Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Miami Vs Brisbane (with a contraversial bit) OOOH!

Miami Vs Brisbane (with a contraversial bit) OOOH!

Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:48 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Miami Vs Brisbane (with a contraversial bit) OOOH!

Ok, landed in Melbourne on Saturday, from Scotland via Florida and flying to Brisbane final destination next week. Luggage arrived in bits - 3 out of 8 cases open another 4 cases dented or wheels off! The case with my 5 grand of camera equiptment arrived as 6 strips of metal and a plastic bag of goods - luckily they still work but are bruised! One case got locked, strapped up and then wrapped in cellophane wrap at the airport and still arrived opened with no cellophane! Sick as a pig! We took full 2x 32k baggage each but that included max baggage for our 3 and 6 year old - which they were too young to carry or push! Bugger the extra luggage allowance - no use if you can't acutally move it plane to plane! Hellish time! Arrived to find that the 2 day cruise to Bahamas we were meant to go on as a pressie from my sister was off as the company had got the dates wrong - company refunded but would not book us on another as they were full! Bit distressed 1st few days! But it got better - We spent 10 days in Florida (Ft Lauderdale) and although I have been there before - I loved it this time. So much for the kids to do, loved the beach life, and really enjoyed the plasticy of it all (which I despised before) - just seems people are always making an effort - to look good, to give customer service etc.... Arrived In Melbourne and (contraversial bit comming...) not really impressed! No insult intended at all to those who have chosen Melbourne - It says more that I am obvioulsy completly superficial and looking for solitude and ruralness - but fairly close to plasticity! I am pretty amazed at the lack of Austrailianness about here, it's all USA and UK, nothing that feels like i'm in Australia yet. Ok, granted I am staying 30 mins from town in a suburb and have only visited the city once - but just not getting the wow vibe I got in USA (much to my surprise). Melbourne feels a bit untidy and not looked after - like outer London around the city, loads of graffiti (which I know is world wide). I really hope not to have offended any Melbournians here or Londonians for that matter. I realise that my opinion is bollox but just wondering if any one else as superficial as I aparently am, has experienced similar? We are due to fly to Brisbane to set up in a weeks time. Question - for anyone who was experienced Miami and Brisbane/Surfers - do they have a similar feel as I have heard? Also have any of you found great differences other than weather between Melbourne and Brisbane? Have I just spent 5 grand to emigrate to Oz when it should have been Florida? Opps! Please don't flog me - just expresing an uneducated opinion.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:57 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Miami Vs Brisbane (with a contraversial bit) OOOH!

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Question - for anyone who was experienced Miami and Brisbane/Surfers - do they have a similar feel as I have heard?

Sounds like you've had an eventful time!
Almost all tourists that I know who have been to Surfers say its similar to Miami. The same doesnt apply to Brisbane though.

Also have any of you found great differences other than weather between Melbourne and Brisbane? Have I just spent 5 grand to emigrate to Oz when it should have been Florida? Opps! Please don't flog me - just expresing an uneducated opinion.
There's a world of difference between Melbourne and Brisbane weather, all year round. Melbourne is a lot more seasonal than Brisbane, I first visited in a September and was suprised to find it was actual cold and raining (as opposed to the warm and dry Brisbane I'd left behind). Brisbane tends to be hot, very hot, very wet, warm and hot all year around. Today in Brisbane its maxing at 29C, tomorrow is the same but with showers.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Piscivorus is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have not been to Surfers Paradise/Gold Coast yet but have been to Brisbane a couple of times and have spent extensive time in South Florida, esp. when I was younger. As far as the climate goes, Miami and Brisbane are similar, although Miami never gets quite as hot. Culturally Miami & Brisbane are really nothing like each other. Brisbane is much smaller and not very cosmopolitan (by comparison). It also isn't as flashy and superficial (which most would consider to be a criticism of Miami). A better comparison would be between Brisbane and Jacksonville or Tampa FL, in terms of climate, size, things to do and level of sophistication of the population. Unfortunately, the U.S. does not have skilled independent migration so you are probably better off sticking to the Gold Coast.

P.

