British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   midwifery in OZ - has it changed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/midwifery-oz-has-changed-526799/)

di90 Apr 4th 2008 12:34 pm

midwifery in OZ - has it changed?

Hello all,

i have just finished reading an old thread on here from about 2 years ago. It said that in oz midwives, in particular direct entry, were not recognised. Instead they were more like obstetric nurses. Can i ask, has anything changed??

I am a direct entry, newly qualified midwife, looking into moving to oz. Initially the idea was to move to nz (where you are very autonomous as a midwife) but it seems that i may be better off financially in oz (being a single parent i really don't want to live hand to mouth).

So whats it like being a midwife in OZ in 2008?

charlie-k Apr 4th 2008 1:55 pm

Re: midwifery in OZ - has it changed?

Originally Posted by di90 (Post 6158404)
Hello all,

i have just finished reading an old thread on here from about 2 years ago. It said that in oz midwives, in particular direct entry, were not recognised. Instead they were more like obstetric nurses. Can i ask, has anything changed??

I am a direct entry, newly qualified midwife, looking into moving to oz. Initially the idea was to move to nz (where you are very autonomous as a midwife) but it seems that i may be better off financially in oz (being a single parent i really don't want to live hand to mouth).

Hi, I'm not in Aus yet but I am a Midwife who is waiting for Visa.
The impression I get is that it seems to be dependant on location. I had specifically looked at units which were more Midwifery led and have secured a position in a small hospital south of Perth City (If they can hold it long enough whilst I await the Visa decision!:eek:)
Where abouts are you looking to move?

di90 Apr 4th 2008 6:53 pm

i dont have anywhere particular in mind but maybe melbourne or perth.
Only at the research stage as an alternative to nz.

How have you found the the whole process of applying to Oz?

kitty4 Apr 4th 2008 9:04 pm

This may get more replies in the nursing forum, or maybe you could search in that forum for the info - the subject crops up every now and then

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=72

Stitch Apr 4th 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by di90 (Post 6158404)
Hello all,

Hi,

Pretty much the same as it was before. NZ definately has more autonomy and is more in line with the UK. However Australia is changing and so is the way Midwifes are being trained.

Cheers

Ginny

charlie-k Apr 6th 2008 6:40 am

Originally Posted by di90 (Post 6159831)
i dont have anywhere particular in mind but maybe melbourne or perth.
Only at the research stage as an alternative to nz.

How have you found the the whole process of applying to Oz?

We used an Agent, thought it might be less stressful :lol: not true.

zoeNpaul Apr 19th 2008 10:13 am

Hi I am also a midwife looking to move out to OZ hopefully early next year, I have found the same opinion as some of the other posts that midwifery in the private hospitals in obstetric lead, but in the public hospitals or small midwifery units they are midwifery lead, like in the UK with the doc's at hand when needed.

I have also looked at some job applications on hospital web pages and have found midwifes seem to be more recognised now (than a few years ago) as what we are rather than being called a nurse/midwife. There also seem to be more direct entry midwives coming through, let hope it stays this was as we put off applying about 2 years ago as I was too uncertain about the midwifery care out there.

xzx
:wub:

charlie-k Apr 19th 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by zoeNpaul (Post 6232437)
Hi I am also a midwife looking to move out to OZ hopefully early next year, I have found the same opinion as some of the other posts that midwifery in the private hospitals in obstetric lead, but in the public hospitals or small midwifery units they are midwifery lead, like in the UK with the doc's at hand when needed.

I have also looked at some job applications on hospital web pages and have found midwifes seem to be more recognised now (than a few years ago) as what we are rather than being called a nurse/midwife. There also seem to be more direct entry midwives coming through, let hope it stays this was as we put off applying about 2 years ago as I was too uncertain about the midwifery care out there.

xzx
:wub:

Good Luck!
I was a direct entry Midwife and looking forward to working in a small unit.
Hope it goes well for you.:)

DadAgain Apr 19th 2008 10:22 pm

If its autonomy you want then you'd better steer clear of Australian Private Hospitals.

