Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A message for all new forum members

A message for all new forum members

Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A message for all new forum members

Thanks every one for the help with the mayo. To quote Mr Garrison on South Park, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people"....
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Great post Anya4oz!
I never had the benefit of this forum before I arrived here, only found it after we arrived! But I really wish I had, it would have made our transition so much easier if we had been able to ask (even the silliest...!) questions, to people who had already been there and done it/going through the same process as us, and to hear different peoples views on things. I know I would want to hear good and bad (that's life!) and then be able to pick out what would be relevant to us. Freedom of speech should always be encouraged, it is up to us what we decide to take on board......
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kath n kim
. Freedom of speech should always be encouraged, it is up to us what we decide to take on board......
The difficult thing can be telling what is real and what isn't ?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Welcome to the forum.

Reading some of the recent threads here, you may have got the impression that we are all intolerant of new posters asking basic questions, and of people who have different opinions from ourselves. Let me reassure that, for many of us on here, this is not the case.

Many of us have 'been there' with this stressful emigration process and know only too well the highs & lows of the roller coaster ride, and the need to ask pedantic details like 'can I buy bulbs for my uplighter in Oz or should I take some spares with me?' Most of us don't mind you asking things like this & will do our best to help with an answer if we can.

As for what life here in Oz is really like - would you prefer the 'Ministry of Truth' version (ie sunshine every day, food/houses/petrol cheap, everyone out playing cricket/footy all day, no traffic lines, every spare moment spent at a barby on the beach) or the truth: that life here has its ups & downs, many of us like it here and others aren't so happy, but all of our opinions & experiences are valid, and may be of use/interest to someone?

Very best of luck to all waiting for visas - keep the gin/vodka bottle handy for when it gets stressful & remember, there are plenty of us here willing to give you support & other perspectives when the going gets tough.

Cheers,
Anya.
hoorah for you anya

arlene
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice 1 Anya

There are soooo many things that I have learnt on this site & still learning
Everyone is different and wants to know all sort of different things so keep posting guys!!!!

Sue2
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:12 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Welcome to the forum.

Reading some of the recent threads here, you may have got the impression that we are all intolerant of new posters asking basic questions, and of people who have different opinions from ourselves. Let me reassure that, for many of us on here, this is not the case.

Many of us have 'been there' with this stressful emigration process and know only too well the highs & lows of the roller coaster ride, and the need to ask pedantic details like 'can I buy bulbs for my uplighter in Oz or should I take some spares with me?' Most of us don't mind you asking things like this & will do our best to help with an answer if we can.

As for what life here in Oz is really like - would you prefer the 'Ministry of Truth' version (ie sunshine every day, food/houses/petrol cheap, everyone out playing cricket/footy all day, no traffic lines, every spare moment spent at a barby on the beach) or the truth: that life here has its ups & downs, many of us like it here and others aren't so happy, but all of our opinions & experiences are valid, and may be of use/interest to someone?

Very best of luck to all waiting for visas - keep the gin/vodka bottle handy for when it gets stressful & remember, there are plenty of us here willing to give you support & other perspectives when the going gets tough.

Cheers,
Anya.

Nice post Anya, I remember when Jill and I first posted, we were always a little worried that we didn't come across as asking stupid questions......god knows what people think of us now !!!

My advice to new posters is always do a thorough search on your question first as sometimes people ask the same question and the thread was only on a few days earlier.

Jill and I will always be happy to help new members as the fun and camaraderie and new friends we have gained has gone a long way to helping us get where we want.

Best wishes and good luck to all those on the rollercoaster of application

Warren
Leaving tomorrow don't you know !!

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jayr
Small thin round rice crackers in a bizillion flavours, takes up one or two metres in every supermarket
You can buy them in Tesco!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
You can buy them in Tesco!
And Sainsburys - not that brand, but another just as good.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:48 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

well said Anya!!!
I dont come on here much these days cos i got sick and tired of the arguing, and the bitchy and patronising comments made by some posters. seems no one is allowed an opinion whether its good or bad, and there is always someone ready to jump on your comments and tear them apart.
The final straw for me was when someone asked about the legal process for families who had children from previous relationships and wanted to know what there options would be. The number of people who started moralising and lecturing was appalling....who the bloody hell do some of you people think you are? and the number of people who comment on punctuation and grammar.....FFS!!!
anyway, enough said.
thats my pennys' worth.

