Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Midnight New Years Eve anti-climax

Midnight New Years Eve anti-climax

Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:03 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midnight New Years Eve anti-climax

We had a great time at Cindy's party last night. (Thanks guys) But we put the TV on at 11.55 to see in the new year and they were showing a repeat of either Sydney 3 hours earlier or Edinburgh last year (couldn't decide which but there were people in both Aussie and Scots get ups). At the stroke of 12 an advert for channel 7 came on with various numbers on it and that was it that, I think, counted down. We all looked at each other in disbelief wondering if that was it and checking our watches. 15 mins later someone sang Auld Lang Syne. Presumably everyone from channel 7 was out partying?
Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:04 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midnight New Years Eve anti-climax

they couldnt give a xxxx...
Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by worzel
At the stroke of 12 an advert for channel 7 came on with various numbers on it and that was it that, I think, counted down. We all looked at each other in disbelief wondering if that was it and checking our watches.
I must admit I saw that countdown too, and was a bit stunned. I can't remember last year, so can't compare. But I don't recall it being as bad as that before !!

That Edinburgh Tattoo thing was held in Sydney

Maybe not many of us were in watching TV, so they didn't bother

Brisbane
A 100,000-strong crowd lined the Brisbane River at South Bank, grooving with salsa dancers and jazz musicians as fireworks exploded to welcome 2006.

Gold Coast
More than 50,000 tourists and residents packed Surfers Paradise for the biggest fireworks display staged on the Gold Coast

Sunshine Coast
Mooloolaba played host to the Sunshine Coast's largest New Year's Eve celebrations, with more than 80,000 revellers hitting the sand for a midnight fireworks display

Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:12 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Dont blame them actually. Summers here and at our party we threw ourselves in the pool at midnight and drank more beers. Anyone who wants to stay in and watch TV deserves adverts I reckon - give the TV people the night off too!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 2:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
Dont blame them actually. Summers here and at our party we threw ourselves in the pool at midnight and drank more beers. Anyone who wants to stay in and watch TV deserves adverts I reckon - give the TV people the night off too!
Even the advertisers agreed.
Not many "normal" adverts on last last night, just the "adult" phone line ones. (I assume they "target" the adverts at the audience they "expect" to have).

I recorded the Edinburgh Tattoo, to show my daughter, but after seeing the adverts, decided not to show it to her. (unless I edit the adverts out)

Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
lol - same here mate. Everyone else went to bed so me and the missus jumped in the pool stark bollock naked. Spent the next hour playing spoof with the vodafone network trying to call guys back home. Got my next door neighbour in the UK who said he'd love to talk but was clearing a backwash of blocked up shit from the drains on the drive.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:24 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

You lot were in the wrong plce.. shoulda been in Sydney
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:57 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about anticlimax, but some inconsiderate bastard started letting off fireworks at midnight - and I had just got to sleep too

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 1st 2006, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

edinburgh was AMAZING tonight!!

best new year i've had in edinburgh ever!

took about 500 pictures with my new camera - posted 5 of the best on edinburgh hogmanay in the barbie!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:15 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane was good but forgot the camera but fireworks very good. We had ice cream and larger (good combination), followed by 9pm fireworks, Son had 9.15pm dip in the lagoon then we listened to the bands before I fell asleep in front of the big screen movie while Hubby and Son watched Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, woke up for impressive fireworks at Midnight.

But, as someone who has seen the Edinburgh fireworks off the castle it didn't quite live up to that plus Edinburgh had a real band playing to the fireworks so the music was spot on timed to the fireworks for max impact.

Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

edinburgh had KT tunstall AND Texas.......... we win!!!

have just seen some clips of the ed fireworks (i was at the stage so missed them) and they looked bloomin good!!!!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:25 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
You lot were in the wrong plce.. shoulda been in Sydney
So where did you eventually pitch up to watch the fireworks then Linda - and did you get there at lunchtime?!

Channel 9's coverage was crap (but then isn't most Australian TV !) - some Australian Idol also-ran singing a prayer until 30 seconds before midnight then straight on to the display. They didn't show the illuminated boats at all - at least not after 11.15 when we started watching.

Glad we've been to one live (2003/4) - that really is the only way to go.

