Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Unified Communications (OCS/Lync)

Microsoft Unified Communications (OCS/Lync)

Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Microsoft Unified Communications (OCS/Lync)

Hi

I am very new to this site, and was hoping I could get peoples advice/opinions.

We are hoping to start the visa process in July, if my husbands company will not sponsor us to move to OZ. They are a big company with many office over the world, so ideal to get a transfer.

If we do apply for a visa, can anyone advise if the job market is buoyant for unified communication jobs? I know it is only just taking off in the UK!

My Husband has 13 years IT experience. His current job title is Microsoft Solutions Architect, and also maintains the internal IT systems for his company. He is heavily involved in Unified Communications. He is highly experienced with Microsoft OCS and Lync.
He also designs and builds hosted OCS & Exchange platforms which are for 15,000+ users.

Thanks
Claire
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Microsoft Unified Communications (OCS/Lync)

Originally Posted by bearclaire1
If we do apply for a visa, can anyone advise if the job market is buoyant for unified communication jobs?
This is my field.

The job market here in Melbourne is massive for this. Absolutely massive. I am putting Cisco and Avaya systems in all over the place into major Australian companies. I am also doing consultancy for carriers who want to add this to their offerings.

I would suggest Melbourne would be the biggest market for jobs in this field in Australia due to both Telstra and NBN being headquartered here along with a massive number of other vendors and companies.

BB
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Microsoft Unified Communications (OCS/Lync)

Excellent thank you.

He was very happy to hear that.
I know if he gets a transfer, we are pretty flexible to live anywhere in OZ. But if we come over on our own backs, then at least we know where to go.

Do you work for a Company or are you a Contractor? And Any idea on what he could expect to get for a salary?

Thanks again
Claire
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Do you work for a Company or are you a Contractor? And Any idea on what he could expect to get for a salary?

Thanks again
Claire
I'm a permanent employee.

Your hubbie could expect to get $100,000 - $150,000+ depending on the role and whether he was permie or contractor.

BB
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:17 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to see some numbers of your Melbourne's IT nob is biggest claim. The basic seek test of Cisco gives 905 to Sydney and 509 to Melbourne.

Either way there will be a job in Sydney or Melbourne.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This is my field.

The job market here in Melbourne is massive for this. Absolutely massive. I am putting Cisco and Avaya systems in all over the place into major Australian companies. I am also doing consultancy for carriers who want to add this to their offerings.

I would suggest Melbourne would be the biggest market for jobs in this field in Australia due to both Telstra and NBN being headquartered here along with a massive number of other vendors and companies.

BB
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This is my field.

BB
I'd second that. MS are all over this like a cheap suit, and I know have hired a number of experienced consultants to push this. I know of a few SME's and a couple of Enterprises putting this in at the moment - as am I where I am.

More generally we're seeing a real shortage of good quality MS infrastructure architects and senior (10+ years) solutions people with solid experience and good communication skills. If he has both, then I would be quite buoyant about jobs in Melbourne right now. No guarantees of course, but as I've said elsewhere, if you're good at what you do in this field, chances are you'll be snapped up quickly.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks bumble69.

It is reassuring that his skills are needed.

If we need to apply for our own Visa, what would the SOL code be for this profession, any ideas? As they seem very non-descriptive?

Regards
Claire
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Thanks bumble69.

It is reassuring that his skills are needed.

If we need to apply for our own Visa, what would the SOL code be for this profession, any ideas? As they seem very non-descriptive?

Regards
Claire
Now that's a whole different subject, and one on which I can give you no help, I'm afraid. I emigrated on my wife's skills and experience. I am merely the 'trailing spouse'...

I'd head over to the immigration forum and wait for someone to tell you to call an agent if I were you
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

That's cool, thanks anyway. I will be the trailing spouse too.... But no complaints, as long as I get out of the UK I am happy.

Claire
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

as long as I get out of the UK I am happy
You may be surprised what you miss about the UK when you are here!

Many people on this forum were keen to get out of the UK and were then so homesick (read: people/familiarity sick) that they went back again!

BB
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

I can honestly say the only thing about the UK is my Family & Friends, but I am used to living apart from them. I lived in Canada for 10 years, with just Mom, Dad and Brother. Then left all my friends behind. And still close to them 20 years later.

When we moved back to the UK, I was keen to leave as soon as I landed.
When I was 21 I moved down south on my own, just never got back to Canada.

My friends/family will always be there on the end of the phone/Skype, and hope to meet great friends where ever I land.

My husband feels the same, his family already live in SA. So we are both very independent of our families.

I will be happy and settled where ever my husband, son and I live. They are my home.

Claire
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go into the Immigration Forum, you can ask all your Immi questions there and use the advanced search facility as well, it's an excellent way of finding info already asked in case you worry about asking a question you may think daft. It won't be, it's just a question you don't know the answer to . Keep the general Aus lifestyle queries to this forum.

Good luck with it all.