Reload this Page >

Midwives Migrating???

Wikiposts

Midwives Migrating???

Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

erika is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Midwives Migrating???

Hi everyone,This is my very first time on this site.My partner and I are in the very early stages of trying to migrate to Oz.I have three children from previous marriage (20, 16, 15) and we have a child together (5). Im just applying for a skills assessment at the mo...Im a midwife and have been for last 12 yrs.Would be really good to talk to any other Midwives out there and hear of your experiences. One little thing is worrying me...Im 43,will be 44 in aug.Do you think everything will get sorted in time before i reach the ripe old age of 45 and do you think it makes any diference that i still feel 21.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwives Migrating???

Hi Erika

I'm a midwife too and have been coming on here for the last few weeks and found lots of useful stuff.
We are still at the getting all the paperwork together stage, which is taking longer than I expected especially as I can't much response from the NMC regarding my transcripts (both of my training places have since closed and I cannot obtain a transcript, ANMC siad to ask NMC, who are not very helpful!)
We (OH is a pharmacist, and 2 children 8 & 10) are looking at Tasmania or SA, we are hoping to get out there soon to have a look around but in the meantime spend hours on the internet looking at jobs, schools etc.
I am 40 this year and OH is 38, I would have thought that if you are not 45 til Aug 2008 it should be OK (but not an expert!) as I think it would have all been processed by then assuming there were no great problems.
There is a nurse forum on this site which may also help you.
We are going to an expo in London this w/e to get some info and then as long as I can rev up my OH enough we will get going on it all (OH has to sit exams for his assessment so that will slow things up as they are only twice a year) we may apply with me as the main applicant because that might be simpler.
Where are from, we live in Somerset
Sammy
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sammy,
thanks for your reply.Luckily I have a transcript of my training so will just need to get it photocopied and verified.My only dealings so far with NMC are to ask for a form to verify my registration.Like you tho I did not find them very helpful,infact the girl was quite rude i thought!At the mo im doing all the legwork because we are going with me as the main applicant.Have got appt with magistrate Mon to get birth cert e.t.c. copied & verified.A friend of mine (also a MW) says would be a good idea to request police check forms but not to fill them in yet.Its a slow process isnt it? Hope your w\e gives you some more info.I will keep you updated

I'm a midwife too and have been coming on here for the last few weeks and found lots of useful stuff.
We are still at the getting all the paperwork together stage, which is taking longer than I expected especially as I can't much response from the NMC regarding my transcripts (both of my training places have since closed and I cannot obtain a transcript, ANMC siad to ask NMC, who are not very helpful!)
We (OH is a pharmacist, and 2 children 8 & 10) are looking at Tasmania or SA, we are hoping to get out there soon to have a look around but in the meantime spend hours on the internet looking at jobs, schools etc.
I am 40 this year and OH is 38, I would have thought that if you are not 45 til Aug 2008 it should be OK (but not an expert!) as I think it would have all been processed by then assuming there were no great problems.
There is a nurse forum on this site which may also help you.
We are going to an expo in London this w/e to get some info and then as long as I can rev up my OH enough we will get going on it all (OH has to sit exams for his assessment so that will slow things up as they are only twice a year) we may apply with me as the main applicant because that might be simpler.
Where are from, we live in Somerset
Sammy[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi there

I am a midwife and my hubby is a nurse- we are in the process of applying for 136 modl visa - ANMC assessmsnt was done nearly two years ago now although only got around to sending off application recently (sent off in January, acknowledgeded in Februarly and had meds and police checks requested - two weeks ago) Things are moving pretty fast at the DIMIA I guess. Its actually my husbands skills that we are going out on but I do intend to work - just casual, when we eventually arrive in SA. My best friend is a midwife in Perth at the moment and I also know someone who went out to Adleaide last October ( and is loving it) said jobs were plentiful and not to worry although I think the system does take quite a bit of getting used to!

I have two boys aged 5 and 2 and think the move will be positive one for them - Hubby cant wait and I have days where I think OH my God what are we doing! I am sure its something that everyone thinks

I do love my job (well probably 90% of the time) but I know for sure that I wouldn't still be doing it in 10 years time if we stayed here. If you need any help at all pm me - someone did the same for us and that too was a Godsend!

Lindsey
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

we may apply with me as the main applicant because that might be simpler.

Sammy I would say definatley go with you as the main applicant - Its really straightforward when you are a nurse/midwife! (pretty quick too) - If you need any help pm me!

Lindsey
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Hi Sammy/Erika

My name is Dawn and have been a qualified midwife for 2.5 years. I've been lurking about this website since Xmas and think its fantastic, really helpful when your at the beginning of this rocky road. My other half is in IT and I have two girls, aged 7 and 10.

We're hoping to get out to Brisbane by end of summer next year. Just started the process (scarey....) and when I get my second transcript (1st didn't have deliveries on and few other bits and bobs) we can apply for my registration at Queensland Nursing Council and then will do a modified TRA.