The majority of people on here are genuine, sincere, kind and helpful....its just the odd few who stir things and spoil it for everyone else.

ttfn
sue
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

cazzamack is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have been using this forum to research bit of information for a few weeks now - particularly about passport expiry.

I am so glad that i have found this thread as i was worried that by posting my question, i would be deemed daft and green, especially after reading a thread about wingeing poms.

It now seems that there are people on here that are ready to help and offer sound advice and tell the truth, which after all, is what most of us would like.

My family and i have been granted our subclass 457 visas and we are leaving the UK in January and heading for Sydney. We cant wait. we know it might be tough at first, but what the hell. i have asked all of those questions about the TV and light bulbs - luckily to friends and relatives that already live in Aus.

I have also had to go through the whole legal process of getting children from previous marriage a visa and all of the legal documentation and permissions required, so if anyone would like to know about the experience, please let me know. i am promising i can help as my story is one of an ex who wants his children to have the opportunity of living in another country and agreed fully to sign anything.

Again, thank you for reassuring me that any question will be answered - no matter how silly i will feel asking it, as i think now will be the time for me when i really start to panic about what we are about to do!!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:46 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by cazzamack
Hi,

I have been using this forum to research bit of information for a few weeks now - particularly about passport expiry.

I am so glad that i have found this thread as i was worried that by posting my question, i would be deemed daft and green, especially after reading a thread about wingeing poms.

It now seems that there are people on here that are ready to help and offer sound advice and tell the truth, which after all, is what most of us would like.

My family and i have been granted our subclass 457 visas and we are leaving the UK in January and heading for Sydney. We cant wait. we know it might be tough at first, but what the hell. i have asked all of those questions about the TV and light bulbs - luckily to friends and relatives that already live in Aus.

I have also had to go through the whole legal process of getting children from previous marriage a visa and all of the legal documentation and permissions required, so if anyone would like to know about the experience, please let me know. i am promising i can help as my story is one of an ex who wants his children to have the opportunity of living in another country and agreed fully to sign anything.

Again, thank you for reassuring me that any question will be answered - no matter how silly i will feel asking it, as i think now will be the time for me when i really start to panic about what we are about to do!!!!!
Nice post, you see, we're not all bad !!

Good luck

Warren

Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And to everyone already there who has heard all the questions, whether good or bad, please take a deep breath, count to 10 and then reply. Don't just dive in with "clever" "sarcastic" replies. It doesn't help. Most of you are brilliant - thank you but others, perleease - you are not doing yourselves or the country any favours.

We want honesty, warts and all, just look at what you have written and how it could, possibly, be read. Unless of course everyone is having a damn good row of course
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:12 am
Just Joined

ZippyGeorgeBungle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks for the welcome. Great to know I can ask for advice as have only recently discovered this site. Will now bombard you with questions!
George
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:15 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

I have found this site to be a source of information and the people on here are never too busy to help and advise with whatever question one has, so thank you...

I have read through some of the posts on this thread and have seen alot of threads about the advantages and disadvantages of moving abroad..
Emigrating doesn`t work out for everyone and I can imagine it being difficult settling in a strange country thousands of miles from where you are familar with everything in life..
But isn`t life what you make it? We all have to take the good with the bad and work for want we want to achieve!

Deb
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:30 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Nice post Anya, I remember when Jill and I first posted, we were always a little worried that we didn't come across as asking stupid questions......god knows what people think of us now !!!

My advice to new posters is always do a thorough search on your question first as sometimes people ask the same question and the thread was only on a few days earlier.

Jill and I will always be happy to help new members as the fun and camaraderie and new friends we have gained has gone a long way to helping us get where we want.

Best wishes and good luck to all those on the rollercoaster of application

Warren
Leaving tomorrow don't you know !!
Warren! Leaving at last, and soon your whole family will be reunited! Terrific, I'm so pleased for you all!!

[Yes, I fondly recall those early days when we all asked our daft questions, and got some fantastically useful & entertaining answers from the 'old hands'. And now many of us are 'old hands' & over here, dealing with recalcitrant UK electrical goods *for real*! ]

Have a great trip!

Cheers,
Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.