Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Midwife moving to Australia (I have questions)

Midwife moving to Australia (I have questions)

Old Sep 16th 2021, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

May_xoxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwife moving to Australia (I have questions)

I'm a traditional midwife looking to move to Australia. Where I'm from the term midwife doesn't have the same meaning in does in Australia or the UK. We aren't technically considered healthcare workers, we work outside the field. We use holistic practices to help women through labor, particularly home births.

My question is are traditional midwives a thing in Australia? I'm worried about the legal aspect as well as the social aspect. When I search for home births in Australia not much comes up. So I'm assuming it's not really thought for the majority of pregnant Australian women. Where I'm from it's becoming more and more popular to opt for a home birth instead of going to the hospital. Will I will even be able to find work there?
Old Sep 16th 2021, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midwife moving to Australia (I have questions)

Not so much - 97% of births are at hospital, only 0.3% at home. The rest are at 'birthing centres' (clinics)

According to here:

https://www.health.gov.au/health-top...s/in-australia

there are 6,500 midwives here, and 29,000 dual qualified nurses/ midwives. Midwives are very much considered healthcare workers, need a 3 year degree etc.

Process to check if you can transfer your qualifications to Australia is here:

https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.go...you-apply.aspx
Old Sep 17th 2021, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a midwife or nurse, but you may have more luck if you try searching for the term 'doula'
you may have already done this though.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Doulas are definitely a thing here. They are welcomed in most hospitals but cannot perform or advise on medical issues. With home births a qualified midwife would also be present along with the doula. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a doula as it isn’t fully recognised as a profession here. Good doulas with lots of experience are sought after though. The cost isn’t covered by Medicare or private insurance so usually only wealthier patients can afford one.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 12:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
I'm not a midwife or nurse, but you may have more luck if you try searching for the term 'doula'
you may have already done this though.
Originally Posted by rammygirl
Doulas are definitely a thing here. They are welcomed in most hospitals but cannot perform or advise on medical issues. With home births a qualified midwife would also be present along with the doula. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a doula as it isn’t fully recognised as a profession here. Good doulas with lots of experience are sought after though. The cost isn’t covered by Medicare or private insurance so usually only wealthier patients can afford one.
Thanks to you two I've learned something new today, I'd never even heard of the term doula. A bit embarrassing really, considering I've had three children!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by May_xoxo
I'm a traditional midwife looking to move to Australia. Where I'm from the term midwife doesn't have the same meaning in does in Australia or the UK. We aren't technically considered healthcare workers, we work outside the field. We use holistic practices to help women through labor, particularly home births.

My question is are traditional midwives a thing in Australia? I'm worried about the legal aspect as well as the social aspect. When I search for home births in Australia not much comes up. So I'm assuming it's not really thought for the majority of pregnant Australian women. Where I'm from it's becoming more and more popular to opt for a home birth instead of going to the hospital. Will I will even be able to find work there?
Have you got a visa? Not likely that your occupation is going to give you one unless you are a degreed nurse. Not too many home births in Australia - the insurance for midwives is eye watering and it only takes a few bad episodes for the insurance to go up and the number of home births to go down. No idea about the indemnity insurance for doulas but I doubt there's much call for a doula really.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Best route is probably to apply for a nursing degree in Australia, graduate and work as a nurse until you have PR, then become a doula