Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might be shooting meself in the foot here, but here goes.......

Might be shooting meself in the foot here, but here goes.......

Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice
Default Might be shooting meself in the foot here, but here goes.......

Scenario.

Bring money over (say $500K).

Rent property. Buy 2 smaller rental properties with small mortgages.

Do you still get rental assistance? Are there any tax breaks you get? Would it be worth it? (rental income would cover mortgage - should we buy higher value property so we are in debt and costs not covered?)

Just a thought.

Would really appreciate any advice as our dream home is £100K beyond our reach and we are damn sure we are gonna get it one day........

Thanks

Carol

Last edited by cartel; Sep 5th 2007 at 10:44 am. Reason: can't get pounds out of me head!!!!!!! LOL
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:01 am
Just Joined

lindy_thom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Might be shooting meself in the foot here, but here goes.......

Hi Carol,

Its nice to see people actually trying to make business with property out there!

I did a little property investing over here in the UK and there are a few things you need to take into consideration!

1. Look at the growth in the property market what kind of rate are the house values growing at? Take a look at the commonwealth Bank website they should have a report covering this!

2. What kind of mortgage are you going to apply for if you are looking to buy a property with the intention to rent? Buy to let for example

3. Capital gains tax!!! if you are looking to rent out a property for yourself but still buy 2 properties you could face a hefty taxation on the capital you gain on one or the other! You may be better off in this situation rent one for yourself and buying just one house that is slightly more expensive (meaning you may not have to get a mortgage) and letting that ride on the market! Then when you do come to sell the whole profit is yours!

the best thing to remember is to never start running before you can walk take things one step at a time and go from there!!

Good uck with this anyway- let me know how you get on!!

Linda x
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cartel
Scenario.

Bring money over (say $500K).

Rent property. Buy 2 smaller rental properties with small mortgages.

Do you still get rental assistance? Are there any tax breaks you get? Would it be worth it? (rental income would cover mortgage - should we buy higher value property so we are in debt and costs not covered?)

Just a thought.

Would really appreciate any advice as our dream home is £100K beyond our reach and we are damn sure we are gonna get it one day........

Thanks

Carol
You are bringing over $500k, but want rental assistance???
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:12 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not if they are investing their own money into a business venture as such?

Oh I don't know if I think it is right or not to get assistance?! LOL!

Em x
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

I've paid my due's in the UK all my life. If they are gonna give it to me, I'll take it.

Partly why I left the UK. They were giving it out to all and sundry apart from those who had worked very hard all their lives.

Notice no swears words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

(I did very well I think and will pat myself on the back!)
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:29 am
Just Joined

lindy_thom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cartel
I've paid my due's in the UK all my life. If they are gonna give it to me, I'll take it.

Partly why I left the UK. They were giving it out to all and sundry apart from those who had worked very hard all their lives.

Notice no swears words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

(I did very well I think and will pat myself on the back!)
Good luck to you girl!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cartel;5276030]I've paid my due's in the UK all my life. If they are gonna give it to me, I'll take it.
QUOTE]

Absolutely! Why not!?!

Good luck with it all!

Em x
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
My take on this is 'if you can't beat them join them'

If you are entitled to any help available then why not take it

Standing the moral highground gets you nowhere - the UK is testimony to this with all the eastern europeans getting free cars, mobile contracts etc - whilst WE pay the taxes...

I sometimes go to the gym in the daytime and in the 'free weights' section there are always between 8 - 10 immigrants speaking in their own language (bosnian etc)..makes my f***** blood boil, especially when i had a word with one of the instructors and he told me they get FREE :curse:membership (and obviously don't work).

They are taking the p*** out of this country and our government lets them...

Time to get out of here methinks

Sams OH (just back from the gym and feeling :curse

Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sammyg

Standing the moral highground gets you nowhere - the UK is testimony to this with all the eastern europeans getting free cars, mobile contracts etc - whilst WE pay the taxes...

I sometimes go to the gym in the daytime and in the 'free weights' section there are always between 8 - 10 immigrants speaking in their own language (bosnian etc)..makes my f***** blood boil, especially when i had a word with one of the instructors and he told me they get FREE :curse:membership (and obviously don't work).

Similar thinking here. Paid our dues all our lives - just trying to get on as best as we can.

Carol
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:01 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

They will take it back in tax sometime in the future anyway.

Don't forget the first time home owners grants as well

Originally Posted by emelems
Absolutely! Why not!?!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes go to the gym in the daytime and in the 'free weights' section there are always between 8 - 10 immigrants speaking in their own language (bosnian etc)..makes my f***** blood boil,
....seriously, are you for real or is this post a wind-up?

You do realise when you move to Aus (and become an immigrant) you wont be able to get the Daily Mail everyday?

I was in the bank yesterday and the Taiwanese teller was speaking to a Taiwanese immigrant in their local tongue....would that make your f****** blood boil too!??

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 6th 2007 at 1:41 am.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

have you seen that recent movie 'this is england'? it's about skinheads (and national front) in the early 80s in the thatcher years who hate all immigrants for "taking their jobs, having too many kids, getting handouts" etc etc. it's good to see how far we have progressed from that attitude in the past 25 years ....

at least you won't find any of those nasty immigrants in oz
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
have you seen that recent movie 'this is england'? it's about skinheads (and national front) in the early 80s in the thatcher years who hate all immigrants for "taking their jobs, having too many kids, getting handouts" etc etc. it's good to see how far we have progressed from that attitude in the past 25 years ....

at least you won't find any of those nasty immigrants in oz
I'm thinking of learning 'Bosnian etc'

Free gym membership when you move to UK? When did that come in?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I'm thinking of learning 'Bosnian etc'

Free gym membership when you move to UK? When did that come in?
Personally I think it is crap. Do people seriously think that immigrants get to britain and get handed free gym membership/cars/mobiles etc. It is the british press that likes people to believe this happens.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:30 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
You thinking of buying Magnetic Island or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.