Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is MiFi MEANT to be this slow?

Is MiFi MEANT to be this slow?

Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is MiFi MEANT to be this slow?

I've just bought a Telstra Elite (ha ha) mobile wifi thingy. The plan was that I could carry it round to use with my ipod touch, and we could use it on holiday etc where there's no WiFi to check e-mails etc. The stuff I'd read online said this was faster than the other networks.

It's SO slow, though. I tried it today several times in central Perth and several times at home. So far it hasn't managed to open any web pages, and 18 minutes have gone by without me managing to send myself an e-mail (which just says "test" so not a huge file).

Is this normal?

I've just bought us an ipad for Xmas. If I put a sim card in directly will the 3G be just as slow?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is WiFi MEANT to be this slow?

I've changed the heading for you. MiFi sounded vaguely rude to me.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

You must have a dirty mind.

I just looked at the title and thought "I'm SURE I typed MiFi...".

(Which is short for Mobile WiFi, btw, nothing rude )
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
You must have a dirty mind.

I just looked at the title and thought "I'm SURE I typed MiFi...".

(Which is short for Mobile WiFi, btw, nothing rude )
Oh ooops, I'll change it back. Thought you were having a 'slip of the finger' moment.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is MiFi MEANT to be this slow?

I've just bought a Telstra Elite (ha ha) mobile wifi thingy. The plan was that I could carry it round to use with my ipod touch, and we could use it on holiday etc where there's no WiFi to check e-mails etc. The stuff I'd read online said this was faster than the other networks.

It's SO slow, though. I tried it today several times in central Perth and several times at home. So far it hasn't managed to open any web pages, and 18 minutes have gone by without me managing to send myself an e-mail (which just says "test" so not a huge file).

Is this normal?

I've just bought us an ipad for Xmas. If I put a sim card in directly will the 3G be just as slow?
No, the 3G data on the iPad is amazing. We took it with us to Jurien Bay and Kalbarri and it worked brilliantly.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Which network were you with?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Which network were you with?
Telstra for my iPad 3G data. Just went and bought a SIM card from JB Hifi. Very simple.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:41 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Is this normal?

Sounds like there's something not quite right with your setup.

I've only heard good reports of this device at work, and you won't find a faster network than Telstra.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:00 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Is this normal?

No it shouldn't be particularly slow. Although there is the usual lying (sorry marketing), you should still see 1-2Mb data rates. If you are not, then you are very probably on Edge or 2G connection. That's about like dialup.

Should be some way to check in the software, make sure you have a 3G or 'H' connection and that its not defaulting to some wrong APN.

BTW, for occasional use a tethered smartphone can be a better bet. Some providers might complain, but you can then share/use the data bandwidth you've already paid for.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
... and you won't find a faster network than Telstra.
Depends where you are in the country and what device you are using.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:12 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got a Telstra Turbo dongle (oh er misses) plus an iPad plans with Helstra and both are more than adequate for email and surfing.
Something sounds wrong.
Have you tried updating the latest firmware and connection manager?
Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Well it turns out the helstra muppets hadn't activated it properly, so we'll see how it works in 4-24 hours.......
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hooray.......