British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Midwife and Psych Nurse moving to Lismore, NSW (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/midwife-psych-nurse-moving-lismore-nsw-921679/)

Pheasantplucker Feb 2nd 2019 2:22 am

Midwife and Psych Nurse moving to Lismore, NSW

Hi, my wife and I are considering moving to Lismore, NSW as she has family out there. Her brother gained his citizenship last year and loves living there. I am 50yrs old (too old for visa) psych nurse with 29yrs experience from in-patient to community to education. My wife is dual trained General Nurse and Midwife with 22yrs and 10yrs experience respectively. We would be moving with our three boys (12,8 and 7). As this is a tentative move I am looking for advice on how to progress ie what comes first and rough timeframes. Also if anyone has experience of nursing/midwifery in NSW or Queensland would you let me know good and bad and rough salary that could be expected? Whether to hire a relocation expert in Oz or UK; how easy to buy a house; etc. We are planning on coming out for a visit this year and hopefully meet some potential employers whilst over.
Any info/advice most appreciated.

Dorothy Feb 2nd 2019 3:44 am

Re: Midwife and Psych Nurse moving to Lismore, NSW

Originally Posted by Pheasantplucker (Post 12631055)
Hi, my wife and I are considering moving to Lismore, NSW as she has family out there. Her brother gained his citizenship last year and loves living there. I am 50yrs old (too old for visa) psych nurse with 29yrs experience from in-patient to community to education. My wife is dual trained General Nurse and Midwife with 22yrs and 10yrs experience respectively. We would be moving with our three boys (12,8 and 7). As this is a tentative move I am looking for advice on how to progress ie what comes first and rough timeframes. Also if anyone has experience of nursing/midwifery in NSW or Queensland would you let me know good and bad and rough salary that could be expected? Whether to hire a relocation expert in Oz or UK; how easy to buy a house; etc. We are planning on coming out for a visit this year and hopefully meet some potential employers whilst over.
Any info/advice most appreciated.

How are you planning to move to Australia to work if you don't qualify for a visa?

Pollyana Feb 2nd 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12631069)
How are you planning to move to Australia to work if you don't qualify for a visa?

I assume (perhaps wrongly) they are using the wife's skills?

verystormy Feb 2nd 2019 5:40 am

How old is your wife?

Dorothy Feb 2nd 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12631072)
I assume (perhaps wrongly) they are using the wife's skills?

Possibly but if she's got 22 years and 10 years respectively of experience she's very likely either over 45 or very close to it.

Pheasantplucker Feb 2nd 2019 8:39 am

I'm 50 and therefore could not be primary applicant but my wife is 42 so still 3yrs under threshold of 45.

Dorothy Feb 2nd 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Pheasantplucker (Post 12631114)
I'm 50 and therefore could not be primary applicant but my wife is 42 so still 3yrs under threshold of 45.

How many points is she scoring when she does the online calculator? Www.immi.gov.au

rammygirl Feb 2nd 2019 11:03 pm

She will also need to check if the qualifications she has meet the requirements for assessment for a visa. And will more than likely need to do an English test for extra points. Or consider a 190 or 489 for the extra points if available.

carcajou Feb 3rd 2019 12:07 am

Does your wife have any Australian experience, or did she get her qualifications in Australia?

Agree with the others - have a very close look at the points calculator. Without Australian experience or a qualification gained in Australia, or unless she has a PhD, it looks like this will be a hard road.

Keep in mind that 65 points is the minimum needed to submit an application - but someone on 65 points is very unlikely to be successful. The process is not "65 points and you are in," each draw the EoIs are ranked by points total and the top ones get invitations to apply in descending order. This also means if you submit on 65 points and next month someone submits on 70 points - they jump you in the queue. Currently 70 points is what is needed to actually get drawn from the pool, but being on 70 points probably puts you in a very long line and could take numerous invitation rounds before/if you come up (and no guarantees - up until fairly recently those on 70 points were not getting drawn). Quite likely being on 65 points means you will never get drawn. Being on 75 points looks like what is necessary to be at the front of the line in the next draw.

Have a look at the calculator and get back to us. I am sure people will be much more willing to talk about Lismore once you confirm your likelihood to actually be able to get a visa.

old.sparkles Feb 3rd 2019 12:55 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12631353)
Does your wife have any Australian experience, or did she get her qualifications in Australia?

Agree with the others - have a very close look at the points calculator. Without Australian experience or a qualification gained in Australia, or unless she has a PhD, it looks like this will be a hard road.

Keep in mind that 65 points is the minimum needed to submit an application - but someone on 65 points is very unlikely to be successful. The process is not "65 points and you are in," each draw the EoIs are ranked by points total and the top ones get invitations to apply in descending order. This also means if you submit on 65 points and next month someone submits on 70 points - they jump you in the queue. Currently 70 points is what is needed to actually get drawn from the pool, but being on 70 points probably puts you in a very long line and could take numerous invitation rounds before/if you come up (and no guarantees - up until fairly recently those on 70 points were not getting drawn). Quite likely being on 65 points means you will never get drawn. Being on 75 points looks like what is necessary to be at the front of the line in the next draw.

Have a look at the calculator and get back to us. I am sure people will be much more willing to talk about Lismore once you confirm your likelihood to actually be able to get a visa.

65 points is enough with sponsorship for 190 or 489 though. A quick check will show NSW is sponsoring registered nurses. You can include the points from sponsorship to reach the 65 required too.