useful information helping us to get a better idea of all aspects of the emigration process - for which we are truly grateful.

It has been great reading some of the posts from people who have just arrived in OZ and share that experience with us here, where else would you get that sort of info?

I will shut up now - but please read more of the positive posts, there are a lot.

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Dave, I took the thread off on a tangent somewhat there.
Perhaps I was being a tad over sensitive today. It just seems that everyone is an expert on exchange rate, interest rates, house prices etc. Yet it was only a couple of weeks ago everyone was convinced the dollar was on a slide down towards the $2.20 mark, but now look at it!

Yeah PB was a pain the backside - he had some very valid points, but boy didnt he just love saying them over and over and over again. He was in essence a prime example of the point i was trying to make. He didn't get on in OZ - fine, I am interested to hear why, evaluate his situation to mine and then move forward slightly more knowledgeable. However PB didnt seem to accept that and insisted that OZ was awful for everyone etc. He did the right thing, he came home and hopefully he is happeir now.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bix da Boss
Dave,

The only conclusion I could come to after reading your post is that you obviously have not 'visited' the forum enough!
Hi,

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps the times I have logged on, i have been unfortunate to catch one of the OZ-haters rants.

I don't question that there are a lot of people able to provide useful advice. During my application process i used the misc.immigration.australia+nz newsgroup a lot and found lots of useful information on it.

I am beinging to wonder whether I am just having one of those days and vented frustration by way of post!!

Anyway, back to the positives - Perth bound in January. Validated my Visa in April and sorted a school for my stepson. Had a good look around the northern suberbs and bought a house which settles on Tuesday. Met some nice people. Aussies were so friendly!

Dave
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyway, back to the positives - Perth bound in January. .. .
No wonder PB p****d you off!

Good luck with the house!
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to go down the route of praising OZ or slagging of the UK, because there is good and bad in both.

It would interest me to see a reverse instance of the website, whereby most people were going through the process of emigrating the UK (or getting on the channel tunnel as it is otherwise known). I think the number of people who had tried it and realised just what a poor state the UK is in would far outweigh the number who have returned from OZ.

These are just some of my thoughts

Dave
Dave
You say you don't want to slag off the UK so why add this statement at the end of your post?

You are doing exactly what you complain about.

Just an observation

G
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Grayling
Dave
You say you don't want to slag off the UK so why add this statement at the end of your post?

You are doing exactly what you complain about.

Just an observation

G

I guess i had contained myself well up until that point...

Boy am I beginning to regret starting this thread now!!
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:18 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

You'll learn son, you'll learn

D D
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No worries

Just a discussion

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.