I'm sure you will get your visa in good time. Worse case scenario you could be sponsered, don't think they have any age limits like the visa. What areas are you looking to go to? Good luck to you both.

Dawn
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
Hi Sammy/Erika

My name is Dawn and have been a qualified midwife for 2.5 years. I've been lurking about this website since Xmas and think its fantastic, really helpful when your at the beginning of this rocky road. My other half is in IT and I have two girls, aged 7 and 10.

We're hoping to get out to Brisbane by end of summer next year. Just started the process (scarey....) and when I get my second transcript (1st didn't have deliveries on and few other bits and bobs) we can apply for my registration at Queensland Nursing Council and then will do a modified TRA.

I'm sure you will get your visa in good time. Worse case scenario you could be sponsered, don't think they have any age limits like the visa. What areas are you looking to go to? Good luck to you both.

Dawn
Hi Dawn,
thanks for that.We are looking to go to Sydney(Manly area).My OH brother,wife &3 children live there.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
we may apply with me as the main applicant because that might be simpler.

Sammy I would say definatley go with you as the main applicant - Its really straightforward when you are a nurse/midwife! (pretty quick too) - If you need any help pm me!

Lindsey
Hi Lindsey

Wishing you good luck with your application, although sounds like your flying through. Can't wait to be at the stage your at, it seems like a distant dream at the moment.

Anyway back to the waiting game for this transcript.......

Dawn
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there

I am a midwife and my hubby is a nurse- we are in the process of applying for 136 modl visa - ANMC assessmsnt was done nearly two years ago now although only got around to sending off application recently (sent off in January, acknowledgeded in Februarly and had meds and police checks requested - two weeks ago) Things are moving pretty fast at the DIMIA I guess. Its actually my husbands skills that we are going out on but I do intend to work - just casual, when we eventually arrive in SA. My best friend is a midwife in Perth at the moment and I also know someone who went out to Adleaide last October ( and is loving it) said jobs were plentiful and not to worry although I think the system does take quite a bit of getting used to!

I have two boys aged 5 and 2 and think the move will be positive one for them - Hubby cant wait and I have days where I think OH my God what are we doing! I am sure its something that everyone thinks

I do love my job (well probably 90% of the time) but I know for sure that I wouldn't still be doing it in 10 years time if we stayed here. If you need any help at all pm me - someone did the same for us and that too was a Godsend!

Lindsey
Hi lindsey,I too think oh my god what am I doing especially as my 15 yr old daughter doesnt want to come.Ive been a MW for 12yrs now and work as a co-ordinator on labour ward...definatley cant see me doing that for next 10 years..getting busier & busier with less & less staff or staff going off sick because they are so stressed.we very rarely get a break or manage to get to the loo on shift.I would love my job if i could do it properly.Suppose im hoping things will be better in Oz.Hopefully my OH will get a job with his brother in Oz earn loads and loads then i can lay on the beach all day..I wish
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by erika
Hi Dawn,
thanks for that.We are looking to go to Sydney(Manly area).My OH brother,wife &3 children live there.
Saw some pictures of Manly beach the other day, it looks lovely.

Wishing we had some relatives out there. It will help make your transition much easier especially as they have children. We won't know a soul, but hoping that won't be for long......

Keep us updated how you get on.

Dawn
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:56 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing we had some relatives out there. It will help make your transition much easier especially as they have children. We won't know a soul, but hoping that won't be for long......

Dawn
Manly beach is awesome........was there last month, wish i was back

Manly beach 2007
Attached Thumbnails Midwives Migrating???-australia-2007-232.jpg  
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Dawn
I t looks lovely doesnt it.
will definatley keep you updated
erika
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from others in similar situations, theres a programme on BBC1 tonight which I have recorded all about nurses going to OZ, will be interesting to see what they think of it.
Will try and chase the NMC again tomorrow as until I've got those transcipts I can't progress. I don't know what they will be able to supply me with, I hope it is enough to satisfy ANMC.
For those of you who have already completed assessment, do the ANMC send you a letter confirming you've passed their requirements and how long do they normally take?
Sammy
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our ANMC assessment took about three weeks and we received a letter with a number on it which youneed to put on your visa application

Lindsey
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Great to hear from others in similar situations, theres a programme on BBC1 tonight which I have recorded all about nurses going to OZ, will be interesting to see what they think of it.
Will try and chase the NMC again tomorrow as until I've got those transcipts I can't progress. I don't know what they will be able to supply me with, I hope it is enough to satisfy ANMC.
For those of you who have already completed assessment, do the ANMC send you a letter confirming you've passed their requirements and how long do they normally take?
Sammy
Hi sammy,
Good luck with NMC today,hope you get the transcripts sorted.Did you watch the programme last night? I didnt get to see it.
Erika

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.