Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A message for all new forum members

A message for all new forum members

Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:25 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default A message for all new forum members

Welcome to the forum.

Reading some of the recent threads here, you may have got the impression that we are all intolerant of new posters asking basic questions, and of people who have different opinions from ourselves. Let me reassure that, for many of us on here, this is not the case.

Many of us have 'been there' with this stressful emigration process and know only too well the highs & lows of the roller coaster ride, and the need to ask pedantic details like 'can I buy bulbs for my uplighter in Oz or should I take some spares with me?' Most of us don't mind you asking things like this & will do our best to help with an answer if we can.

As for what life here in Oz is really like - would you prefer the 'Ministry of Truth' version (ie sunshine every day, food/houses/petrol cheap, everyone out playing cricket/footy all day, no traffic lines, every spare moment spent at a barby on the beach) or the truth: that life here has its ups & downs, many of us like it here and others aren't so happy, but all of our opinions & experiences are valid, and may be of use/interest to someone?

Very best of luck to all waiting for visas - keep the gin/vodka bottle handy for when it gets stressful & remember, there are plenty of us here willing to give you support & other perspectives when the going gets tough.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:30 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A message for all new forum members

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Welcome to the forum.

Reading some of the recent threads here, you may have got the impression that we are all intolerant of new posters asking basic questions, and of people who have different opinions from ourselves. Let me reassure that, for many of us on here, this is not the case.

Many of us have 'been there' with this stressful emigration process and know only too well the highs & lows of the roller coaster ride, and the need to ask pedantic details like 'can I buy bulbs for my uplighter in Oz or should I take some spares with me?' Most of us don't mind you asking things like this & will do our best to help with an answer if we can.

As for what life here in Oz is really like - would you prefer the 'Ministry of Truth' version (ie sunshine every day, food/houses/petrol cheap, everyone out playing cricket/footy all day, no traffic lines, every spare moment spent at a barby on the beach) or the truth: that life here has its ups & downs, many of us like it here and others aren't so happy, but all of our opinions & experiences are valid, and may be of use/interest to someone?

Very best of luck to all waiting for visas - keep the gin/vodka bottle handy for when it gets stressful & remember, there are plenty of us here willing to give you support & other perspectives when the going gets tough.

Cheers,
Anya.
Three cheers Anya!

Moving house is one of the most stressful things most people will ever do in their lives, so it's hardly surprising that most people have stressful times to recount on their moves to an entirely new country!

Anya, they play cricket in Aus? noooooo! I hate cricket! Tell me it isn't true!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:44 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second that. Fire away with real life questions and I'll give real life answers.

Want to know what to bring or leave behind, whether your TV will work, whats worth watching on TV, how much rain there is and how often, which banks are expensive, how much the weekly bus ticket costs, whether Stella is available, which Aussie beers are best, how much cask wine costs, whether Indian takeaways are good, how cheap Dominos Pizza are, whether bluebottles on the beach are a problem, why black cars are a bad idea, what day to buy petrol, what day to rent DVD's (and how much they cost), why iceberg lettuces can be 50c one week and $4 the next, how it only costs $1 to post a birthday card inernationally (not$1.65), when Mother's Day is, whether you can buy fireworks, what Sa Ka Ta is, what the best substitue for Hellman's Mayonnaise is, what time it gets dark, how much an oil filled radiator costs, whether Optus is better than Telstra, what you electricty bill might be (and how soon they'll cut you off if you forget to pay), whether you can buy Patak's sauces, which Naan breads are best, whcih day you can water your garden, what day to put your bins out and what can be recylced, what Fly Buys are, what Rego and CTP mean, whether your Playstation will work, what tea is available, which milk to buy, how much fags cost (and where you can still smoke them legally) or what time the bottle shop is likely to shut then ask away.

Oh and by the way, houses are bigger, it's sunny quite a bit and there are some nice beaches.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jayr
I'll second that. Fire away with real life questions and I'll give real life answers.

