Midwives

Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Question Midwives

I am having so much trouble trying to find a definitive salary for a newly qualified midwife in Western Australia.

All my searches on all the forums I know of have come up blank.

I just need to know the annual salary I would expect to get as a newly qualified midwife in WA.

Any ideas?

Jackie
xxx
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Midwives

Hi there

I guess if you want to practise in WA then you aren't a direct entry midwife - I may be wrong but certainly a few years ago you had to be dually qualified and if that be the case (RN and RM) then your salary would be dependant on the number of years since initial qualification. I qualified in 1995 so I would be on the top level as i think the ceiling is either 9 or 10 years. Look for rates of pay and take your level to be since initial registration as nurse. Hope this helps!

Lindsey
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there

I guess if you want to practise in WA then you aren't a direct entry midwife - I may be wrong but certainly a few years ago you had to be dually qualified and if that be the case (RN and RM) then your salary would be dependant on the number of years since initial qualification. I qualified in 1995 so I would be on the top level as i think the ceiling is either 9 or 10 years. Look for rates of pay and take your level to be since initial registration as nurse. Hope this helps!

Lindsey
yeah I am already a RN and there is a job I am going for where they want RN's to train as midwives in WA.
I was thinking about going for it but I have no idea what I would get paid if I was to then start a job as a newly qualified midwife. Would I be on the same increment as I would be as an RN?
Are the midwife salary scales the same as nurse ones?
In the UK they are paid slightly higher.

For the training they pay 1:2.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

yes midwifes are on the same increment as nurses. My friend is working in WA at the moment at St John of God. I guess your training will be at the King Edward?

Lindsey
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

yes midwifes are on the same increment as nurses. My friend is working in WA at the moment at St John of God. I guess your training will be at the King Edward?

Lindsey
Its actually advertised at SJOG murdoch.....I suppose because thats where the uni is.

Dream job as far as I am concerned. I might go for it.

Jackie
xxxx
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

You would get on to do your training here but unfortunately the chances of getting a job here are slim to non existent! My friend seems to like the SJOG. Go for it!

Lindsey
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

You would get on to do your training here but unfortunately the chances of getting a job here are slim to non existent! My friend seems to like the SJOG. Go for it!

Lindsey
Thanks Lindsey

Wish me luck!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

You'l be fine - Good Luck - Chase those dreams, Perth really is a beautiful place!
Karma sent!
Lindsey
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:56 pm
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

Hi fellow nurses and midwives,

Attached, I hope, is a payscale list for nurses across all the Aus states. Hope it helps. As previously stated, unlike Uk, midwives are not paid at a higher level.

Julie
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Julie........very helpful.

Thanks for the karma Lindsey.........I might need it. The thought of a telephone interview are terrifying.

Jackie
xxx
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:27 pm
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

Jackie,

telephone interviews are okay, much better than face to face and you don't need to get dressed up!

I've had 3. Two at 6.30am, sat in dressing gown with cup of tea, last one 11.30pm, same dressing gown but with glass of wine......to settle the nerves It is a bit surreal talking to 3 people via a speaker phone on the other side of the world that you can't see but the advantage is that they can't see you either so I had notes in front of me to remind me to use certain "buzz" words in my answers Sure beats the last interview I had for promotion over here which required a powerpoint presentation and weeks of research. I wasn't half as nervous this time. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I enjoyed, just aswell seeing as I hadn't slept the night before

Go for it girl, you're worth it

Julie
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itsjulie
Jackie,

telephone interviews are okay, much better than face to face and you don't need to get dressed up!

I've had 3. Two at 6.30am, sat in dressing gown with cup of tea, last one 11.30pm, same dressing gown but with glass of wine......to settle the nerves It is a bit surreal talking to 3 people via a speaker phone on the other side of the world that you can't see but the advantage is that they can't see you either so I had notes in front of me to remind me to use certain "buzz" words in my answers Sure beats the last interview I had for promotion over here which required a powerpoint presentation and weeks of research. I wasn't half as nervous this time. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I enjoyed, just aswell seeing as I hadn't slept the night before

Go for it girl, you're worth it

Julie
Aaaw thanks Julie
karma coming your way

Jackie
xxxx
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Julie - are you a midwife? Where are you headed? Questions, questions, questions!

Lindsey
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsjulie
Hi fellow nurses and midwives,

Attached, I hope, is a payscale list for nurses across all the Aus states. Hope it helps. As previously stated, unlike Uk, midwives are not paid at a higher level.

Julie
Hi

Found this link very enlightening, I am a midwife in UK and currently onĀ£26,000 (ish), although I don't get anywhere near this as I'm on the bank at the moment.
So, looking at these figures, the salaries do not compare well, do they?
Especially as we are thinking of Tas or SA, both at the bottom of the list
Better get my OH in shape for a good job then

Good luck to you all

Sammy
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:49 pm
Registered madwife!

Lindsey, yes I'm a midwife, heading to Melboune, hopefully in November, visa permitting

Sammy, I agree wages do not compare favourably at all. I'm a senoir midwife here working 30hrs a week. In Oz I'll be earning less for 40hrs per week but if you look at cost of living they work out about the same. Go matilda website has a cost of living calculator which is quite good, have a look at what it says you need to earn to maintain same standard of living.

Going to Oz we lose the higher pay band as midwives but keep the same responsibilities so doesn't seem fair really. Hopefully be worth it though Fortunately we have a lot of equity in our house so will be able to buy a very nice house in Oz without a mortgage so will be better off anyway..........well, that's the plan! Plus the better weather, sense of adventure, chance to explore southern hemisphere, outdoor living etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.