Happy New Year to all

Jim
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:44 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
So where did you eventually pitch up to watch the fireworks then Linda - and did you get there at lunchtime?!

Channel 9's coverage was crap (but then isn't most Australian TV !) - some Australian Idol also-ran singing a prayer until 30 seconds before midnight then straight on to the display. They didn't show the illuminated boats at all - at least not after 11.15 when we started watching.

Glad we've been to one live (2003/4) - that really is the only way to go.

Happy New Year to all

Jim
Hi Jim

We got there about 11am! Theres a lot of false things said about NYE there. First one being the need to get there so early as it gets crowded very early. The place was relatively deserted when we arrived, apart from all the staff setting up. We managed to set ourselves up in THE prime position. Right at the front of the Opera House next to Channel 9 stage. (yes their coverage was crap but the disco inbetween was awesome!) Listened to Anthony Callea rehearsing all afternoon. It was a far cry from over packed out. Everyone had space to sit down on picnic rugs or chairs (which we had) It was suberbly organised. The security staff were really pleasant and helpful. We had the alcohol, drinks and food serveries just around the corner to us and plenty of toilet facilities (didnt even have to queue!!)
Apart from the fantastic fireworks, i really loved seeing all the boats parading past. Nearly every one of them had made the effort to adorn themselves in lighting effects around the red heart theme. Quite beautiful at night with the city skyline behind them.
I did laugh to myself when a lare group of poms started to sing "swing low sweet chariot" which sent the rest of the crowd into silence
A band of Harre Krishnas turned up chanting, playing the bongo drums and tinkling their bells.
There was no aggro, all very good spirited and when some guy inside the opera house got down on one knee at the window to propose all the crowd outside cheered when he put his thumbs up!! I presume she said yes...awwww
All in all we had a great day and a fantastic night.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:54 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Hi Jim

We got there about 11am! Theres a lot of false things said about NYE there. First one being the need to get there so early as it gets crowded very early. The place was relatively deserted when we arrived, apart from all the staff setting up. We managed to set ourselves up in THE prime position. Right at the front of the Opera House next to Channel 9 stage. (yes their coverage was crap but the disco inbetween was awesome!) Listened to Anthony Callea rehearsing all afternoon. It was a far cry from over packed out. Everyone had space to sit down on picnic rugs or chairs (which we had) It was suberbly organised. The security staff were really pleasant and helpful. We had the alcohol, drinks and food serveries just around the corner to us and plenty of toilet facilities (didnt even have to queue!!)
Apart from the fantastic fireworks, i really loved seeing all the boats parading past. Nearly every one of them had made the effort to adorn themselves in lighting effects around the red heart theme. Quite beautiful at night with the city skyline behind them.
I did laugh to myself when a lare group of poms started to sing "swing low sweet chariot" which sent the rest of the crowd into silence
A band of Harre Krishnas turned up chanting, playing the bongo drums and tinkling their bells.
There was no aggro, all very good spirited and when some guy inside the opera house got down on one knee at the window to propose all the crowd outside cheered when he put his thumbs up!! I presume she said yes...awwww
All in all we had a great day and a fantastic night.
Great....pleased that your long wait was worthwhile....... and that it was not as hot as today has been/still is!

As I posted elsewhere, there is currently a major bushfire in the Woy Woy residential area which the brigade is expecting to head to Umina, Pearl Beach and Patonga in the next few hours. They are having major difficulties in containing it as the wind is strong up here and blowing from all directions. There are a LOT of properties at risk from this one and the southerly change is not expected until at least 10pm.

The sky over that way is all different shades of fire and smoke at the moment - poor sods if their houses are in the way of this one.

Jim
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Great....pleased that your long wait was worthwhile....... and that it was not as hot as today has been/still is!

As I posted elsewhere, there is currently a major bushfire in the Woy Woy residential area which the brigade is expecting to head to Umina, Pearl Beach and Patonga in the next few hours. They are having major difficulties in containing it as the wind is strong up here and blowing from all directions. There are a LOT of properties at risk from this one and the southerly change is not expected until at least 10pm.

The sky over that way is all different shades of fire and smoke at the moment - poor sods if their houses are in the way of this one.

Jim

I saw that on the news. Very worrying indeed! We are forecast storms later so hopeflly that may help to quell things.