Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MERMIAD BEACH, TUTRLE BEACH RESORT ? ANY GOOD ?

MERMIAD BEACH, TUTRLE BEACH RESORT ? ANY GOOD ?

Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default MERMIAD BEACH, TUTRLE BEACH RESORT ? ANY GOOD ?

We debating whether to stay at Surfers or Mermaid that is my husband, our 3 year old and I. If you have stayed here please let me know what you thought. Some say SUrfers is better as has markets shops and resturants.....what is there at MErmaid, enough ????
What were the pros and cons of hotel/apts
Have been reading reviews and stuff on the net but non the wiser
Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MERMIAD BEACH, TUTRLE BEACH RESORT ? ANY GOOD ?

Hi, we stopped at Turtle Beach a couple of years ago, there isn't much to do and we drove in to Surfers every day. However we stayed at the Magic Mountain Resort and loved it as we had a great sea view and were watching the whales every day. It is still a long way out though. You could try the Paradise Resort, I have never been but they say it's great if you have kids. http://www.paradiseresort.com.au
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't stay at mermaid if I were you, nothing around there other than a few tacky shops. Turtle Beach Resort is on a busy main road aswell, not on the beach as the name suggests!
Have you looked at Broadbeach? Next place along from Surfers so easy access and a much nicer place to stay Sorry don't know of any actual hotels or apartments though.
Or you could always stay at Seaworld Resort - http://seaworldresort.myfun.com.au/ Your 3 year old would love it there That's at Main Beach.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:19 pm
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we're currently on holiday at burleigh heads, its really great. we've been here since friday and its just me, my oh and 2 year old. She loves the beach, theres loads of surfers about and heaps of shops. Havent been upto mermaid beach (except driving down the hwy) but surfers looked a bit too built up for us (in truth so far every bit of coast we've seen has several high rise apartments.

We're staying in the gemini court apartments, i couldn't believe the size of it, the square footage must easily be larger than our two bed semi at home!

Its quarter past 7 in the morn, my partner has gone to the shops to get a paper and my daughter is sat in front of foxtel watching futurama lol. Just a lot warmer (despite another cloudy day) and a much better view!

There's so many families around its incredible. think a lot of aussies have come on their hols here, not met any expats or fellow poms just a lot of families from melbourne! almost everyone you pass on the streets say hello and have kids . . .

Just wish i didn't like it so much - we won't qualify for visas for quite a while . . . the idea was moving to france instead and maybe look at going in 5-10 years when we can, but we just love it so much here! its not fair
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:39 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

we stayed at turtle beach resort at mermaid beach, and it is only about a 3 minute walk to the beach - we found it quiet and uncrowded compared to surfers. Absolutely loved turtle beach resort - we were there in the middle of winter and it was good - a few folks about so not busy at all (we got there just as the rain came after a 3 month drought!!)
there is a huge drag of shops up the highway, as well as a putput course, hooters, kfc, cheesecake shop and loads of others
... and pacific pines (?) mall is just a 10 minute bus ride away.
we found the bus service frequent up to surfers, no problems at all.

have a look on tripadvisor.co.uk - some good reviews on there for the area