Ok, landed in Melbourne on Saturday, from Scotland via Florida and flying to Brisbane final destination next week. Luggage arrived in bits - 3 out of 8 cases open another 4 cases dented or wheels off! The case with my 5 grand of camera equiptment arrived as 6 strips of metal and a plastic bag of goods - luckily they still work but are bruised! One case got locked, strapped up and then wrapped in cellophane wrap at the airport and still arrived opened with no cellophane! Sick as a pig! We took full 2x 32k baggage each but that included max baggage for our 3 and 6 year old - which they were too young to carry or push! Bugger the extra luggage allowance - no use if you can't acutally move it plane to plane! Hellish time! Arrived to find that the 2 day cruise to Bahamas we were meant to go on as a pressie from my sister was off as the company had got the dates wrong - company refunded but would not book us on another as they were full! Bit distressed 1st few days! But it got better - We spent 10 days in Florida (Ft Lauderdale) and although I have been there before - I loved it this time. So much for the kids to do, loved the beach life, and really enjoyed the plasticy of it all (which I despised before) - just seems people are always making an effort - to look good, to give customer service etc.... Arrived In Melbourne and (contraversial bit comming...) not really impressed! No insult intended at all to those who have chosen Melbourne - It says more that I am obvioulsy completly superficial and looking for solitude and ruralness - but fairly close to plasticity! I am pretty amazed at the lack of Austrailianness about here, it's all USA and UK, nothing that feels like i'm in Australia yet. Ok, granted I am staying 30 mins from town in a suburb and have only visited the city once - but just not getting the wow vibe I got in USA (much to my surprise). Melbourne feels a bit untidy and not looked after - like outer London around the city, loads of graffiti (which I know is world wide). I really hope not to have offended any Melbournians here or Londonians for that matter. I realise that my opinion is bollox but just wondering if any one else as superficial as I aparently am, has experienced similar? We are due to fly to Brisbane to set up in a weeks time. Question - for anyone who was experienced Miami and Brisbane/Surfers - do they have a similar feel as I have heard? Also have any of you found great differences other than weather between Melbourne and Brisbane? Have I just spent 5 grand to emigrate to Oz when it should have been Florida? Opps! Please don't flog me - just expresing an uneducated opinion.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:25 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Ok, landed in Melbourne on Saturday, from Scotland via Florida and flying to Brisbane final destination next week. Luggage arrived in bits - 3 out of 8 cases open another 4 cases dented or wheels off! The case with my 5 grand of camera equiptment arrived as 6 strips of metal and a plastic bag of goods - luckily they still work but are bruised! One case got locked, strapped up and then wrapped in cellophane wrap at the airport and still arrived opened with no cellophane! Sick as a pig! We took full 2x 32k baggage each but that included max baggage for our 3 and 6 year old - which they were too young to carry or push! Bugger the extra luggage allowance - no use if you can't acutally move it plane to plane! Hellish time!
Hi there - just wondering if you could tell me how come you managed to take so many cases. We've been told that we can take 2 x 32kg each but we can't spread them out over more than 4 cases.

That said, all our cases are now jam-packed and we had a nightmare time trying to close them! My real concern then is that customs start trying to get into them and then all our stuff is all over the place. Trust me - if you open one of our cases it will take everyman and his dog to close it again!

All our cases have little padlocks and/or number codes on them. How did they get into your cases?

we're flying via LA a week on Sunday before going on to Brisbane - I hope our trip is more stress-free than yours!

Cheers,
Rob
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived In Melbourne and (contraversial bit comming...) not really impressed! No insult intended at all to those who have chosen Melbourne - It says more that I am obvioulsy completly superficial and looking for solitude and ruralness - but fairly close to plasticity! I am pretty amazed at the lack of Austrailianness about here, it's all USA and UK, nothing that feels like i'm in Australia yet. Ok, granted I am staying 30 mins from town in a suburb and have only visited the city once - but just not getting the wow vibe I got in USA (much to my surprise). Melbourne feels a bit untidy and not looked after - like outer London around the city, loads of graffiti (which I know is world wide). I really hope not to have offended any Melbournians here or Londonians for that matter. I realise that my opinion is bollox but just wondering if any one else as superficial as I aparently am, has experienced similar? We are due to fly to Brisbane to set up in a weeks time. Question - for anyone who was experienced Miami and Brisbane/Surfers - do they have a similar feel as I have heard? Also have any of you found great differences other than weather between Melbourne and Brisbane? Have I just spent 5 grand to emigrate to Oz when it should have been Florida? Opps! Please don't flog me - just expresing an uneducated opinion.
Sounds like you have really only scratched the surface of Melbourne. IMO you have to seek out the areas with character, or seek out a suburb that meets your criteria. Suffice to say that not all of Mel is the same - there sure are bland, characterless, uninspiring bits, but there is a lot more besides.

In a city of nearly 4m people with an ethnic diversity spanning nearly 150 nationalities you will find more than the US influence. I agree, some bits look dirty and dishevelled, but I can't help but feel that all major cities have areas like this.

I have only been to Bris twice for short visits but I would never consider living there above Melbourne. Lots of reason why...family, climate, what the city offers and much more.

I would say that Miami Beach is very much like Surfers (if you consider the beach and vast stretch of tower blocks), altho Surfers is a lot smaller. Dare I say it, Miami Beach is a bit more sophisticated (this is only my opinion and based on holidays to both places.....obviously I have no idea what it is like to live there)
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is a city, like London, Sydney, New York etc apart from there land marks they are all much of a muchness. The inner Melbourne burbs are not typical of all of the metropolitan area and even better beyond and with only a week i don't see how you will leave any better informed. Its a shame, but good luck in QL
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived in Melbourne, but have visited several times - forgive me Qlders, but I am just going to be honest - it has always struck me as having more character and variety than Brisbane. Plus, though the weather may bet chillier, you don't have the constant extremes of heat and humidity which can sap the life out of you.
Each to their own- but I think you need more than a week to decide.

Incidentally, which airline did you fly with?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:18 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Hi there - just wondering if you could tell me how come you managed to take so many cases. We've been told that we can take 2 x 32kg each but we can't spread them out over more than 4 cases.

