Midwives

Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice
Default Re: Midwives

Hi Jackie i am a midwife here in Brisbane

If you think you may at any time want to go back to the Uk and work as a midwife there then i would strongly advise you to do your midwifery training over there before you come.
The United Kingdom NMC does not recognise Australian Midwifery education - you would have to do a top up course in the UK in order to meet the clinical hours and community based competencies,

I understand though if you just want to get over here - it really is well worth all the hard work

And yes midwifery is very addictive - just the best job I could imagine
good luck !!
hope you get here soon
mary
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Originally Posted by marysidey

If you think you may at any time want to go back to the Uk and work as a midwife there then i would strongly advise you to do your midwifery training over there before you come.
The United Kingdom NMC does not recognise Australian Midwifery education - you would have to do a top up course in the UK in order to meet the clinical hours and community based competencies,

I understand though if you just want to get over here - it really is well worth all the hard work

good luck !!
hope you get here soon
mary
Thanks Mary

I gathered from reading about Australian midwives that the course in the UK is more involved than the Aussie version and I understand that I may have to top up.
However we are hoping to not come back to the UK with any luck

Thanks again.........your post was much appreciated

Jackie
xxxxxx
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:56 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

How long did it take to get your midwifery registration through? And is it a similar set-up on delivery suite like the UK? Or is there some doctor involvment?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Hi my visa was granted 3 years ago

It took about 6 weeks to get the registration through then 2-3 weeks from Visa application to medical request then about 4 weeks from then till visa granted Dont know what the time line is like now though

Re midiwfery in Queensland - it is very medically involved dare i say dominated, public and private

about 40-50% of women access private obstetric care which is on the whole completly medically controlled. Midwives do care for women in labour and postnatal in the private sector but not much involvement in the antenatal period. (the private obsterticians very commonly do come in for the births)

It is a time of change though and midiwfery models are emerging
some great opportunities also exist for midwives in the country towns

Like everything else its what you make of it

hope this helps
Mary
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

FlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Thank you Julie........very helpful.

Thanks for the karma Lindsey.........I might need it. The thought of a telephone interview are terrifying.

Jackie
xxx
Hi !

I'm new to this site and this is my first ever quick reply. I'm a midwife too and have just had 2 interviews, not sure which to take, but thats not why i'm replying. Just wanted to share some interview tips that i found helpful.

I researched the hospital website, particularly philosphopy of care etc. Printed them off and had them handy to read over incase of being asked anything related. Also, i made some notes for my answers to typical interview questions e.g Strengths/Qualities, Why you want to work there, Emergency Situation responses etc, and i listed the questions i wanted to ask them. Although it did feel like i was cheating just a lil smidge - sitting on my couch in dressing gown at 6:30am with strong coffee and paper/notes all over the floor, it did help to avoid confusion under speaker phone stress and i was successful in both !

Good Luck !
Donna x
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marysidey

good luck !!
hope you get here soon
mary
Hi

I am a student midwife just going in to my second year. we are looking to come to brisbane next year for a holiday with the view to moving out there in 2009 when i qualify. my OH is a joiner so we had been planning on applying for the visa on his skill after the holiday to have it in time for my completion in 2009. i have just been told by a midwife in the UK that i will need 2 years experience in the UK to work in brisbane and will not be able to get any work if i havnt got it.

can anyone advise me on this as i dont want to come over and not be able to work.

thankyou

sorry forgot to say i am a direct entry student midwife

Last edited by lyndhurst; Sep 4th 2007 at 2:49 pm. Reason: to add
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:21 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

you will get a lot more answers to your questions on this part of the forum
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:29 pm
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

Originally Posted by FlumpBrain
Hi !

I'm new to this site and this is my first ever quick reply. I'm a midwife too and have just had 2 interviews, not sure which to take, but thats not why i'm replying. Just wanted to share some interview tips that i found helpful.

I researched the hospital website, particularly philosphopy of care etc. Printed them off and had them handy to read over incase of being asked anything related. Also, i made some notes for my answers to typical interview questions e.g Strengths/Qualities, Why you want to work there, Emergency Situation responses etc, and i listed the questions i wanted to ask them. Although it did feel like i was cheating just a lil smidge - sitting on my couch in dressing gown at 6:30am with strong coffee and paper/notes all over the floor, it did help to avoid confusion under speaker phone stress and i was successful in both !

Good Luck !
Donna x
Hi Donna,

sounds like my interview. I did exactly the same, saves having to dress up too. Good job they couldn't see me with my bedhead hair
My second interview was 11.30pm so same scenario but with glass wine to steady the nerves! Didn't touch it though til interview was over.......then had several. I actually enjoyed it albeit a bit surreal and I didn't refer to my notes much, nice security blanket having them there though.

Which area are you heading for? We are going to Melbourne, Mornington Peninsular.

Julie