Want to know what to bring or leave behind, whether your TV will work, whats worth watching on TV, how much rain there is and how often, which banks are expensive, how much the weekly bus ticket costs, whether Stella is available, which Aussie beers are best, how much cask wine costs, whether Indian takeaways are good, how cheap Dominos Pizza are, whether bluebottles on the beach are a problem, why black cars are a bad idea, what day to buy petrol, what day to rent DVD's (and how much they cost), why iceberg lettuces can be 50c one week and $4 the next, how it only costs $1 to post a birthday card inernationally (not$1.65), when Mother's Day is, whether you can buy fireworks, what Sa Ka Ta is, what the best substitue for Hellman's Mayonnaise is, what time it gets dark, how much an oil filled radiator costs, whether Optus is better than Telstra, what you electricty bill might be (and how soon they'll cut you off if you forget to pay), whether you can buy Patak's sauces, which Naan breads are best, whcih day you can water your garden, what day to put your bins out and what can be recylced, what Fly Buys are, what Rego and CTP mean, whether your Playstation will work, what tea is available, which milk to buy, how much fags cost (and where you can still smoke them legally) or what time the bottle shop is likely to shut then ask away.

Oh and by the way, houses are bigger, it's sunny quite a bit and there are some nice beaches.
Hi Jayr,
I have been in Aus for 1 and a half years and would love to know what the best substitute is for Hellman's mayo (low fat preferably ), have tried a couple but I have been pretty disappointed so far.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:52 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a question! What's Sa Ka Ta!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Jayr,
I have been in Aus for 1 and a half years and would love to know what the best substitute is for Hellman's mayo (low fat preferably ), have tried a couple but I have been pretty disappointed so far.
SWV. It comes in normal and low fat version, costs about $4.50 for a jar about 450g, available in Coles and Woolies and is thick like Hellman's. Jar is about the same size and shape as Hellmans too, I'll see if I can find a picture...

CORReCTION: It's called S&W, also the one from Best Foods is supposed to be similar

Last edited by jayr; Oct 26th 2004 at 1:13 am.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: A message for all new forum members

I agree. I asked some really stupid questions when I was going through the process - TV/VHS tapes/shipping ect. I can see they are stupid now but I am here living the life. Sitting in England staring at the computer looking for threads that 'help'/anxiously waiting medicals or the worst one - waiting for the postman - every day ! I was wishing that we could be in Aus, offering advice. Perhaps we should all remember these times and try to be patient.

One thing I would say is, why do so many expats in Australia spend so much time with expats ? When is Rome........!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:08 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I've got a question! What's Sa Ka Ta!
Small thin round rice crackers in a bizillion flavours, takes up one or two metres in every supermarket
Attached Thumbnails A message for all new forum members-sa-ka-ta.jpg  
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post Anya! Well said

Originally Posted by surfdude

One thing I would say is, why do so many expats in Australia spend so much time with expats ? When is Rome........!
Can't speak for everyone - in my case, I have a lot of friends on Expats and we keep in touch this way; also, having got so much help from the forum before I came over, I would like to try and help people that are following behind.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:15 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by surfdude

I presume you mean real life ones (as opposed to being on here). Well I spend more time with Ozzies than Poms but can understand why people may seek out the familiar
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:18 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I presume you mean real life ones (as opposed to being on here). Well I spend more time with Ozzies than Poms but can understand why people may seek out the familiar
Being a tolerant sort, I'm proud to count all types of people as my friends, even Expats

Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

What a great post! I too asked the most petty and stupid questions when I first started to post on here but I was so happy that people took time out to reply.

I have met so many great people on here, some that have gone home. If my posts have helped just one person then I am pleased.

I have not always posted cheerfully, mostly because I am by far too emotional and often my heart rules my head. But, sharing helps that's for sure!

Mandy
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

I also asked some stupid questions when i first started the process. I sometimes got some pretty stupid replys but on the whole people tried to help. I make the point not to heap SH*T on people who ask similar questions as i have asked them myself. Although i will sometimes try and have a bit of a laugh about it. I have just passed my first year in Oz and am loving it.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Jayr,
Thomy Delikates Mayo by Nestle (but not low fat - just have half your usual portion) - buy at Woolworths.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Thomy Delikates Mayo by Nestle (but not low fat - just have half your usual portion) - buy at Woolworths.
S&W whole egg mayonnaise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.