Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Moley_88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

Hello their everybody i am new to this site and am just wondering what australia is like and your opinions of it. Could you tell me where you live, how much you rate it and the general cost of living please. I will be possibly be moving early next year if i get a transfer but id like to rent a house but i will be getting around $700-800 take home a week so am wondering would that do a family of 3? thanks people
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might be coming to australia but not completely sold on it

All depends on where you will be living to earn your $700 - $800 a week but IMHO that is almost not do-able. If you want somewhere decent in the larger cities then you will be forking out around the $400 mark for rent then add to that all the other necessities of life - food, power, transport, insurance, communications, clothes, education, entertainment, etc - not very much to be spread very thinly.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment on where to live but just want to comment on the income. And my view is don't even consider it any further on this income. Not sure where you are planning to move to but I have researched Sydney and didn't see many rentals below 500 per week.

What visa are they thinking of anyway? If it is a temporary employer sponsored I'd be suprised if that meets minimum salary rules.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

The following is basically from another thread but got me karma so went down well with some people.

There is something called due dilligence which must carried out before coming here especially those who come without PR.

Australia is a small nation on the edge of the world and completely in a world of its own. Apart from towing the line on some USA policy resulting from the second world war, mainstream Australia is completely oblivious to any thing apart from itself.

Why would a sophisticated, succesful European come here in the first place? It is full of people who have run away from something, the clever ones embrace Australia and make a good life in a country that allows you to do just that.

I love the place but could not imagine a family of three doing that well on the Gold Coast on $700-$800, half of that would be going on rent for something pretty average. Might be different somewhere like the Central Coast where you could carve out a good life but would probably need more income than that.

Last edited by neil248; Jul 4th 2010 at 8:58 am.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moley_88
Hello their everybody i am new to this site and am just wondering what australia is like and your opinions of it. Could you tell me where you live, how much you rate it and the general cost of living please. I will be possibly be moving early next year if i get a transfer but id like to rent a house but i will be getting around $700-800 take home a week so am wondering would that do a family of 3? thanks people
What do you do for a living and what are your aspirations? What sort of person are you? How much capital do you have? Personal, yes, but serious questions.

My advice: because Australia is more expensive now, (for many) and the FX rate so unfavourable I'm starting to see migration as a thing you would treat like a mortgage/job application and not a game or a 'try and see' and would give advice based on that.

You get points for the migration process, well I would want to allocate other points on other factors too.

The fact that more and more people are struggling makes it easier to fall foul of the some of the known issues that people hate. Money is one thing. Fit is another. Possible chances of success are probably among the least I've seen them in years.

Other things - read the "Things I don't like about Australia' thread and firstly work out if any would apply to you, and if they do, if they would have an impact.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moley_88
Okay, here is what I worked out...(if you have PR!!)
Assuming you have a similar three kid, two adults (one wage) family to me...
With your projected earnings you would get another $733 (per fortnight) from the Family Assistance folk. That includes rent assist for a rent of $400 per week.

I hope this makes it easier for you to decide.

HKA
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:01 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
With your projected earnings you would get another $733 (per fortnight) from the Family Assistance folk. That includes rent assist for a rent of $400 per week.
How did you work that out - did I miss something? Last year I was bringing home $750 a week and with a family of 4 in a 3 bed rental we only managed to get $400 a fortnight. Still it is better than nothing.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coolshadows
How did you work that out - did I miss something? Last year I was bringing home $750 a week and with a family of 4 in a 3 bed rental we only managed to get $400 a fortnight. Still it is better than nothing.
I earn more than you have quoted but get more than you got from Family Assist.
Weird.
HKA
x
PS Was that just one income?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

https://secure.centrelink.gov.au/Rat...OriginName=FAO

Try the above link...punch in your details and see what it says?

We have chosen to defer most of the family assistance thingy 'till we do our tax return and therefore avoid 'overpayments'!!

HKA

Last edited by hollykimalan; Jul 4th 2010 at 11:04 am.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:43 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I earn more than you have quoted but get more than you got from Family Assist.
Weird.
HKA
x
PS Was that just one income?
yes, just one income. Maybe it depends where you live.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Would a new immigrant with PR be entitled to the full range of benefits upon arrival? I know they are entitled to something related to having a child but not everything.

I expect anyway that they will not have PR, the temporary 457 visa seems far more common, in which case OP would not be entitled to anything.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Would a new immigrant with PR be entitled to the full range of benefits upon arrival? I know they are entitled to something related to having a child but not everything.

I expect anyway that they will not have PR, the temporary 457 visa seems far more common, in which case OP would not be entitled to anything.
Your kind of wrong there....The living away from home allowance is about the same as the Family Assist they wont get 'cos their on a Temp. Visa...if indeed that's the case.
I have a friend on similar income and his LAFHA is similar to our Family Assist...maybe just a coincidence!
HKA
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your kind of wrong there....The living away from home allowance is about the same as the Family Assist they wont get 'cos their on a Temp. Visa...if indeed that's the case.
I have a friend on similar income and his LAFHA is similar to our Family Assist...maybe just a coincidence!
HKA
Kind of wrong? I thought I asked a question.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I can't comment on where to live but just want to comment on the income. And my view is don't even consider it any further on this income. Not sure where you are planning to move to but I have researched Sydney and didn't see many rentals below 500 per week.

What visa are they thinking of anyway? If it is a temporary employer sponsored I'd be suprised if that meets minimum salary rules.
There are many people in Sydney who earn less than that. They just live further out from the centre and chances are they don't work in the CBD.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jul 5th 2010 at 1:11 am.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Okay not kind of wrong...just plain wrong.

"in which case OP would not be entitled to anything."
That bit....wrong.

HKA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.