DW wasz a midwife in a Private Hospital here for a while and got so sick of never delivering babies and being forced to pander to the whims of egotistical obstetricians that she left. Private care is totaly driven by OBs and this results in some of the highest ceasar rates in the world ("..got to get that baby out - I'm due on the 1st tee after lunch!" :eek:)

Anyway - Public system is much better, fewer doctors means much more midwife-driven care and much greater chances of non-interventionist treatment. Home-births are extremely rare in Australia though and licencing requirements for homebirth practicing midwives seem to be designed to ensure that its impossible (in order to stay licenced you have to perform 'x' births a year - which pretty much means 'full pregnancy' ante-nate to post-nate care programs are impossble since you couldnt handle enough patients to be registered!).

There is constant pressure from midwives to try and improve this situation and try and drive patient care into a more natural and non-medicalised environment but the Australian passion for bureacracy and qualifications means the public are actually rather keen on the 'doctor' based care model and Governments seem to want to 'improve conditions' by ensuring higher qualified doctors are more involved and improve safety by keeping patients in the controlled environments of hospitals.... :unsure: (yeah I know evidence doesnt seemt o factor into these decisions - 'gut feel' and 'wider public perception' are more important)

ozzieeagle Apr 19th 2008 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 6235187)
If its autonomy you want then you'd better steer clear of Australian Private Hospitals.

DW wasz a midwife in a Private Hospital here for a while and got so sick of never delivering babies and being forced to pander to the whims of egotistical obstetricians that she left. Private care is totaly driven by OBs and this results in some of the highest ceasar rates in the world ("..got to get that baby out - I'm due on the 1st tee after lunch!" :eek:)

Anyway - Public system is much better, fewer doctors means much more midwife-driven care and much greater chances of non-interventionist treatment. Home-births are extremely rare in Australia though and licencing requirements for homebirth practicing midwives seem to be designed to ensure that its impossible (in order to stay licenced you have to perform 'x' births a year - which pretty much means 'full pregnancy' ante-nate to post-nate care programs are impossble since you couldnt handle enough patients to be registered!).

There is constant pressure from midwives to try and improve this situation and try and drive patient care into a more natural and non-medicalised environment but the Australian passion for bureacracy and qualifications means the public are actually rather keen on the 'doctor' based care model and Governments seem to want to 'improve conditions' by ensuring higher qualified doctors are more involved and improve safety by keeping patients in the controlled environments of hospitals.... :unsure: (yeah I know evidence doesnt seemt o factor into these decisions - 'gut feel' and 'wider public perception' are more important)

Spot on post, You've just pointed out the reason, why my wife who is a nurse and knows the way OB's practise, chose to have our 4 kids home birthed.... with a visiting midwife and a home birth doctor.

The downside of that, was no medical insurance cover, and we were 1,000's of bucks out of pocket. My wife was much more relaxed and it showed in the kind of experience we had.

BTW, there is evidence to the ratio of episotmys and caesers and forcep deliveries carried out by OB's, they tend to say at almost identical rates by each indivdual doctor year in year out. The Home Birthing association has the records here in Victoria at least.

Babycatcher Apr 20th 2008 3:52 am

Hiya visited Oz last year and saw some hospitals, appears to eb Midwifery U.K. style in public hospitals and Obstetric nurses U.S. style in private. Think they are looking after their midwives better than the NHS does...at least I hope so :) I hope to head out to Brisbane in 09 and am hoping to be a midwife not a bloody dogs body. On break at work as I type and spent the evening cleaning. WTF three years and a 2.1. degree and I was cleaning!!! Very 'with woman'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charlie-k Apr 21st 2008 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Babycatcher (Post 6235985)
Hiya visited Oz last year and saw some hospitals, appears to eb Midwifery U.K. style in public hospitals and Obstetric nurses U.S. style in private. Think they are looking after their midwives better than the NHS does...at least I hope so :) I hope to head out to Brisbane in 09 and am hoping to be a midwife not a bloody dogs body. On break at work as I type and spent the evening cleaning. WTF three years and a 2.1. degree and I was cleaning!!! Very 'with woman'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you got a break?!!!!!!!!:rofl: