Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This might sound silly

This might sound silly

Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:28 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default This might sound silly

Hi,

this might sound silly but do you reckon that you can explain to three year olds that they are emigrating - mine really think that we are going to the seaside but by plane oh and that we are going to find nemo

seriously would you bother trying to explain it all to them , or are they really just going to be baffled by it - you know you can get so much stuff on how to tell kids this and that but there is nothing on how to explain emigrating - so anyone got any ideas or tales on how their small kids handled the whole thing

Do you think that so long as mum and dad are there with them they will not question it

Ta diddy
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:36 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This might sound silly

Originally posted by diddy
Hi,

this might sound silly but do you reckon that you can explain to three year olds that they are emigrating -

Ta diddy

Not entrirely sure that my 3 (nearly 4) yr old realises yet that Australia and England are different places and she's been here 18 months. I wouldn't try too hard...
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:40 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by diddy
Hi,

this might sound silly but do you reckon that you can explain to three year olds that they are emigrating - mine really think that we are going to the seaside but by plane oh and that we are going to find nemo

seriously would you bother trying to explain it all to them , or are they really just going to be baffled by it - you know you can get so much stuff on how to tell kids this and that but there is nothing on how to explain emigrating - so anyone got any ideas or tales on how their small kids handled the whole thing

Do you think that so long as mum and dad are there with them they will not question it

Ta diddy
What do you remember about you life when you were 3? I dont remember much at all.
If anyting get some kids picture books from the library about australia,with animals etc and try them on that they might notice a difference. but to be honest I dont think it wil be necessary.

Kala
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:47 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how quickly they adapt. Ask my 3 yr old to name an animal and you get Kangaroo, Wallaby, Possum and even Platypus and Echidna long before any mention of horses, cows or sheep...
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Not entrirely sure that my 3 (nearly 4) yr old realises yet that Australia and England are different places and she's been here 18 months. I wouldn't try too hard...
Agree with jayr here too, our boys are only just starting to comprehend the difference between the Uk & Aus in terms of distance & time & seasons etc - the its winter here, but summer in the UK, night time here, so the sun has gone to the other side of the world & its daytime in UK sort of thing. And they are 6.

At 3 when we were last in the UK they certainly didnt grasp the idea apart from that it was a long plane journey.