That said, all our cases are now jam-packed and we had a nightmare time trying to close them! My real concern then is that customs start trying to get into them and then all our stuff is all over the place. Trust me - if you open one of our cases it will take everyman and his dog to close it again!

All our cases have little padlocks and/or number codes on them. How did they get into your cases?

we're flying via LA a week on Sunday before going on to Brisbane - I hope our trip is more stress-free than yours!

Cheers,
Rob
I read it as four of them, with eight cases, so that would be right.

I've always been told you're not meant to travel through America with padlocks on, but regardless, I was in LA two weeks ago, and they just open your bags in front of you... adds to your time in the airport/transit for sure
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:22 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

ooooh, what a question

Got to admit... I just lurrrve Florida, but not that easy to get into though!!After all the years visiting various parts of Florida.. the only time a place came close in the grading was OZ

As for Miami v Brisbane.. got to say MIAMI>>> but more for holiday destination (think its one of those place you keep on your what if?? list.. coz not all a bed of roses for living there, mega crime, mega bucks.. mega partying ) Got to be realistic though!! USA is more difficult to get into, plus mega downsides aswell, best kept as a fav holiday place.

Horses for courses n all that..Im sure Brisbane will live up to your expectations..
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I've always been told you're not meant to travel through America with padlocks on, but regardless, I was in LA two weeks ago, and they just open your bags in front of you... adds to your time in the airport/transit for sure
They told us in NYC that they would open ours last week too. I left the combinations set for them.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:16 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all your comments. There are bits I really like, just think it was not what I expected. My sister lives in Coral Springs near Miami, but perhaps your right - good to holiday to, which I will always pass through when I go home to see my family. We'll see what happens when we get to Brisbane, looking at Hinterland area but that may change once we see whats about. Very interesting to read peoples points of view - that was the most interesting replies I've recieved here. ....OH...by the way....I took advice about lack of chocolate and other comodities from this site and packed up to the gills with nescities I could not live with out.....they have eveything I packed here already! And more Cadburys than I could dream of! Rats and I thought that diet would finally kick in when I arrived due to lack of yummies!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:24 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

We had 2 x 32K each (in max 2 bags) - I have 2 kids that could not carry their own bags. Also 1 x hand luggage each - but they had expensive camera equiptment and although we checked the size of handluggage, they were too heavy and 2/4 had to go in hold. Our equiptment one was in a metal flight case - what a mess when it arrived! We also had one small carry on hand bag each too! We flew Brittish Airways Scotland/London/Miami - then Quantas onto Miami/LA/Melbourne and to Brisbane next week. Brittish airways allow 2 carry on bags - but Quantas only allow 1 but although they put 3 handluggage into the hold, they never charged us. Don't know about locks.....we had combination locks on all. Perhaps not a good idea - but not locking seems silly too - perhaps call airline and ask for advice before you fly. As long as you can carry your own bags and do not have to carry childrens luggage for them too you'll manage. But best of luck to you......it's a little stressfull!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Don't apologise for not being drawn to Melbourne, we can't all like the same places. Although Melbourne doesn't have the initial "wow factor" that hits you as you arrive like other places - Sydney for some people but not me (see, we can't all like the same places) but Melbourne has hidden charm and character that builds up, little hidden gems that once you have been here long enough gives the place a "wow" factor that stays with you. Well, that's how I feel anyway. but it all depends on what you are looking for, if it's that plasticity (as you put it) then Brisbane is probably the place for you, they don't call Brisvegas for nothing .
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Piscivorus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Don't apologise for not being drawn to Melbourne, we can't all like the same places. Although Melbourne doesn't have the initial "wow factor" that hits you as you arrive like other places - Sydney for some people but not me (see, we can't all like the same places) but Melbourne has hidden charm and character that builds up, little hidden gems that once you have been here long enough gives the place a "wow" factor that stays with you. Well, that's how I feel anyway. but it all depends on what you are looking for, if it's that plasticity (as you put it) then Brisbane is probably the place for you, they don't call Brisvegas for nothing .
I'm not so sure about that. That is, i'm not sure anyone who has been to Vegas would call Brisbane 'Brisvegas'. Vegas never sleeps- its the same sensory overload 24/7 365 days/year. On the other hand, I had the misfortune of staying in Brisbane Easter weekend last year & the whole place was a ghost town. Even the 1 casino was completely closed for 24 hrs. over good Friday. Nothing EVER closes in Vegas, even on Christmas. Once everything opened up again we found Brisbane to be a charming little town, but certainly no Vegas. The casino seemed to be more of a local meatmarket than a casino. There wasn't even a poker room!

FYI- post Sept. 11 the FAA banned locks on all luggage passing thorough the U.S. If you put a lock on it they will cut it off.

P.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:16 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

FYI- post Sept. 11 the FAA banned locks on all luggage passing thorough the U.S. If you put a lock on it they will cut it off.

P.[/QUOTE]

Well, I wish they had bloody told us that - we saw then open our bag at Miami and rummage for ages in every nook and cranny - then they locked strapped and wrapped our bag - still for it to arrive in no wrapping and opened. We have lost a 2oo pound microphone from bag!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.